1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Man they have looked real bad these last two hopefully the last part of this trip is better. The Medicare boys seem awful sleepy with these late night games.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    They have looked like ass since the second period of the Edmonton game. My opinion is they are getting goaded into track meets against teams that have superior overall team speed, Montreal and Edmonton. Plus, they plain got outworked against Calgary, especially in the first period. Once they had the lead against the Oilers, they should have trapped them. They will now win more games with experience and hard work than speed. Still early, long, long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Oilers have been their kryptonite the last two years and my hope is that after this road trip they have fewer games against them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why they ever kept Malkin is a surprise for me?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    he just had a great shift to turnover buffalo and feed zucker. Zucker gave a Jagr salute in the retro jersey. The real headscratcher for me was the money they gave Kap which keeps them in cap hell. The Petry trade isn't looking very strong so far.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Malkin will be out with an injury shortly, as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    response from Jagr on the Zucker salute, he pulled out the old jersey lol

• Like Like x 3
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure the hell wouldn't complain about the Penguins. It was a great run. As always growing old sucks.

Not sure about this but I think the Pens have longest Playoff streak. I could see that coming to an end.

9. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Defensively and in goal, they have been horrid the last six games. PK has been terrible. Blowing multiple goal leads multiples times is not a good sign. This team needs to play a more lock-it-down style. They have no trouble scoring goals, just preventing them. Their speed advantage is gone. Long gone. NHL is a young man's league. Watching them here tonight against the Kraken and they have played an inspired first period. Just as I type this, Malkin takes yet another silly penalty. He is incorrigible. Anyway, it will help having Letang back in the line-up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Played much better tonight but couldn't get timely scoring. Or a big save from Jarry when they needed one. Their old teammate, "Turbo" Brandon Tanev gets the game winner for the Kraken. Losing streak now 7

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All things Black,and Gold not doing so well.

12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Looks like new D pairings and 3rd/4th lines or on the way. Kapanen healthy scratch.

Pettersson-Letang
    Joseph-Petry
    Dumoulin-Rutta

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
    Zucker-Malkin-Rakell
    McGinn-Carter-Heinen
    Hallander-Poehling-Archibald

13. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    4-1 win against the punch less Caps, (Karlsson, Oshie and Tom "Thug" Wilson were out) but it came at a steep price. Pens started the game with 6 defenseman and were down less Joseph, Rutta and Petry at games end. Petry looked like a non-contact knee injury. Joseph, not sure. Rutta took an Ovie-leaves-his-skates hit into the end boards. Might have been a shoulder injury. Goals by Zucker, McGinn, Petry and Guentzel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    BTW, I freakin' love the ESPN studio guys. Knowledgeable and entertaining...especially Bissonette and Tocchet. Those guys are hilarious.

15. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Rutta was a headshot. Petry came back in after Carter took a D-shift. If they or Joseph can't go it will be Ruhwedel and call up Friedman/Smith

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yeah, I forgot Petry did come back. That had me concerned, the way he was favoring his leg.

17. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Great team win tonight from DeSmith, to the defense to the forwards. Malkin, Zucker, McGinn (GW), Guentzel (EN).

• Like Like x 1
  18. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Honestly, I was surprised they were able to get it done. Definitely some good things to build on. Still need to get the PP going.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Same old story on the power play, they are looking for the perfect pass\shot combo instead of putting the puck on net. While I love the creativity when it happens it sucks wasting a two minute man advantage by just passing around on the cycle and never getting the puck to the net.

20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Honestly, they look like an old team. Solid goal tending would help, but the last 8-10 games it looks spotty at best. They have not been good defensively other than Friday night at Toronto. Special teams are bad and you're right, Thorny. Instead of pounding the puck on net from the point, they want the perfect highlight reel passing play. They have developed a nasty habit of giving up goals with under two minutes to go in a period. Or game. I can't count how many multiple goal leads they've blown. Are they just treading water, hoping to turn it on after the All-Star break? I don't know, but they shouldn't have to be told the points they are wasting now count just the same as the ones they will likely need in April.

• Like Like x 1
  21. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Got a win against the Wild the other night. A game they likely lose if they are playing a better team. Tonight, they have played their most complete defensive game of the year, by far against a really good Jets team. Goals by Zucker and a really strange goal on a turnover by Jets goalie Hellebuyck while he was skating off to add an extra skater with around two minutes to go. Sid picked it off, fired it to Rust who put it in the empty cage. Sid had a grin on his face before he passed the puck like he couldn't believe it. Guentzel added a "normal" empty netter for the 3-0 shutout. Jarry was really good the whole game.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Pens starting to turn it on….

23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    They look like a different team since that 7-game losing streak. I think they are 9-2-1 since then. Playing much better in net and defensively. I'd like to see much more of the version of Kapanen last night than how he's been most of his time here. Kid has the talent; he just needs to work harder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone know if it is a special night in Pittsburgh tonight? One end of PPG looks empty. Tuesday night game in Dec but I'd think the place would be jamming but really quiet .

25. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    As far as I know, nothing special. You're right though, some empty seats in the one end.