1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S DO THIS: MENDENHALL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rukus4ever, Dec 22, 2011.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think he's a great back who's talents are not being adequately exploited by this team.

Credits: Has been busting through holes and breaking tackles, lately. Notable examples: 2 TDs against Bengals. Agains SF: Ran to a hole that quickly collapsed as the O-Line couldn't hold and he bounced the play to the opposite direction from behind the line of scrimmage to gain about 7 yards. Further, he seems pretty good in blitz-pickup, allowing Ben more time to extend pass plays.

Debits: Fumbled in SBXLV. I don't care about it being a similar play and GB diagnosing it. He should hold onto the ball... especially in the SB! He has a rep for dancing too much in the backfield instead of plowing through the hole.

Standout: Against the best run defense in the league in the 49ers, who allow an average of only 3.3 yds/carry, Mendy averaged 4.3 yds/carry.

The Coaching/Team Scheme-Effect: Bruce Arians is not running the football, often, as of late. Arguably, also, is that Tomlin is not requesting run plays. Further, BA's run plays are not designed to take advantage of Mendy's strengths: speed and agility.

The O-Line Effect: BA wants to plow the run down the defenses throat, but the O-Line cannot stand up and create a push on run plays (see: 4 runs from the Browns 2 yd line and no TD!). Often the line is pushed back. Also, the O-Line frequently has members falling down in front of Mendy which causes him to have to shuffle around or hop over them which leaves him susceptible to being tackled by the player that owned the O-Lineman plus any LB that is closing on that gap. Note: For those paying attention, even Redman has suffered from this phenomenon! This O-Line has become much more competent in pass-blocking, but has made absolutely no strides in run-blocking.

The Checkdown Effect: Ben is looking for anything from mid-range passes, to the long bomb, in situations where he should checkdown to Mendenhall. Mendenhall usually doesn't have a defender within 5 yards. A checkdown could result in at least a 4-5 yard gain as Mendenhall would only have to shake one defender, initially, and that would often be a corner back (whom he would be stronger than) or linebacker (whom he would be quicker/more agile than).

Personally, I like Mendy as an RB and I think he could be better than Willie Parker, given the right opportunity. I like how he's been hitting the hole harder, as of late, and dragging out the difficult 3 yard gains. At times, he's dragged a few yards falling forward. But, honestly, he usually is stopped right where he's hit, or is knocked back. But that's because it's him against a D-Lineman, LB and a Safety (or some mix of these). Lol! If the Steelers can get him around a corner and into a secondary, we'd see some great runs. Let's not forget he has done this, in the past.

Mendy isn't necessarily playing worse. The team around him has changed. And the scheme is not suited to use his talents to the full. But, as of late, he has changed his approach to try to suit what the team is trying to do. And he has seem some success in doing so. I think that is worth praise.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, he has had a few good games but a great back? Not when his most notable talents include spinning and stutter-stepping at the line of scrimmage and getting dropped for a loss, no gain or a very small gain.

3. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He is an avergae NFL running back. No more. There are at least 10 more Mendy's in the league. I could probably list 15 starting RB's I'd rather have. He definitely shd not be paid top 15 RB money so if that is what he is looking for at yrs' end, see ya.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He does that because as soon as the ball is handed off to him, there are defenders in the backfield. He can't even get to line of scrimmage half the time.

Some of you guys think there's only one way to play the RB situation, and that's the way Bettis played. Mendy isn't that type of RB, nor do we need him to be. What we need is a line that can block for him, an OC who uses him properly, and a QB that is unselfish enough to ignore the long bomb and check down to Mendy.

Mendy's strength is in the open field, and if Ben would stop being so selfish and actually check down to him, you'd see Mendy getting some big time yards. Not only that, but defences would have to start preparing for it. Right now, defences do not prepare for our RB's. They don't have to.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I've had Mendenhall as a Fantasy back the last 2 yrs. I think he's a good RB, not a great one. He is also very infuriating. He breaks the odd long run and scores his share of TDs, but gets stuffed for no gain or 1yd A LOT. Steelers have the ball, 1st and Goal on the 3. Nine time in 10, Mendenhall gets the ball and gets stuffed. He dances, stutters and spins. And just when your fed up with it, he breaks a nice run. He gets rapped a lot for fumbling, but he really doesn't fumble a lot, but when he does he picks the worst times to do it.

The OL can take some blame, but Mendenhall isn't terribly decisive. I also notice that if Mendenhall is having a bad game, and Moore or Redman get a series, all of a sudden Mendenhall starts to run hard when he gets his next chance.

I don't know if that means he's a bit lazy (and I think he might be) or is insecure.

That being said, he's the best back this team has. He's good enough to be a feature back on a championship team. And I don't know that I'd draft an RB high next year to replace him, given all the other needs this team has. I don't know when his contract runs out. And I wouldn't be averse to re-signing him, but if somebody else wants to overpay for him, let them.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :thumbs_up: :cool:

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess the year he had last year behind a bad offensive line is just average.

I can't believe the things I read on here. Mendy lit it up in college for a reason, was a 1st round pick for a reason, was one of the best RB's in the league last year for a reason, he's a great, highly talented RB who is being wasted in Pittsburgh with BA and Ben calling the plays. I'm sure he would love to leave, and if he does, I hope he runs all over the league to show some of you people what we had. The problem is Ben, BA and the Oline, not Mendy. It's hard not to dance when there are defenders in the backfield before he even has the ball.

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't buy it. Redman doesn't spin or stutter-step and even if he gets stuffed at the line he is at least getting back to the line if not falling/driving forward for a yard or 2. You have to hit the line with some momentum or you aren't going anywhere.

What RB isn't good in the open field?

9. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    First 2 replies must be Redman fans...... :lolol:

25 teams would take Mendy and make him their starter. He's that good. However, I never believe in paying running backs that much money, because their careers seem to be the shortest, and they are more easily replaced. If he wants to take a decent salary, I would keep him in a heartbeat. If he tries to demand Peterson or Johnson money, let him walk,

10. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes... yes I am.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    last game 2 carries -2 yds. just sayin. :cool:

12. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, it's at least nice to know I'm not alone in my view of the great RB that the Steelers are wasting.

Further, the Steelers will never have the "lights-out" offense that everyone wants to see until ALL resources are used. This may actually be why the talking-heads don't mention the Steelers in the same discussions with Patriots, Packers, Saints, etc... those teams utilize all of there weapons effectively.

The Steeler's have SO MUCH talent at EVERY POSITION that they should be able to find a weak spot (or even 2 or 3) in every opposing defense in the league.

13. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes! This. Tomlin even referenced this in his presser on Tuesday! They needed a play out of Redman and it was FAIL.

14. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    So 2 carries in 1 game is your only data point?

Mendy - 3.8 yard average, Redman - 4.2 yard average. Redman has gained 10.5% more yards per carry. Just sayin'. ;)

15. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)

16. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:waggshv9]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards. That's why you look at averages. Just sayin'. ;)

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    scott your the one that said he at least gets a yard or two. so, i'm sorry to get your panties in a bunch ,but you were wrong. just sayin ;) :cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:383mr63n]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards.
    Just sayin'. ;)[/quote:383mr63n]
    and memo has a 7.1 per average and dwyer has a 7.7 per cary average. so by your logic these two should be starting. just sayin. ;) :cool:

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:3w1fpq5u]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards. That's why you look at averages. Just sayin'. ;)[/quote:3w1fpq5u]

Are you referring to the ugliest designed draw play out of the shotgun as the play Redman needed to make? Because that is not being fair to him by any stretch of the imagination. Ben gimped the half step to Redman stuck it in his gut and before Redman could get moving the defense was in the backfield and his pulling guard was falling down. The defender hits his feet and Redman slips allowing for a clean up tackle. That is hardly setting the guy up with a play that has a chance of succeeding it was so ugly not even tying a t-bone to its neck would get the dog to play with it. Capital U on Ugly. So lets not judge Redman by that piece of garbage play.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:2nmh61h5]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards. That's why you look at averages. Just sayin'. ;)[/quote:2nmh61h5]

Are you referring to the ugliest designed draw play out of the shotgun as the play Redman needed to make? Because that is not being fair to him by any stretch of the imagination. Ben gimped the half step to Redman stuck it in his gut and before Redman could get moving the defense was in the backfield and his pulling guard was falling down. The defender hits his feet and Redman slips allowing for a clean up tackle. That is hardly setting the guy up with a play that has a chance of succeeding it was so ugly not even tying a t-bone to its neck would get the dog to play with it. Capital U on Ugly. So lets not judge Redman by that piece of garbage play.[/quote:2nmh61h5]

i don't think any of our RB's are bad players. they all have to run in this offense and behind this subpar offensive line. so, trying to pick one being so much better than the other is futile at best. mendy has good runs as do all of them. i saw a well designed play that mendy picked up 10-11 yards on. when they do their job up front and we run some unseen plays, any of our backs are capable of gaining good yardage. mendy just runs more plays where they don't do their jobs and it makes him look worse. if red was the feature back, he would have some stuffed runs as well. it goes with the territory. if we had 5 top linemen their would still be plays that our backs would not get possitive yardage, because the defenders are paid alot of money to stop it too. it's football. it happens. :cool:

21. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:17airidp]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards. That's why you look at averages. Just sayin'. ;)[/quote:17airidp]

There's a reason he gets more attempts. Just sayin'. ;)

22. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok, let's try it this way. If a RB hits the line with forward momentum, he has a significantly better chance of at least getting back to the line of scrimmage or getting a yard or 2 than a RB hitting the line of scrimamge with no forward momentum.

Better?

23. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    The point is that Redman is not a "gimme" where the run is concerned. Mendy has more total yards and more TDs than Redman. Jes sayin'. ;)[/quote:32gwqa9s]

And Mendy is a gimme?

Mendy has 143% more attempts and 119% more yards. That's why you look at averages. Just sayin'. ;)[/quote:32gwqa9s]

Are you referring to the ugliest designed draw play out of the shotgun as the play Redman needed to make? Because that is not being fair to him by any stretch of the imagination. Ben gimped the half step to Redman stuck it in his gut and before Redman could get moving the defense was in the backfield and his pulling guard was falling down. The defender hits his feet and Redman slips allowing for a clean up tackle. That is hardly setting the guy up with a play that has a chance of succeeding it was so ugly not even tying a t-bone to its neck would get the dog to play with it. Capital U on Ugly. So lets not judge Redman by that piece of garbage play.[/quote:32gwqa9s]

And why is it so hard for people to realize this happens to Mendy all the time? I mentioned this in the OP. Huh? :roll:

24. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    And there is a reason Redman has more yards per carry.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree 100%, I thought the week mendenhall sat out with Redman as the feature back that he would just abuse people. However I saw the same things going on for Redman that I have seen out of Mendenhall. That being said I won't lay a majority of the blame on the offensive line either. I have seen them get after guys when they play to their strengths such as man on man downhill run blocking. It is when they are trying to execute zone blocking the struggle and struggle and struggle. I loved Starks first game back because they seemed to abandon the zone scheme and simplified things and just went man on man and it was a good performance by them that day.