1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Little insight to the defensive woes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Can we really say Burnett is a factor when he's literally never played for the Steelers?

As of today, Burnett and I have the same amount of snaps played for the Steeler.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He is in the sense that they can't employ the defense they want. Berhe forced onto the field is bad, Edmunds was only supposed to play in sub packages, not start and Bostic is being asked to play much more then they intended.

Burnett is a good player, just has to get healthy.

4. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Have you played in two games and started one for them, too? Burnett played in the opener and started against the Chiefs. Please have your facts in order before you comment. Thanks.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong. The coaches had a plan that involved starting Burnett. They have not been able to implement that plan in three of the four games this season, and I believe he was unable to finish the game against Kansas City. You can argue how much difference he would have made if you want, but the Steelers have not been able to deploy their personnel the way they planned this season. That is a fact.

Regarding your opinion, being forced to use Edmunds more than expected is part of the problem. Being forced to replace Haden with Sutton against the Chiefs hurt. Being forced to replace Hilton with Sutton against the Ravens hurt. Being forced to use Behre on defense rather than just special teams hurt. All of that was due to injuries.

There is no doubt they have played like crap and I'm not sure it is going to get much better, but I would like to see the defense with everybody healthy at some point this season. We haven't seen that yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Injuries happen to every team, they're part of the sport.
    The ability to overcome injuries (and at least remain competitive) is one of the things that distinguishes great coaches.
    'Next man up', right coach...?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    From what I see from the defense and this is just my opinion, there just not very good at the game of football.. Like they look like they should be doing anything else with there lives but playing the game of football.. They can be maintenance workers, mechanics, a general manager at a shop n save. They can do anything with there lives that they wanted.. Just not football

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If there are 13 games this weekend, in 12 of them you will see the DBs and WRs arm wrestle throughout the routes. In the other game, the Steelers’ DBs usually cover by following a yard or two behind the wr, stay back about 3 yards, leave the opposing TE completely open, and never keep the S deeper than whom the opposing QB chooses to throw the ball too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand injuries do play a factor ... but can someone answer why they used TE as a FS where he hasn’t played and used SD in the box? You can use injuries as a excuse but what is the excuse of using players out of position . That poor kid got burned bad back there? Oh maybe they wanted to use SD at SS to slow down the TEs.... excep for the fact they didn’t cover them at all....

12. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    We are talking about Morgan Burnett. If he is the answer on D we might as well forfeit the rest of the season. Starting to look like we already have regardless

13. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Tackle the catch baby!

14. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016

Yeah, but they sure tear up the ping pong table.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Players not buying into what the coaches are selling is a huge problem that's hard to fix. Typically that results in coaches being fired because the players have lost faith in them and it's not possible to get it back.

Another problem is the quote of them being a defence that doesn't make plays. Players want to make plays. They want to be involved in the play. Todays football players are more selfish than years part. DL and LB want to hit and rush the passer. They live for those two things . It's hard to find many of them like Keisel or Aaron Smith. I believe those days are done.

More than anything, I wonder why we fired Lebeau just to promote a guy that runs the exact same system . What was the point of that?

16. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Tomlin took away there ping pong table after the latest social media fiasco with AB.. That taught them a lesson

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Heinz is still making an argument about last year's team, using results this season to support his point. This isn't the same team and it is due to more than the loss of Shazier.

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Although Shazier was good C'mon...He is/was not the greatest player who walked the earth...Years to recover, Because of ONE player...No way...That would be, and is..The front office and coaches fault

The Texans lost J.J.Watt who arguably is
    better than Shazier AND had the top-rated defense that year

I agree with a lot you say on here...But on this you're way off

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, Shazier was not the greatest by any stretch... but he had the speed to put fear in opposing QBs when throwing over the middle. Bostic and Williams do not have that kind of speed. Maybe Matthew Thomas does? We may never know, because it looks like he's buried on the depth chart behind Matakevic and Fort.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree this D is lacking more than Shazier.
    I never understood the term 'next man up' anyway. They're not going to play being a man down, of course it's next man up.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heyward did say quite a few puzzling things that's for sure...actually he is starting to sound more and more like his coach...

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For a rookie UDFA, it is not surprising he is “behind” in the depth chart. “Buried” seems a little heavy.

23. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well that explains it then. The players are protesting, bring back the ping pong tables!

24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree that it's a huge problem. It sounds like the vets are on board though. If there are only rookies complaining, then I think the problem will be easier to deal with. However, if there are seasoned players and vets who are agnostic in regard to the coaches' approaches, then, "Houston, we have a problem."

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

He sure has the athleticism but he also made mental mistakes.. Because of his quickness he faired well..