1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Linebacker a Great Need

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 15, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While it's widely acknowledged and maybe even somewhat accepted I just can't sit here and use scheme as the excuse for what I see as underperforming for Dupree. It's not so much that he may get fewer chances ,it's what he does with his chances. His pass rush arsenal is non existent and downright feeble. I'm sure if we had Von Miller we wouldn't be asking him to drop into coverage so much. My biggest gripe with Dupree has always been his lack of physicality and his willingness to put his face in the fan. This is a make or break year for him personally I have my doubts and I hope I'm wrong and pleasantly surprised.....

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think ILB is a greater need than OLB, even with Dupree not being able to get to the QB on a consistent basis. His percentage of pressures on the QB were extremely low according to an article I read. I still think ILB could be upgraded. I like the guys we have but that doesn't mean they can't be improved upon. I'm curious to see how Bostic does, but I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket.

The safeties (Edmunds, Burnett) will mask some deficiencies I hope, but time will tell.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think a lot depends on what they can do with Thomas. What his ceiling may be. The athletic ability is there but can we bring it up to the level we desire? Sit back and wait is all we can do. Vince is in a contract year.:cool:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Matakevich, fort, Thomas, bostic, Vince all having good camp so far.

The forgotten guy fort is making a lot of plays and has two forced fumbles.

The newbie Thomas is all over the place in the run game and doing well in coverage.

Bostic is a communicator and run stopper so far.

They are using many combos of these guys.

Huguenin is getting a lot of reps and doing well, so is OA.

Adams sat out Sunday but has been showing speed and ability to beat blocks in the one on ones.

Matakevich is around the ball as well as Vince being Vince.

Overall sounds good. More to come.:cool:

5. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He does well against the run???? What games have you been watching? I don't mean to be sarcastic but a lot of the discussion about Bud isn't just about the lack of sacks but his poor ability in setting the edge or pursuit in run situations. The OLBs drop into coverage more because the secondary has been really bad, that trend began in the last 2 seasons under LeBeau and has continued.

When Bud finally gets to rush the passer he gets pushed past the QB almost all the time because he doesn't have another move to get inside. When there is a rush attempt he gets caught flat footed that often results in him getting turned around and missing the play or he gets pushed past the point of contact. Chickillo hasn't been great in that area either and I honestly think the only difference is Bud has more athleticism but he lacks the ability and that I'm afraid isn't going to get any better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Look across the league and find (1) offensive coordinator in 2018 that has a concern about Steeler Defense with brain-locked Keith Butler at the wheel. Try all 31 and get back to me. Tomlin should have canned him and Steeler Nation knows it as well. We will not be intimidators as long as Tomlin retains impersonators. Just the facts.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I was watching the same games as you were. Bud was actually horrible against the run last year. I hope he does better this year, but I don't see it. You don't change after 4 years and make all the bad go away. We heard the same tune going into the 5th year with Jones and look what happen to him. Hope I'm wrong but I dont think so.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    You're assuming Tomlin has the authority to make fire and hire decisions...he does not.

9. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Please send explain to me how convict Mike Vick got hired, you know Tomlin's home-pal from Newport News, Va. No assuming on how that happened. Numerous slippery slopes around Tomlin and you can ask Dick LeBeau about that.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Enter Tom Bradley. Big year for the Okie Butler. The latest was how he explained the Dupree move to the other side. Mind numbing. I was all for letting LeBeau go, it was over. Butler was in the waiting room and has had his shot. Best take it up a notch or a move will have to be made and Bradley could move right in.