1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lingering concussion effects

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have read several articles recently that document changes in AB's behavior since the concussion by Burfict two years ago. Rudolph's play was not stellar, but really deteriorated after his concussion. Not sure if that is cognitive issues or he is playing scared. And Juju now after his concussion posts a stupid video on Instagram of him speeding over 100 mph. I think the league needs to re-examine their concussion recovery protocol, and the teams need to do more to help monitor these folks' behavior after a concussion.

Another thought related to this. When there is a helmet to helmet hit and one player leaves the game to enter concussion screening, why doesn't the player who led with his helmet also have to be checked? In Juju's case, at least two defenders would have had to be checked. If every helmet to helmet hit resulted in each player involved being removed for at least one play for evaluation, maybe they would learn to lead with their shoulder.

I also think sometimes the hockey method of playing shorthanded and a penalty box should be implemented in the NFL. For a personal foul, the player has to sit out for 2 minutes and the team play shorthanded. That'd be fun to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Some will say it was implemented every time Artie Burns was in. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This explains everything

777BA390-CC49-4F41-8842-747E2301BC64.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Aikman and Egghead, the Monotones. I use the mute button for them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well, figuring out how exactly do concussions have long term effects is still very much an unknown although there could be patterns. That said, the hit administered by Burfict on A.B. could have had a much bigger role than previously thought. Keep in mind though A.B. reportedly yelled at Dick LeBeau and almost got into it with Troy.

Regarding Mason Rudolph, not sure exactly. I do not think Earl's hit was as vicious as Burfict's though and Mason was only gone a week. I did not see much of a disparity within his play before or after the Earl hit until the Browns game in which he looked more lost than anything. Letting him sit will be a good thing overall as I believe the game itself is a bit more than Rudolph thought.

Lastly, Myles Garrett has had concussion issues dating back to High School. That issue then transferred at Texas A&M. In his rookie season, another one. Could Myles morbid behavior be a result of repeated head trauma?! Given how well Garrett's character was received at Texas A&M, little reason to assume it did not.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    My brother is a lifelong Cowboys fan and he doesn't like Aikman because he's too critical of the Cowboys. It's hilarious... my brother and sister-in-law think Romo was the best Cowboys QB of all time. They get mad when I say Staubach was the best, then Aikman... then Hogeboom, then Danny White... then Romo.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They do the sin bin thing in rugby union these days as well.

8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi bigbenhotness.

Now, that is funny. Great way to start my day. It reminds me of standing in line at the supermarket and you look at the tabloid papers that always seem to get the most "dumb-looking" photos to put on the front of their papers. Comical!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Definitely roger

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. Staubauch in his prime on the 90's team would have been insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My fiance sustained a concussion a few years ago. She sometimes still feels effects. I can't imagine what happens to the brains of the athletes that suffer 5-6 career concussions, not to mention the ones that are never diagnosed.

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Good post! I can dig the idea here, not opposed at all. In regards to Rudolph, I'm in the camp that he moved around the pocket quite a bit better prior to his out of body experience. He's been more hesitant and statuesque without a doubt since coming back.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Seau's incidents were pretty well documented around here. He, and his family, went through things for years before the end. Hope your fiancé is doing all right!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd love to see data on all players diagnosed with a concussion and their pre and post concussion performance stats. Might be revealing, and I am sure someone has done this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct with Staubach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Except that IS NOT fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Thanks. Yes, she is fine. She manages quie well and is sharp, sometimes too sharp. :lolol:

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelerJJ

Good to hear! I always like to hear that people come through on the "good side" of medical adversity. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid