1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Let's Talk Football"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jan 16, 2017.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Everyone should know by now that Belichek will have a defense designed to stop Bell. (I still haven't figured out how a team can only score 18 points with a 170 yard rusher. Well I kind of have an idea, when the 170 yard rusher, averaging 6 yards a carry, isn't given the ball on first and goal at the 5 and there is a pick in the end zone). While the Steelers have become Bell's team, for them to win, it is going to come down to other areas of the game in my opinion.

1. Roethlisberger is going to have to play as well or better than Brady.

2. The defense is going to have to find a way to get pressure on Brady.

3. The Steelers will need to play smarter, not necessarily harder. Can the coaches come up with a plan that the players can execute to get the end result of beating the Patriots?

Sure some posters will say these points are stating the obvious, but the point is can these be executed by the Steelers? In 2001 and 2004, the Patriots were able to come into Pittsburgh and frustrate Stewart and Roethlisberger by forcing each to throw 3 picks mostly by disguising coverages. Everyone can see that Roethlisberger is a little off. But I believe he is going to ready and will bring his A game.

While I am more confident in Roethlisberger bringing his A game, I am nervous about the defense. While I have been excited about Dupree's play and Harrison's warrior-like efforts, I do not like seeing Timmons going deep into pass coverage. Fortunately there was enough pressure on Smith last night, that he could not see those open receivers, but Brady will not miss those opportunities. I also think Brady will be trying to exploit Burns and Davis and their inexperience. I do like that both of them are players though. Its time for them to become veterans.

It would be awesome to see the Steelers get pressure on Brady like they did when the Steelers ended the Patriots 21 game winning streak in 2004. LeBeau had a great scheme that day and the players executed it. If Tomlin, Haley, and Butler can rise to the occasion and the players execute, the Steelers can win in Foxboro!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We will win

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Smith couldn't see the open receivers because he was running for his life. A good pass rush does that.

Dupree (and using Harrison more) was the key to turning this defense around. This is a much better defense than the one that looked like the Keystone Kops the last time Brady played them. I'm taking nothing away from Brady saying that. Hell, the guy seemed like he was taking mercy on us by the end. He and the Pats could easily have laid 60 points on us if they wished that game.

The trick this time around will be getting that pressure on Brady and knocking him down repeatedly. We have a decent rush from both edges now. But Brady seems more uncomfortable by pressure coming from the middle. How do we generate THAT and still keep the underneath stuff covered (our weak spot even in normal circumstances)? Solve that, and we can shut him down... ok, that's unrealistic. We can tone him down.

Either way, we need our OFFENSE to play the game of their lives on Sunday. No stupid mistakes. No getting cute. TDs, TDs, TDs. We're probably going to have to score 40 or more to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I dont think they can stop bell. Its not like its Osweiler back there they cant just load the box and get torched by Ben. I think they will double and slow AB. Rogers and hopefully Green can expose them.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Obviously

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If it was me and I know the team won't do it I'd copy Houston game plan a little and movery guys around and bring pressure up the gut a lot. Maybe put Jarvis in to just bullish the center and flush Brady towards Deebo and Dupree.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In the same way that the rotation on defense earlier this year actually hurt the defense. I think we need to settle on a #2 receiver. Hamilton, Ayers, or DHB.

Patriots will come up with a plan to stop Lev Bell and AB, but they can't stop both of them at the same time. But when they do, we need to hang our hat on something else. Jesse James, Eli Rodgers, and whoever the #2 is need to step up.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who are you with this burst of opimism?

What did you do with bigbenhotness?

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    My premonition of cowboys winning it all ended yesterday, so yes we are going to go all the way now. That is, if the refs don't stop us

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I disagree about 40 or more. I would say 30 points should win it. With gronk, yes 40 or more

11. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It seemed like Ben was In shotgun an awful lot vs KC, we would also run quite a bit out of the formation. Not sure what that was about? Is Ben too hurt to drop back? Did they fear the pass rush that much?

I would have liked to have seen mostly run plays under center. Ben is the best play action QB I have ever seen. We need to free up our receivers to take the pressure off of them.

And where the heck is Sammie Coates? His hand has to be fine by now?

12. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm guessing he hasn't earned his spot back yet - he was on KO return duty yesterday (and actually fielded one).

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If New England had Jamie Collins I would be more worried about this match-up.

Now that they do not, I really am not all that concerned anymore. Donta Hightower is still the biggest issue... but even then Le'Veon Bell racked up 81 yards.

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Usually I am nervous about the Steelers and maybe I'll be that way as the Patriots game gets closer, but I am confident the Steelers will finally beat the Patriots in the AFCCG. If the B's are stars, Steelers win, and I think they will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yes, some stunts with Harrison or Dupree circling through the middle, but if we are using Jarvis Jones much, hopefully we are winning BIG!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw Clowney rush from the middle on some plays even thou he is an edge guy.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Steelers have done stunts in the past. It's not the only way to get the QB, but it can work. However, I tend to think Timmons or Shazier up the middle could be more effective so that the outside guys can hold the edge versus the run.

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I'd rather have Shazier in pass coverage than Timmons. I do agree about Dupree and Harrison holding the edge, but occasionally on 3rd and long, a stunt may be effective.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I would use him sparringly and the only reason I bring it up is one of the only good moves Jarvis has is the bullrush and if he does that versus their center it can make Brady jumpy. I would bring back some of that moving Tuitt around and get Timmons and Shazier moving and coming off the edge, Deebo up the gut but just make that whole line nervous because they don't know who is coming.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Initially I was nervous.. but not as much anymore.

Donta Hightower, Malcolm Butler and Malcom Brown are my biggest concerns on defense.

Blount, Edleman and Brady are it for offense. There is Bennett as well. However, given the fact that Pittsburgh can shut down tight ends again I do not see this as an issue anymore.

Control the clock and capitalize on red zone opportunities and the game is ours.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Have they said anything about his knee? I know he returned to the game after overextending it but they really didn't use him for much after that. If he is hobbled then he becomes less of a factor than those quick outs to Edelman and hitting Lewis out of the backfield.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Multiple reports states he is fine.

However, to say that he will be is different. Will have to wait and find out.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The only problem with ILber stunts is that if the center holds his ground and takes one the other is most often negated by either moving the guard closer to the center after the snap or the RB diving at the knees. In order for it to work the DLine has to really tear gaps in the Oline so they can't help one another.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    yep that will be the thing, I don't trust the New England injury reports, BB's MO is to flood the report with so much minutia that they can hide things in it. HE will list every hang nail and bump and bruise and then bury a knee contusion on page five. Just have to wait and see how much he practices. If he has to help chip on Tuitt or Harrison he may crumble quickly.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he used to list literally every player as "questionable" didn't he? Then didn't the league crack down on him for it?