1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk Janoris Jenkins

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm curious what your guys' opinion is of taking Janoris Jenkins at 24. Let's say that Cordy Glenn, Donta Hightower, and all the top prospects are off the board. For the sake of argument we'll say that Mike Adams is still there (who I hate). I think Kirkpatrick will go to the Bengals, and I've heard the Lions aren't touching Jenkins, and might take Gilmore in front of us.

He's a top 15 talent, and maybe the best cover corner in the draft. He has good ball skills to knock down and intercept passes, he has elite quickness and is very fluid in his back pedal. He goes after the ball very aggressively. He's actually a solid tackler and helper in run support which is always important to our coaching staff. The only real hole I see in his game is he's not great at jamming at the LOS, and he IS small but plays big. In his last seven games against Alshon Jeffery, A.J. Green and Julio Jones, Janoris Jenkins (all big physical receivers) never allowed a 100-yard game...

That's VERY impressive. I think AJ green is a top 8 WR already in the NFL.

The knock is he could be Pacman Jones 2.0... He was never arrested after being kicked out of Florida, but he did get suspended a game for throwing a punch in a game.

2. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would gladly take him. Fills a need and would be BPA. I would take him over Hightower, but not Glenn.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the 23 teams in front of us can't take all the good players. someone will be there for us not named jenkins. :cool:

4. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    That's easy to just throw out there... but as of now Hightower is the only guy I expect to be there at 24 that's not a reach and wouldn't be drafting a position we're already strong at... I think Jonanthan Martin, Cordy Glenn, Dontari Poe, Stephen Gilmore, Mark Barron will all be gone by our pick. I think Hightower could go as high as 12 to the Seahawks, so I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone.

Mike Adams will probably be there but he scares me a lot. I'd take Jenkins over him. I wish we hadn't picked a DE last year because Fletcher Cox, Devon Still, Michael Brockers, and Jerel Worthy are all really awesome 3-4 De candidates.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    a lot depends on what thew f.o. thinks about our young cb (brown allen lewis ) if somebody of them is a starter material or even can translate as a fs , i usually like to take a high prospect cb , anyway seems they like tandy so a cb is in the plan

6. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Jenkins would be the next Holmes. May produce but off field issues will cause him to be shipped out after a few years.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's if we're lucky. Another scenario is him not even producing on the field. What I look for in first rounders is someone who can produce for a long time, stay out of trouble for a long time, sign multiple contracts with the team, and be a good starter for 10 years... and all that seems far-fetched with this guy.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we could use a corner to groom. ike is getting up there. we won't go into the season with just 4. walter mcfadden could get some looks, but we usually keep 6. we lost 2. :cool:

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It seemed far fetch a year ago, but if you look at what he has voluntarily done to try to change his image, you'll see that this kid has matured already. He has more maturing to do and he needs a mentor to work with him, but this kid is scary good. A lot of exerts think he's better than Claiborne. I'd love it if the Steelers took him.

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Walterfootball added a scouting report for Jenkins today. Here's his player comparison...

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... enkins.php

Player Comparison: Darrelle Revis. I don't think that Jenkins will be as good a pro player as Revis. It is hard to argue that Revis isn't the top cornerback in the NFL, and if he continues on his current track, he could be a Hall of Fame candidate. It isn't fair to expect that type of career from Jenkins, but of all the players in the NFL, Jenkins' style of play reminds me of Revis. He is a lockdown man corner who has rare man-corner skills that are like Revis'.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I've read that even if Revis was there for us to draft, we weren't going to draft him. As much as they've spent 2nd-4th round picks on CB's, I don't think they draft one in the 1st.

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The kid admits to still smoking weed. We don't need him

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    When did he say this? He has taken drug tests and passed them.

On another note, you Americans take weed far too seriously. Up here in Canada it's as close to being legal as possible without actually being legal. It's basically ignored as long as you're not selling it.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol: You're talking about a league that suspended our tight end for FOUR GAMES for taking ADD medication without filling out the proper paperwork.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    True. The CFL truly is a joke and I can't stand to watch it, but one thing I liked about the CFL is they welcomed Ricky Williams with open arms when the NFL suspended him because he smokes pot. I just don't understand the obsession with pot. For those who have smoked it, one thing is for sure, it wouldn't improve your performance in a sport.

I still like Jenkins and want this kid on our team, even though I know we won't get him. This kid could very well be the next Revis.

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    he is actually telling people in his interviews that he never stopped smoking after leaving fl. adam scheftrer was on the other day saying that a handful of teams are shocked by this and are not even putting him on their board. I am not taking the fact that he smokes to seriously. I am saying the kid is not to bright for admitting this to future employers. I mean some things you just dont say.

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Well in that case he's still an idiot. I thought he voluntarily took drug tests and passed them. That's what I heard on Sirius NFL.

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Is there audio or an article or something about him admitting to still smoke pot? He passed his combine drug test and he has passed other drug tests too, which he voluntarily took.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't know about him being quoted as saying he "still" does drugs, but he's reportedly admitted to using at Alabama.

ProfootballTalk
    NFL.com

From the April 12th NFL article:

20. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like any player with "personal" red flags in the 1st but that's me. Hack and I went round and round about Jimmy Smith last year. It appears the FO isn't really interested in a high selection at that position. The highest rated CB they brought in was Tandy. The other CB's that came in were late rounders and probable UDFA's.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if gilbert is there at 24 i'd have to think long and hard about it. :cool:

22. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you mistyped mac but if you meant Stephon Gilmore I'm with you. If Gilmore is available he could be the pick. I doubt he will be though. I've seen him mocked as high as #7 to Jax.

23. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I'd be very happy to draft a guy who make a play that wins the Super Bowl for us, even if we trade him a year later. Holmes was a great pick for us.

Is Jenkins predicted as a first-round pick? I was under the impression that his stock slipped a bunch because of his off-the-field issues.

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Many people still mock him in the 1st round, although he has fallen. I think the Lions will take him.