1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Linebacking Corps

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    has to be the worst group in the NFL. Unless Bud proves he is not a bust this year which I highly doubt, we have 1 legit starter in Watt. Every other player is a backup or practice squad caliber player. Teams are going to pound the rock on us. We better drop 40 a game once again....

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    40 a game? When did we ever do that? We can't drop 30 a game.

This group will be better than many think.

The LBers are not the only guys on the team that can stop the run either. :cool:

3. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    I think our secondary on paper has serious potential but that linebacking Corp wow. I mean I honestly don’t think I have ever seen a less talented group. Bama probably has better linebackers right now then we do.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Nonsense.:cool:

5. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    You think Big Red Williams and Bostic along with Bust Dupree are legitimate NFL starters? You must be in a legalized state

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Do you mean less talented compared to previous Steelers corps, or league wide?

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :lolol::roflmao::lolol:

8. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    I mean the Steelers overall linebacking Corp has to be the worst in the NFL. We literally have 1 player Watt that is starter material. VW would be a decent backup. The rest are literally practice squad fodder. As always jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Let me put in a little work together... Might surprise us.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes I think dirty red will play well since the shoulder was repaired early after the season ended. He made over 100 tackles a season for 4 years straight in college without much in front of him. That is pretty special. I'm sure he hasn't forgot how to tackle. That is a lot of being around the ball. Far from a practice squad player. Bostic had 97 tackles last year in 14 games. Vince is a decent backup. Thomas has a lot of upside. Adams, huguenin, chickillo, watt, adeniyi, Dupree, that is a pretty good pool to work with. My concern is the coaching. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well somebody needs to step up this year. I still think grandpa Timmons is better than all of them except for Watts.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ah right.

I dunno though. Miami? The Giants? Colts? There are weaker corps around.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    I guess time will tell but if we finish above a bottom 5 run D I will be shocked. We have 0 speed on that middle linebacking group.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with those who say Watt is our only legit LB. It's ironic the Steelers finally get their secondary half-way decent and the D-line could improve since Heyward and Tuitt are 100%... but the LBs are the weak link?!?!?! Who would've ever thunk the LBs would be the weak link in a Steelers defense? :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I also am ticked about the quality of our linebackers. As someone pointed out our coaching of our lbs is not what it use to be & our draft evaluations are slipping also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Thomas and fort run pretty well.:cool:

17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    If Dupree can learn to be discipline enough to contain the outside when pass-rushing, we should be OK. He loops so wide that if they run to that side, our ILBs (minus Shazier) is not fast enough sideline to sideline. I'm optimistic about our LB core. Don't sleep on Adeniyi & Thomas. Adeniyi look like he can be a Harrison clone....

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So can Bostic. He's not great, but he is at least a viable starter. He's a big drop-off from Shazier, but he is certainly an improvement over Spence.

I've written it on other threads, but the improvement on the run defense should come from the line and the safety spots. Tuitt played with one arm last year. Hargrave's play dropped off from his rookie year, supposedly due to his back. Both can be better. Burnett should be a huge upgrade over Mitchell, whose lack of speed and terrible pursuit angles turned many solid runs into huge plays last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think they lose anything when alualu comes in either. He was a good pickup for us. Dunbar was brought in to help this group get back to run defense and help them have a more well rounded game from this group.

We all knew you don't replace a shazier but red and bostic have some good instincts for the position when we use them. The safety additions are the straw that will stir the drink though. I just think we have to have players running to the ball and make the hits with multiple players. That makes stops and that creates turnovers. We will see much improvement this year. Confusion to cause contusions.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  20. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    It’s such a damn shame what happened to Shaz. I never truly appreciated how good he was partially because early on he was oft injured and partially because unfortunately he had a short career. Reflecting back on it dude was one hell of a player and a devastating loss to the rebuilding of our D. Here’s hoping he continues to at least lead a normal life and run around with his kids one day.

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Except Bostic...He had a very good year, on a bad Colts team