1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

List your breakout player/s on defense and why

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Feb 16, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who do you feel will have a breakout season that was here last year and why? Who do you think will regress?

Tuitt, Hargrave, Heyward, Bud, Watt, Bince, Haden, Hilton, Burns, Davis Sutton?

Improves:
    Tuitt = imo was playing hurt, offseason will help.
    Watt = offseason and I think he has the smarts and ability to go above and beyond.
    Burns= I think he had a bad year but will be back to form.
    Davis = if they move him to FS which I hear rumors about I bet he plays better.
    Sutton = I like this kid and I feel he is gonna get even better.

Regresses:
    Hargrave = saw him getting pushed a bit this season, I feel teams have figured him out.
    Heyward = had a stellar season stats wise, I don't think he will match it.
    Bud = Jarvis 2.0 he was probably playing hurt but power or no power he goes wooooop around the tackles and falls.
    Bince = all bark no bite. Badly exposed with no shaz, 8 sacks are misleading. I feel he won't get as much.

Wash:
    Haden= I feel he won't play better or worse.
    Hilton= same as above

2. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Vonte Davis. We just have to sign him

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    What Defense?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Nobody plays D anymore ,it's all about outscoring the other team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Alright then. Here is my list. To start out, those who will improve.

Those who will rise:

Brian Allen: He should be competing for the backup spot next season. Question though is, at which position considering Tom Bradley is the new defensive backs coach? Still boundary corner or possibly safety? Time will tell.

Javon Hargrave: No reason he should not. He was performing very well all last season but was under-utilised. Here is hoping that both Tomlin and Butler can get him on the field more. Correction; they must figure out a way.

Mike Hilton: I do not believe last season was an anomaly for Hilton. I believe he will get better now that he not only has the experience but also on essentially a "prove it" deal as well.

T.J. Watt: Nevermind the offseason, Watt is a natural self improvement type of player and person. Resting on his laurels will not be an issue. My bigger interest heading into Training Camp is going to be whether or not he will take more of a leadership role like I personally believe both Tomlin and Butler want him to.

Keion Adams: No, he likely is not the starter but should give both Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo some competition. He was doing very well last season before his season ending injury and some reports have stated that he has been zeroed in on meetings throughout the whole season. More than likely though, an outside linebacker may need to be taken early yet again but Adams will be expected to compete for the top backup spot.

Cameron Sutton: More than likely a cornerback gets taken early. Even so, year two should be a breakout season for Cameron Sutton. Nevermind his football IQ he displayed against New England (I do not believe he was targeted more than five times overall that game), his penchant for his technique will gel extremely well with Tom Bradley. Add the proverbial "Offseason Boost" to him as well and Pittsburgh is looking very well in terms of cornerback depth; something many have stated to have been a long time coming.

Artie Burns: While many of us believe that Artie Burns sophomore season was a complete disaster, looking back in retrospect, heading into week five, Artie Burns was one of the four best corners in the league in terms of passes allowed against; Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey exceeding him. After than though, that is where the proverbial slump must have reared its ugly head. He would still have some nice games, against the likes of Cincinnati and Houston, but other games like the second Baltimore game and the Green Bay one are ones he will forget. Luckily for him though, the defensive backs in general have a new sheriff in town in Tom Bradley. Nevermind his technique but Artie's tackling will receive a much needed boost as well.

Sean Davis: If what Gerry Dulac stated about Sean Davis being moved to Free Safety is true should Mike Mitchell be shown the door, then part of his upgrade has already been completed. The other aspect of the upgrade will be done via Tom Bradley. So, in short, it is possible that, of all my candidate's, Sean Davis may have the biggest breakout for 2018 than any other Steelers defensive player. Only T.J. Watt can exceed him.

Bud Dupree: Health is going to dictate whether or not he can improve his sack count. I am not asking him to become a mutli digit sack guy like so many are due to the current schematics but I am expecting a more consistent form of pressures; his abilities against the run no less. For that matter, more than likely his medical record will play a big part in his fifth year option as well.

Those who will regress:

Cameron Heyward: Not from a performance based standpoint but from a statistic one. Within the same vein though, not all of this can be blamed soley on him. His drop off will be due to another. While he was schemed against and double teamed often, expect that much and more heading into 2018.

Stephon Tuitt: It really does pain me to ask this, but am I observing "Lamar Woodley" all over again? Personally I do not believe I am as I do believe this season for Stephon was quite challenging due to his injury but his inability to stay healthy with his current contract does raise the question. Do not forget that Aaron Smith's career capsized due to bicep injuries as well. Here is hoping Tuitt does not meet that same fate. Be that as it may, I am standing pat on this one until further notice.

Those who will remain much of the same:

Vince Williams: I believe what I saw last season was either the peak or near peak of what Vince is capable of. He does not have the athletic traits to improve yet does not seem to have any deficiencies to hinder him either.

Joe Haden: He will never return to his Pro Bowl form but, much like Vince, I do not expect much change from him. Health for him is key though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    All 11 better be the breakout players. Each has played a part in the demise of this defense.

Tuitt=injured=excuse

Dupree=injured=excuse

Dirty Red was really injured and only played on special teams. He was injured in the game that Shazier went down. He would have been the starter and should be competing for a starting position this season. This is Williams last season under contract. An ILB is high priority as well in the draft unless they can find a young replacement in FA.

So why were these 2 players, if said were injured starting?

So with the injury excuse now passed, Tuitt needs to be that breakout player. It all starts up front. I want to see Hargrave on the field more as well.

I believe that we have seen the best of Dupree. Chickillo should see more snaps. TJ Watt will only get better.

I also believe that the secondary with a new SS if Davis is moved to FS or vise versa will get better under Bradley. No need to draft a corner high. Safety is the priority. Haden can call the D back signals.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    rising stars:
    tuitt: tuitt was dominant before the injury and wasn't the same for the rest of the season... a full season of health and he'll be pushing heyward's numbers

watt & dupree: watt is a no brainer... a non stop motor with football I.Q. to match.... as far as dupree is concerned, a full healthy season from tuitt in front of him can only make his job easier... he also needs to develop some counter moves to complement his speed rush, but I expect to see a slight upgrade over jason worilds best season with us

brian allen and cam sutton: aside from us dipping into the draft pool, I think we're looking at the future of the cb position in pittsburgh..... sutton in particular will be a starter in yr. 3

artie burns: can only get better.... he lost some fundamentals this past season and needs to get his head back together, which I believe he will....

sean davis: I believe he is a much more natural fit at fs, and if he actually gets moved there, we may be looking at a stud

anthony chikillo: was on the verge of a breakout season as a back up prior to his injury.... he gets better every yr

Falling stars:
    willie gay: I'm not sure if he is on the roster next season....... sutton and hilton really cut into his field time and the writing is on the wall

Joe haden: his best yrs. are behind him.... Yes, i'm glad he's here, and he will start, but he's no different than a veteran qb warming a seat for the young gun behind him

more of the same:
    tyler matakevich: I like dirty red, but as a player, I think he's pretty much reached his plateau

vince williams: everyone knew what we were getting with vince.... he will remain consistent in his numbers

javon hargrave: he's not utilized enough to really show any real improvement.... he will be steady, but unspectacular

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cam Sutton athletic enough to start.