1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking back at Neil O'Donnell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    OK Skins winning those were Joe Gibbs genius. McMahon? Probably the most dominant D in the history of the NFL. How often does that happen? Your examples are extreme. But sure, you can win a SB with a ho hum QB, but it sure as frick helps if you have a baller at QB.

2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Holding Smith to less than 3 yards a carry is a big deal. The 2 TD`s were probably goal line plunges.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    LOL, yeah I agree. :thumbs_up:

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And yet our D played well enough to put us in position to win and some great coaching helped bring us out of an early hole.......and then what???? Yep namless made sure we didn't complete the comeback. I remember all the talk about how great the Cryboys oline was and how undersized our front 7 was. All that don't change nothing we were in position to make one of the greatest comebacks in the biggest game and nameless choked!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think what bugs me most about that Super Bowl loss, is that Barry Switzer was coach of the cowboys. Talk about riding on the coat tail of Jimmy Johnson's team to win a super bowl. Barry acts like he actually did something. Everyone thinks Tomlin rode on Cowher's coat tail to win the Super Bowl.

Makes me ill to think he is one of the few coaches to win a Super Bowl and an NCAA championship.

Stupid part was Jerry Jones, had he kept Jimmy Johnson happy, and not butted heads, they might of won even a couple more super bowls.

Luckily for us he was dumb, and made him mad. Jerry Jones has too much of an Ego to not get credit, instead of passing it on to the person who really deserved it. Micro-manager at it's finest. Just like Al Davis. But, Al Davis actually knew football, as he was actually a coach before being an owner. Jones is an oil tycoon, who think he knows everything about the game. Any one who works for him is a puppet. But, I will say he did build one heck of a football stadium on his own dime, and didn't pass it on to tax payers, like most NFL owner do. So I will give Jones credit for that much.

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    The one TD was a short one. And, yes, holding Emmitt to 50 yards is a good job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those are enough examples to show it wasn't correct to say that there were only three examples of teams winning without elite quarterbacks. There are plenty of examples, including Foles last season. We can count last season as modern era, right?

8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Oh, big deal, the # is higher than three, but does that do anything to refute the core assertion? And, it's too early to say Foles is a ho hum QB. What if he wins another ring? Then what?

So, let's see how much water your argument holds. You claim non-franchise QBs win rings in abundance? That franchise-type QBs don't win more?
    Or, whatever your assertion is - don't want to be accused of using a straw man argument.

The last, most recent SB-winning QBs over the last quarter century:

Foles
    Brady
    Manning
    Brady
    Wilson
    Flacco
    E. Manning
    Rogers
    Breese
    Ben
    E. Manning
    P. Manning
    Ben
    Brady
    Brady

B. Johnson
    Brady
    Dilfer
    Warner
    Elway
    Elway
    Favre
    Aikman
    Young
    Aikman
    Aikman

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you're going to just define the modern era as whatever you think fits your argument? Sorry, but that's crap.

Also, it is a big deal when you make arguments with inaccurate information.

Foles is not a franchise quarterback. This is not a guy just getting his first shot. This is a former starter who faltered so badly he was nearly out of the game and he was the Eagles' backup.

What level of quarterback are we talking about? Elite guys or just solid starters? Eli Manning is a solid starter who had two well-timed hot streaks. Flacco is a solid starter who had one well-timed hot streak. I'm just looking for some clarification on that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    As they said in Monte Python's Holy Grail: "Run away, run away."

If a quarter century isn't a long enough of a span for a trend analysis, let's go back to the 1930's!

And, I didn't even bold Foles as a FQB to begin with, but if he wins some more postseason games, he could slide that way. You act as if he has always been garbage but in 2013 he had a 119 QBR and a 64% completion rate and in 2016, a 65.5% completion rate and 106 QBR.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I don't act as if he has always been garbage. I gave an accurate representation of his career, far more accurate than your representation of my post.

The real modern era of quarterback play goes back to the rule changes before the 1978 season to drastically open up the passing game. You chose a time frame to fit your argument because you saw holes getting poked in it. Now you are using a ridiculous, hyperbolic response to cover for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Whatever makes you feel good, Scribe. I'd argue even the last decade would prove the point, but I gave you 25 years.

And this....

And, I didn't even bold Foles as a FQB to begin with, but if he wins some more postseason games, he could slide that way. You act as if he has always been garbage but in 2013 he had a 119 QBR and a 64% completion rate and in 2016, a 65.5% completion rate and 106 QBR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    how bout we switch around neil o'donnels name and spell out a better steeler legend that never was

Ed O'neill

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Foles shows flashes of brilliance at times. I would want him.

Not like Ben doesn't throw duds. those duds are coming up more frequently too.

shame on me. why would I say that....

brb gonna go get the battery and clamps

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Seems like all starting Steelers QBs not named Bradshaw or Roethlisberger are disliked with fervor by Steelers fans. It doesn't matter who it is... Malone, Stoudt, Brister, O'Donnell, Stewart, Graham, etc.

If it wasn't for the OT pick 6 in the Jacksonville game of '05, Maddox would've escaped the hate, IMO. That game ruined him like SB XXX ruined O'Donnell.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You only have Peyton in there once?

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nah, Bradshaw and Ben are disliked with a fervor too. Don't you read these posts?

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Off the field issues....

Bradshaw is despised by some because he's not a Tomlin fan boy.

Roethlisberger is despised by some because of the incidents in Georgia and Las Vegas.

For the most part, those QBs are loved by Steeler Nation because of what they have delivered the franchise, on the field.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    AND..................they just happen to all mostly suck, why would we be big fans?

Had NOD not thrown those horrific ints in the SB, and, perhaps had he not fled town like it was full of lepers....perhaps, he wouldn't be hated on.

But Malone, Stoudt, Brister, Stewart, Graham were ALL terrible. The gap of decent QBs between Bradshaw and Ben is inexcusable. No team, this side of the Browns, had a chasm like that between decent qBs.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If we're talking franchise caliber QBs...

Dolphins have been struggling at QB since Marino left. That was 18 years ago.
    Redskins have been through many mediocre QBs since Rypien, Williams, Theisman. Rypien last played 25 years ago.
    Jets only had Favre for a year... the rest have turned out to be journeyman QBs since freakin' Namath! That's longer than I've existed and I'm in my mid 40's.

Those are 3 I can think of off the top of my head.

Lions, too... so far have never had a QB that could put them over the top. Nothing against Charlie Batch, he is the best backup QB we've ever had.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It started out as a green font moment but, I was around in the 70s and 80s. Bradshaw is despised by some for the way his play declined in his later years and the way he left the game. Ben is despised by some (they're on here) for his inconsistent play and 5 int games

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    1st of all, Miami has been a picture of a clown car since Jimmy was there. Secondly, if you think you can find a comparable QB
    to Marino, all Dan was is arguably the best passer in the history of the NFL. How hard is that to replace? Easy, right?
    Thirdly, a few QBs since Marino in Miami were better than total dog sh-t. Scott Mitchell, Steve DeBerg, Fiedler, Culpepper,
    Pennington, Matt Moore, etc. were no world beaters, but they weren't bottom 5 either. But that team has been run like crap since Jimmy was there.
    Even the 80's Steelers were better run than the Fins since JJ.

Redskins have been through many mediocre QBs since Rypien, Williams, Theisman. Rypien last played 25 years ago.

Cousins just became the QB with the highest guaranteed $ in the history of the NFL. You forgot that?

Jets only had Favre for a year... the rest have turned out to be journeyman QBs since freakin' Namath! That's longer than I've existed and I'm in my mid 40's.

OK, you bring up the Jets....the single worst team in the last 40 years other than a short stint with Rex where they twice made it to the AFCC game. And Testaverde,
    Todd, O'Brien, Boomer, Penington, Favre were not that bad as the likes of Cliff Stoudt.

Those are 3 I can think of off the top of my head.

Lions, too... so far have never had a QB that could put them over the top. Nothing against Charlie Batch, he is the best backup QB we've ever had.

Stafford is better than anyone that Pgh had between Bradshaw and Ben. FACT.

23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Huh? Bradshaw's best Super Bowl play was in 1980 vs. the Rams. He retired in 1983. And 1981 and 1982 were two of his best QBR seasons. And in 1983 he played one game, period. I don't see how your assertion is accurate.

24. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    4 pages talking about this Bum? Can I have some moderator rights so I can nuke this thread? I will gladly take on the role of making sure his name is never seen/mentioned on this message board again. :mad::thumbsdown::rant:

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Mannings are listed 4 times, twice each for Peyton and Eli.