1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking back at Neil O'Donnell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You would argue incorrectly. You were losing the argument, so you changed the time period being used.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bradshaw's unpleasant relationship with some fans began before his career ended and there is far more to it than his criticism of Tomlin. He had a bitter relationship with the team for many years and avoided returning to Pittsburgh. Here is just one example of the issue going back to the '80s. You could do some research on Google and find a lot more.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-05/sports/sp-505_1_terry-bradshaw

Bradshaw felt he wasn't loved or respected enough by the organization, Chuck Noll, his former teammates and the fans and it led to some ugly relationships for a long time. In the '90s, he began to soften his view and try to repair things.

Also, the accusation against Roethlisberger that was mostly discredited happened in Lake Tahoe, not Las Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't say handed them the game, Steelers never led. Sealed their fate more accurate.

NO was a good QB for us, I think they'd have gotten to another SB with him. He was a game manager that didn't make mistakes. Unfortunately he picked the biggest game of the season to makes some.

Give Dallas some credit, don't forget what that team did that decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was in a fog for nearly a decade after the SBXXX loss. He picked one hell of a game to have his biggest melt down. I don't despise the guy but I will always question whether the ball actually just "slipped" on the second pick. Jerry Jones has some huge pockets and I wouldn't have put it past either of them to tilt the game if need be.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course you don't. See formerscribe's post above

6. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    When I think of Beetlejuice......don't say it 2 more times.......I think of SB XXX and the end of the game vs Chargers the year before.
    He did some good things, but honestly, he was paid as a professional football QB. Surely, he would make a few plays?? He made it to the NFL.

I do remember SB XXX well. Ernie Mills injury in the game was bad. We got off to a very slow start and almost overcame the situation.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder - and it's a genuine wondering rather than an argument - if having set such a benchmark in the 1970s has shaped some fans to focus on the 'golden eras' over and above the other times.

When a team has reached the peaks that this one has, I find the middling-to-good times/players tend to get forgotten and categorised as awful. (Not by everyone obvs - the discussion on where Lipps rated as a WR was really interesting on that count)

Watt Wack makes the point about how much the interim QBs deserved the dislike, but I don't agree they were all terrible. Kent Graham was fairly terrible, yes. Maddox fell apart latterly, but as you say Heinz, at one point he was a reinvented hero all set to lead us to the promised land. Brister was ok. Malone set a fair few records while he was here, but was also an *******. None of them were great, but none of them in the realms of, say, Akili Smith.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We did have a coach during those years that liked defense and running the ball more than trying to find a QB. Cowher embraced those game managers. He liked to keep it close, win TOP, run the ball and not lose close games. Not a QB to win it for you but one not to lose it for you.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    You kidding me? Dallas thought they were gonna win that game by 50, we barely beat a horrible Colts team the week before.......... Dallas starting offensive line, michael irvin and half there defense were drinking and doing blow all week with hookers...... They had zero respect for us and still won....... Michael irvin is on record saying that they overlooked us and they almost paid for it.......

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    O'Donnell is really the QB we should compare these to, since he is the subject of the thread.

O'Donnell was better than any of those Miami QBs you listed, since Marino left.

Are any of those Jets QBs better than O'Donnell? Last time I checked, none of those QBs led their team to 2 conference championships and a Super Bowl.

Stafford better than O'Donnell? Yeah, maybe with inflated stats that led his team nowhere... that's like saying Romo was a better QB than Staubach.

O'Donnell from '92-'95 was better than Cousins is now, IMO. I don't give a sh!t how much money Cousins makes. O'Donnell got a big-ass payday too from the Jets in '96 that broke spending records for that time period.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018