1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets say Tomlin does get sacked....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Dec 30, 2018.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm just saying there was more than one game where Ben's INTs weren't the deciding factor. A component coaching staff could adjust and still win those games. To not acknowledge that is to be in denial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, and not picking on you, but people here try to deflect Ben’s short comings by pointing blame elsewhere. There is blame all around. Heck, as a fan, maybe I didn’t cheer hard enough at games?

• Like Like x 4
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's because of that one time I couldn't drink coffee out of my Sunday Steelers cup. Oh, and that time I put my flag out late...….

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Lucky underwear for me

5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think Tomlin is the kind of coach that needs very detailed oriented and strong assistants. Some of the suggested hires like a guy to handle replay and one to help with time management would be good. With decent coordinators I think he could succeed. Some coaches like Bellichek can overcome a lack of strong assistants. I don't believe Mike Tomlin can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I used to think I had lucky underwear when I was in vietnam. Then I got some shrapnel in the ass. That ended that.

• Like Like x 4
  7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Welcome to the #FMTI 12-step Program, Dano. You've achieved the first step: admitting you have a problem... with the leadership and direction of this team.

Cheers.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    No (there are a few based on age, etc)
    He is still a part. Small, but a part. Lots of small parts add up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The missed FGs played a part in the season. The team didn't play well enough to win in Oakland. Sometimes teams lose games they should win. Even a team with the worst record in the league has the talent and coaching to beat you.

Outside of wins or losses how do we measure the coaches overall impact on the game/team? All coaches have players that makes mistakes and fail to execute. There isn't a coach in the league that calls a perfect game. The fact that this team was in just about every game they loss speaks to coaching. A play here or there and they might be in the playoffs.

We can actually see and measure the players impact on the game. As a result, players have a much larger role in wins or losses. I speak to turnovers because there probably isn't one statistic that impacts a game more than turnovers.

When this team starts to become less competitive, lose more games then they win, and fail to make the playoffs with any consistency we will know that we have a coaching problem. The next guy that comes in here might have three or four solid years and the team go into the tank. Tomlin's been here for over 10 years and this team hasn't hit rock bottom yet. A lot of quality coaches that became head coaches have come and gone and Tomlin is still helping this team remain competitive and win.

I know some people won't understand because they don't like Tomlin and believe that anything short of a Superbowl win is a failure.

10. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I can measure MT's impact on the Oakland game *directly*. Leaving out your stud QB starter and going with Mini-Shaz because "we were in the flow of the game" (original quote, pay no attention to the bs x-ray excuse that came after the fact) - that's *ALL* on MT. Ergo, he was responsible for that loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Damn you jeh1856!!! I'm getting out my pitchfork.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Look some people won't understand because they like Tomlin and believe anything 8-8 or better is a successful season....

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It's not a Super Bowl win that I expect. It's the perception that we could go deep in the playoffs and maybe get to a Super Bowl. I don't have that perception now, haven't for years. Also the perception that this team hasn't lived up to its potential. If it was obvious that the team was lacking talent I would say yeah it doesn't matter who coaches this squad. But every year that goes by just feels like wasted opportunities. I have nothing against Tomlin personally, I'm sure he's a nice guy and probably a great teacher based on what I hear.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It's not a Super Bowl win that I expect. It's the perception that we could go deep in the playoffs and maybe get to a Super Bowl. I don't have that perception now, haven't for years. Also the perception that this team hasn't lived up to its potential. If it was obvious that the team was lacking talent I would say yeah it doesn't matter who coaches this squad. But every year that goes by just feels like wasted opportunities. I have nothing against Tomlin personally, I'm sure he's a nice guy and probably a great teacher based on what I hear.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kinda odd how there are many former coaches and players calling Tomlin out for the job he has done the last few years. The voices are getting louder and louder but if you listen to some around here they will say the talent is even through out the league and all the coaches are good coaches and it basically just boils down to TOs whether a team is successful or not. I guess those guys don't understand the game either.
    I'm still trying to figure out if all things being even how come there are always 3 win teams and 12 win teams. Oh that's right TOs. Coaching and talent has nothing to do with creating those either.
    Scheming,gameplanning and putting players in a position to succeed has nothing to do with it. Why even have coaches then? Just let the players go out and play and if they screw up it's on them anyway,No?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I just heard a very interesting point brought up by a Steelers Fan on Adam Schein's show. Cowher during his tenure hired 7 assistants who went on to be NFL Head Coaches, 1 of which went to a super bowl, 6 took teams to playoffs. Tomlin in his Tenure which is nearing the same length, has hired ZERO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Someone who is going to run this team like the Pats are run. A no BS person that has the franchise at heart and wants to win.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That's not surprising at all. Cowher considered his assistants very critical to success and wasn't afraid to replace them as necessary. Good assistants covered up his blunders.

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They made the playoffs the last 4 seasons so they had opportunities. This year they failed for one main reason, turnovers.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin will be here next year whether we like it or not. Changes in coordinators on defense and assistants would go a long way to improving the team. The Tim Lewis to Dick Lebeau transition did wonders for the Steelers. Steelers went from 6-10 to 15-1. Drafting a franchise a franchise QB also helped. Steelers can get some help on the D side through free agency and draft.