1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Longing for the scheming in 2005

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have such fond memories of the 2005 playoff run - dominating Indy and whipping the Broncos. It seemed as through in that run, we had clear game plans tailored to the opponents strengths and weaknesses - both on offense and defense. I am an avid fan but probably naive as to what really goes into a game plan, but those games seemed well thought out. This season, it seems pretty much it is the same thing over and over (with the exception of the Patriots game - what was up with that?), with no consideration of the opponent. Unless you consider "Stop the run at all costs and then let them complete long passes" a good defensive strategy against Denver and "bombs away, even into triple coverage, and hope Wallace can catch it" as an offensive strategy. This isn't game planning. I think the Steelers have pretty decent athletic talent on their team, but the planning has taken a big step backwards over the last few years. No "Blitzburg". No "Take the air out of the ball".

Sure, all the injuries hurt us, but that doesn't excuse the lack of attention to detail in game planning.

2. AzStillerFan79

AzStillerFan79 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't forget the patented BA screen pass on third and long, which has worked once in 100 tries.