1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Players You DON'T Want

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by MorrisFoster, Apr 20, 2016.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I don't want Jayron Kearse after he single handedly gave up at least 150 yards with poor tackling snd angles in the Nat'l Championship.

Also don't want Mackenzie Alexander also from Clemson. He faced a lot of bad QBs who couldn't punish him for being beaten fairly regularly.

Also don't want any QB.

Also don't want Leonard Floyd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Mckensie Alexander..I don't want any part of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    At least we agree on that haha.

I saw plays where Alexander would be behind his man 3 yards on an out route after the cut and the QB would inexplicably miss. That won't happen in the NFL.

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You can't be in college and get no picks and then tell me your a great cornerback. Most QB's in college don't care who you say you are. It's not the NFL. So the excuse of ," they didn't go at him" doesn't fly with me. They went at him enough; he just didn't make plays.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Well if that is the case, then he has to be given credit for not giving up any TDs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Corners who predominately play Press Man rarely get a lot of interceptions anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I'm not big on Alexander for us. However, some of what I read out here about him is rather odd. I watched 5 or 6 of his games 2-3 times each back in February, so I got very familiar with him. In those games he gave up no big plays - the biggest was about 16-17 yards when he was playing off man. In those games he also had 2 opportunities to make interceptions, and they both would have been tough catches. If you want to see a corner take a receiver out of a game, watch him on Will Fuller from Notre Dame last year. Back when I watched Alexander's tape, I had to watch a tape of a different Clemson player vs Notre Dame (maybe Lawson), but all that means is that the other player was highlighted at the beginning of each play instead of Alexander. It's easy enough to find Alexander.

Anyway, that was the 5th game of the season, and Fuller went in with 6 TDs in the first 4 games. Alexander took him most of the day and he had 2 catches for around 30 yards and zero TDs. Alexander shut him down (with some help from a dominant front 7). There were several times in that game (and other Alexander games) when the QB would look that direction and have to go elsewhere or run because Fuller wasn't getting free. Whenever you could see Fuller and Alexander on screen, the coverage was usually tight.

I'm not big on Alexander at pick #25 for a few reasons. First, I think he's a press man corner with press man mentality (or tighter off man coverage). He played a lot of bail coverage in college, and didn't look as good when the coverage was designed to keep the play in front of him. When he played tight he looked better. Second, he benefited from a great pass rush, and was rarely challenged to stay on his man for very long. I'm not saying he can't do, just that there's not much film of him having to cover any routes that take time to develop. Third, his 2015 North Carolina tape stinks. He bailed a lot, and closed way too slowly when the ball was thrown in front of him.

While I don't like him at #25, he is a good football player, and would be great value if he drops to our 2nd round pick. There's a lot of good clay there to mold.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And the 33% completion rate when they throw in his area. But giving credit where credit is due is not a strong point for the board.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to share; always enjoy your insight.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What that sucks because Alexander is the player I have been hoping would fall to us for months lol

12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Although I wouldn't be averse to selecting Alexander in round 1, here is what Tony Pauline has to say:

[​IMG]Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
    I'm not hearing good things about Mackensie Alexander outside the lines.

Despite his on-the-field talent, numerous sources have told me the junior cornerback is a very difficult person to deal with off the field. He was difficult at Clemson, and some of his coaches are giving Alexander less than rave reviews to NFL teams - and I'm being kind. This is something originally brought to my attention during Clemson's pro day on March 10, and something I took with a grain of salt. But since last Friday, I've spoken with multiple sources, and it seems Alexander's off-the-field personality has been spoken about at length in war rooms around the league. In my opinion, the junior cornerback has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the draft, but if he starts to drop deep into Round 1, or even out of the first frame altogether, it'll be due to his off-the-field persona.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#YWIp3m6YCvJMt4cL.99

13. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014

Fuller won that matchup hands down. The Notre Dame QB makes Tebow look like Marino.

Fuller played cover 3 and didn't even look back when Fuller made his cut more than on e leaving him wide open for his QB to throw it 4 yards over his head.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While I am not comparing the bunch, Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters were considered uncoachable as well.

CB is a position which requires a bit of swagger. Those guys need confidence.

Who was our best CB over the past 10 years? Ike Taylor. We miss the swagger from our secondary. He also had a problem with interceptions.

I do think Alexander is a 1st round player. I don't have him as high as the other CBs but I still think he is a quality player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Swaggin!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're overstating things. Clemson faced the best passing teams. Bad passes happen in the pros, too.

upload_2016-4-20_16-25-8.png

It's not a theory, Dean :lolol:

It's a fact, teams avoided him. Look it up. Also, as others pointed out, press corners don't get a lot of Int. Let me ask you, what would you rather have, interceptions or a guy that shuts his man down? Int's are nice, taking the other teams top receiver out of the game is even nicer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Even thou I don't agree with you Elvis, I do appreciate all your efforts as a Steeler Brethren.

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I know where your going and I see your point. But him not getting interceptions (I've had enough of that from our secondary) not having the ideal measurables, being a difficult player too,...I don't want to take him in the first round. There's enough red flags on him in my book to pass on him in the first round. And in the second round, to be truthful, I like Artie Burns more then Alexander.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Burns better than Alexander too, but I think he goes pretty early in the 2nd. I really don't think either guy will be there for our 2nd round pick.

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Artie Burns is super appealing to me. Almost as much as Wille Jackson.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I only want a DL, CB or S in the first. I could live with a pass rusher if it was the right player.

22. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. I really like him as well and he has a tragic story to provide extra motivation to not take his place in the NFL for granted. I think he'll do what it takes to succeed in order to provide for his family. We'll probably have to nab him with #25 unless we swing a trade.

23. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    In your eyes, is he worth the # 25 pick?

24. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Alexander's technique is garbage. He can't even backpedal properly and his coaches are telling everyone who will listen that he is a locker room cancer.

I really don't care that Clemson faced very slightly better passing offenses than other ACC teams. I don't see the relevance.

He should not be drafted before the 3rd round. Too much risk.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011