1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lev Bell is a hero

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Nov 1, 2019.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Edit: the grass is NEVER greener on the green team

the Jets have been cursed since the butt fumble (well longer than that but they had a few years of playoffs before then)

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Last year, a healthy JC would have had better numbers than Bell did in his last full season. There most certainly IS a way JC puts up same, or better, numbers than Bell. Why? Because Bell is overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

They had a few years during the N.Y. Sack exchange when my buddy played for them.:cool:

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey GloryDays. Good Day to You.

Man, you are really giving it to me on Bell. That is cool. :cool: My point was (even though I know you know what I am driving at) is that teams had to account for Bell's receiving abilities and his patient running style which made him elite to a high degree. One season, I believe he had 83 receptions I think. That is a lot even for a regular receiver. I know they were of the Dink and Dunk variety but the YAC were extremely beneficial plus he was Ben's Number #1 outlet on so many occasions that proved so beneficial.

As far as the O-Line, I do disagree with you. Our O-line was built and accustom to Bell's unique running style and Munchak did turn that whole group around to work in cohesion with Bell's style of running. The Jets on the other hand are not what I would even consider average as the whole team basically is not good from top to bottom. Take care my friend. STEELWINDS

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Lol come on. You can argue that Bell isn’t worth the money he wanted, but it’s impossible to argue that James Conner is in the same realm of caliber of player. Bell was a game changer. Conner is just a guy. Capable NFL running back and nothing more. There’s a lot of reasons why Bell hasn’t been super successful in NY, but even an overrated Bell is still LIGHTYEARS ahead of a hyped up Conner.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yeah, you're probably right. I mean, Bell's prime years with the Steelers were with arguably the best OL in football AND AB in his prime. With the Steelers, he averaged 4.3 yards a carry and 6 touchdowns a season. That hyped up Conner has only averaged 4.4 yards a carry and 5.3 touchdowns a season. What a bum. Bell is LIGHTYEARS ahead.

And in another comparison that obviously goes in Bell's favor, this season, Bell rushed for 66 yards against the Dolphins. Conner? 145. And that game changer hasn't rushed for more than 70 yards a game this season. See what happens to a game changing, out of this world back when he isn't behind a solid OL?

Getting back to reality, Bell is overrated. But you keep your head shoved way up his butt, it's a good look for you, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Hey STEELWINDS, it's nothing personal. I'm just pretty strongly opinionated about this. And I humbly disagree with you about our OL. That line was built and forged long before Bell showed up. They adjusted to him because they had to, not because they were built to. The offense was never built around him. His skillset was utilized within it. Now, his pass-catching ability allowed Ben to check down in a way that he never had before. It ushered in the less-sacked-Ben era, something they were trying to accomplish for a while to prolong Ben's career. So yes, he caught a lot of balls out of the backfield and the vertical passing game benefitted because the defense had to account for him on their side of the line. But with all that said, I still don't believe he is that special.

Again, my point of contingency is that if he was a game changer and elite as you say, then he would have made the Jets better. Barry Sanders did that for the Lions for years. He was a game changer. He was elite. Bell is no Barry Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    You are all good Glory.

I can tell you have strong emotions regarding Bell. Given that, I for one really do miss his style of play. He really did provide Ben with a security blanket that I have yet to see with other QB-RB combos over my time. Yes, I agree Ben was/is definitely the beneficiary of our improved O-Line. Safe bet to say that it has extended his career given the pounding that he was taking over time.

Now, Barry. Wow! He definitely was special. He would juke you right out of your shoes. Too bad he hung it up "early". Then on the other hand, maybe it was a good thing for him. Maybe it saved his body, and mind, to some measure of degree. Take care my friend. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A year puffing the magic dragon did not help him either. Most rbs are never heard about again after an extended time off that wasn't injury related.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Now THAT is something we both can agree on!

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic!

Yeah, he just could not stay away from the cheeba, cheeba. Just like Martavis. I played competitive sports (not at the professional level) and boy I tell you given the option of smoking weed to sacrifice millions of dollars is a no brainer. Maybe that was the problem for both, no brains. STEELWINDS

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That just doesn’t sound right.

13. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From hence forth I automatically agree with anything The Glory Days says about Bell. Getting tired if hitting the green check mark.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol: makes me crack up every time I hear it.

Can you imagine the rest of your life when people look at you that is what you are remembered for.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know between Butt Fumble and the weird looking head band he used to wear I'm leaning more towards butt fumble being the better of the two.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I hope Bell is enjoying his money, because he isn't seeing any success with the Jets.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He isn’t seeing as much money as he would have made if he accepted the Steelers offer either. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Bell was a very good back when he was here. Anyone who has forgotten that should go back and watch some of his games. I saw a video a couple of months ago that showed some of the missed tackles that he forced in the playoff loss to the Jags with his jump cuts. Very nice.

I can’t stand the guy because of the BS he pulled here, and I think he has returned to the league as a diminished talent after the layoff, but he was a damn good 3 down RB in his prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel_Elvis.

Those "jump cuts" were sweet. However, probably more out of anger than anything else, there were some around here that felt that Connor would seamlessly replace Bell (and for that matter JuJu for Brown). I just shook my head with these seemingly daily comments. Yes, they had to go. Given that, their talents are sorely missed. STEELWINDS

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wish Bell would've jump cut and picked up that 4th and 1 against the Jags in that playoff loss :hehehe:.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt the Jets will keep him for the duration of that contract.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That play call may have been the last straw for the team’s patience with Haley. 4th and 1 vs. a fast defense.... let’s run wide!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel_Elvis.

Yes, in those situations. I often find myself standing up in front of the TV and visualizing the old "Smashmouth" concept of jamming it down the opponent's throat. I would scream and hope that by me acting it out, it would work. Just plain helmet vs. helmet. The old school Steeler way in those instances. Haley, and Arians for that matter, would always try to get too cute and complex for their own good. STEELWINDS

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    HAHAHAHA loving the snark. Got my head shoved up Bell's butt? HA

Yeah Bell had AB, but so did JC in his only season of production. So what?

Those are bad stats to look at to determine who is better. Yards per attempt? Look at the two numbers 4.1 and 4.2.... One of them belongs to Rashard Mendenhall and the other belongs to a guy who wears a gold jacket and has a copper bust in the HoF. Your TD's per season was off for both backs as you failed to include receiving TD's (bringing Conner to 6.3 and Bell to 8.4), but TD's can be skewed by usage and quality of team. Then in a surprising turn of events you cherry picked the most ridiculous stat ever. You took a game where Bell (as a member of the worst team in football) played poorly against a common opponent. The Miami game was the only game this season where James Conner rushed for more than 55 yards... for the whole seasonThese stats mean absolutely nothing

As Steelers starters

L. Bell - 129 yd/g , 4.3 y/a , 42 tot TD , 230 touches per fumble lost
    Conner - 104 yd/g , 4.4 y/a , 19 tot TD, 85 touches per fumble lost (in comparison known fumbler Mendenhall avg. 104 touches per fum lost)

Its really hard to call Bell overrated because of 9 games played on the worst team in football after taking a year of football off (granted the year off and playing for the Jets were both decisions that he made himself, but I feel like the poor kid got wrecked by bad advise from an agent). Bell played on great offensive teams while with the Steelers, but he carried the team on plenty of occasions. I remember a multitude of games where he essentially carried us (numerous Baltimore games, a snowy Bills game, Titans on Thurs. night, KC playoff game... the list goes on) and it isn't debatable. I'm as upset as everyone else that he left the way he did. It was short sighted and ultimately it cost him money and legacy in a place where he could've had both. I want JC to succeed as much as anyone else too as a true Steeler fan. But you just can't throw around a few garbage stats and a cherry picked common opponent then tell me that I have my head up Bell's you know what. The only person that has their head planted in a warm dark place is the person that can truly believe that James Conner is in the same galaxy as LeVeon Bell as a running back.

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Lol, struck a nerve, apparently. Look, you're in love with Bell. We get it. You probably have all his albums. Good for you. A poster of him over your bed? Yikes, but to each his own.

Anyway, JC is just as good, if not better. You won't convince me otherwise.