1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets make this perfectly clear!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeler dane, Nov 3, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    :roflmao:That is classic Grout. Hopefully, the regular season ends more like 12-4. STEELWINDS

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yeah, well that was due to our team's second half meltdown. The rats had no business in the playoffs. If we had won one more game the division was ours. Totally inexcusable! That is why I say (which everyone here knows) every game is so critical; especially when the regular season is only 16 games long. I will pick one from several to choose from. If we beat Cleveland game #1 last year, instead of that dreadful tie, the division was ours. "Disgusting" as I like to say. STEELWINDS

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers were going nowhere in the playoffs even if they won the division last year. It would have been one and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Especially the way Boswell was kicking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Wasn't Boswell on IR? McCrane was our K vs. Bengals in last game.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Your memory trumps mine. (auto correct wants to spell trump with a capital T, wtf Google?)

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    None of us knows quite as much as we think we do when it comes down to exactly quantifies a good coach, but I will respectfully disagree with you on a few points.
    1. If Tomlin gets credit for coaching this team up out of a bad start, who takes the blame for the slow start?.....Which is one of Tomlin's hallmarks.
    2. Maybe the guys playing "hard" for Tomlin is like that guy at work who works really "hard" but because he doesn't work smart, he's a bit of a liability. Players will always play hard for a players coach.
    3. It Tomlin gets credit for coaching this team up out of a bad start, he then must take the blame for the fiasco which has prevented this team from winning anything in recent years despite having some of the best talent the league has ever seen.
    4. If Tomlin is a good coach, why is his entire staff suspect?
    Tomlin has been handed enough talent, culture, and resources to win multiple Super Bowls but he has a terrible record in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin's best year as HC was 2010 when Ben was suspended for the first four games. The comeback playoff win over the Ravens and defeating the Jets after Jets beat Patriots who were the best team in the AFC that year. That was Tomlin at his peak. It's been downhill ever since the Super Bowl loss to the Packers.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I read the OP and decided not to read through 4 pages. Can someone tell me if there is anything new here or is it just more MT apologist garbage?

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly am beginning to think that the refs are fed up with the NFL!
    1. The NFL hands out a new set of rules every year.
    2. The rules are written in such a way they cannot be properly enforced.
    3. The rules apply to some players and not to others.
    4. The rules are not to govern the game of football, the rules are to govern the entertainment factor.
    I think the refs are like "we will call what we want cause the game is a joke and we really don't give a **** anymore"

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well if the DC is trash, then how come the defense is top 3 in sacks and turnovers?

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Talent

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan19

Steelersfan19 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    I would agree, but he just challenges the most random things and wastes timeouts. Also even if they're good challenges he just can't win. He needs to learn!

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why can't it be both? He can have good traits and bad traits. He gets credit for keeping the team together, they don't quit on him.

I suspect though, that they aren't sitting at 4-4 without the Fitzpatric trade. The offense isn't good enough to win games on their own without the defense stepping up this year and Fitzpatrick has pulled it all together.

If he gets hurt, the wheels will come off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And Butler has went back to coaching the OLBs, and Dupree is having his best season :shrug:.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I skipped most of my English classes but does "non-losing" cancel out the "extreme talent" he has had like some sort of double entendre? Or does it compliment "extreme talent".....or is it complement?

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cherry picking those two statistics does not bring us to anything close to a viable analysis of Butler. They are significantly lower in points allowed per game and yards allowed per game, which are both far better measures of overall defensive performance. You are also ignoring years of failures by Butler's defenses and their inability to protect a lead late in the game. They fell apart completely against the Seahawks. They couldn't make late stops with the game on the line against the 49ers and Ravens. They failed again late yesterday, only to be bailed out by a missed field goal.

Butler still can't figure out how to defend the middle of the field. His defenses have been getting destroyed in the same area for years and he never seems to be able to fix the problem.

This group has pass rushers and playmakers, the guys who make those sacks and turnovers happen, yet they still fail too often in the overall scheme of things. That is how we know the defensive coordinator is trash.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is fair to say playing for a contract has a lot to do with Dupree's development this year. It isn't as if Butler wasn't around to help him in previous seasons.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Butler>Porter

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In past years Butler didn't have a opportunistic defense like this one either :shrug:, since 2017 leads the league in sacks. I never said they were a great defense, every defense in this league has its warts.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a good point. I think that means Butler is a better LB coach than a DC.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's your opinion :shrug:, he's doing a decent job handling both duties.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I would argue that this team.... preseason had everything to indicate they could be a playoff contender..... that same talent minus a few injuries..... should have enough talent to beat the likes of Cincinnati, LA Chargers, Miami, and Indy. I don't see any miracle coaching jobs going on here. The only kudos I offer is that.... we aren't losing to the BAD teams.... like we would if we had everyone healthy.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    yes he starts the games, but MR was not the designated
    Thanks. Remarkable stat. I know different era and all that, but shows just how valuable a good D is. Having a Bus to close out does not hurt either.