1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Linebackers, Inside and Out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The television broadcasters we have had to listen to the last couple of weeks have driven many of us nuts with their lack of knowledge regarding the Steelers. These aren't the traditional Steelers. They don't have a good run defense. The main reason for this is their problems at linebacker.

We have many threads about the problems at inside linebacker, specifically Bush's awful play. I thought he was actually a little better yesterday, but I still think he is going to be a major weak spot that opposing offenses attack with their running game.

Of course, it doesn't help that they haven't had their starters on the outside most of the preseason. I'm not saying they should have played more. I'm just concerned about Highsmith. He missed the preseason with a rib injury. Supposedly, he is close to ready and he said he expects to play in the opener, but I'll feel a lot better once he is back on the field. I've been surprised by how little mention there has been of his absence. Of course, the broadcasters who aren't local didn't seem to notice. Genard Avery seemed to get much of the time there against the Jaguars and did it poorly enough to be cut. Hamilcar Rashed got the start against Detroit and played most of the game. I didn't notice him doing anything great. Maybe others have a different opinion.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-notes-alex-highsmith-inching-closer-to-readiness/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    After OL, LB is the position that's most troubling. I really hope someone decent shakes loose during cuts and/or we are able to make a trade. I'd definitely consider a Claypool-for-good-LB/OL trade.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure it will help some if Highsmith and Watt are out there and playing at 100 percent, but that spot next to Jack looks like it is going to be a big concern all season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We can cover up the ILB spot with exceptional interior D line play.

I'm hoping the starting 3 gel quickly and there are no injuries.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Jack has looked ok / good, so at least they have one dependable starter in the middle. I don’t think they can get anybody in by trade, there aren’t that many very good do-it-all linebackers in the league to begin with and any team that has one won’t give them up easily. Camp cuts are all going to be guys with big flaws.

I think the run defence has to improve once all the starters are back along the defensive line, and they can always get Bush off the field in sub packages. They’ll just have to figure it out because getting meaningful outside help at this stage is not realistic. Staying relatively healthy across the rest of the defence is going to be hugely important.

Agree that the depth behind Watt and Highsmith is also a huge concern. The most you could hope for if any of the backup guys they have get on the field is that they won’t kill you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Buddy Johnson has been a disappointment, you would've liked to see him step up in his second year, he has shown nothing in training camp or preseason games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i thought tuszka had a pretty good preseason. so did spillane on the inside. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I thought the same. Tuszka's come along well since last year.

9. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Quincy Roche is apparently going to be released by the Giants. Maybe he gets brought back.

• Like Like x 1