1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let me Give You Truths About Ben to Put Things in Perspective

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Dec 3, 2018.

1. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe folks are now seeing what I believe ownership and some have seen for several seasons in that Ben is almost done (might be his last season although I believe he's under contract till 2020) Ownership prolonged his career by not renewing Bruce Arians contract and putting in place Munchak and that O-Line (Those 2 penalties by Foster and Villy were killers last night though), but father time catches everyone. Ben is missing quite a few throws these days and I can say that every game he throws a pass that is of the WTF variety.

Ben was NEVER an accurate sit in the pocket pass QB he was and still is at his best when he can play playground ball. Haley's offense forced Ben to get rid of the ball quicker which Fitchner has tried to keep HOWEVER Ben trusted Leveon on the dumpoff in a manner a repoire he does not have with Connor. JC does not have the same elusiveness as Leveon BUT Leveon is not Bettis who was also a Ben favorite (you think we wouldn't be running the ball more with a closer like the bus?)

Ben CANNOT consistently win you games its NEVER been what he's needed to do, not without a killer D like we used to have, a reliable 3rd down option or two like Hines or Heath or a RB that he could hand the ball off to in the redzone like Bettis

There are some on this board that will say "yeah but we would be nowhere without Ben" or "Watch how we suffer without Ben under center" and that's only partially true at this stage. This game is now being dominated by QB's who can run the RPO option, dual threat guys with accuracy. Players like Ben are dinosaurs against these fast and long lanky DB's. The other QB's are intelligent QB's who have consistently worked on their games and are really great with mixing up the offense to keep you off guard. For the record there's Tom Brady who is incredibly accurate and mixes personnel, tempo and play calling better than anyone and Drew Brees who is now flourishing again because of the threat of a run game with Ingram and Kamara. I DOUBT Aaron Rodgers last another 6 years and he too does not move the way he used to (his arm is still a cannon though). Ben is costing us games with his turnovers as they are not only drive and momentum killers but they are taking points off the board (Browns, Broncos, Chargers). I don't want to hear about penalties, coaches, coordinators etc, I'm talking about Ben. Last week he said that he wanted to go back to Ju-Ju, SO WHY DIDN'T HE? you mean a QB of his tenure does not have the authority to check out of a play? He will tell you that he couldn't run QB sneaks? REALLY!

Bad leadership and its been that way for years.

When was the last time BEN developed a 3rd WR on this team? Think hard!! And he still takes that Veteran's Day off every week right?

If you believe me to be wrong think about this. We used to talk about Ben possibly being one of the elites, certainly a top 3 QB in the league BUT at this moment, as of 2018 there are at least 8 QB's I would take over Ben some might say 9 or 10

1/ Tom Brady
    2/ Drew Brees
    3/ Aaron Rodgers
    4/ Patrick Mahomes
    5/ Deshaun Watson
    6/ Carson Wentz
    7/ Jarod Goff
    8/ Russell Wilson

9/ Ben Roethlisberger
    10/ Andrew Luck ?
    11/ Cam Newton ?
    12/ Matt Ryan / Kirk Cousins?

In the next year or 2 how many QB's will move ahead of Ben as far as who you would take??? Be honest!!

If Ben is no longer a Top 10 or 15 QB (coming soon) then yes its time to move on, for better or for worse. Thoughts??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I am sure Ben will get it together, stop taking wednesday days off and study all night in the film room so no worries honestly

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Your logic is dizzying, and you just throw out a list of QB names in some random order as if one is better or worse than the others..... Let's not forget Aaron Rodgers is 4-7 and just lost his head coach, Russell Wilson is 7-5, Andrew Luck(6-6)/Mahomes/Wentz(5-6)/Goff are all much much younger and have many more years before you can call any of them "elite". That adjective requires multiple seasons of exceptional performance.

Which brings me to my next point.....

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Some people can't handle losing a football game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Might be time to face it this team just isn’t that good

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No QB is perfect. They all have a bad throw every now and then. But the backfoot, lollipop, interceptions need to stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. dominilate

Oct 26, 2011
    You must have struggled with the reading as I never called the other QB's ELITE. I started that I would take at least 8 at this point in time over Ben. Some might take Andrew Luck or Phillip Rivers as well but I wouldn't

My point was to show Ben's descent and why we cannot rely on him at this point in his career, not without a run game and a stout Defense.

Can you honestly tell me there were 5 QB's you would've taken before Ben say 5 years ago? Don't play the age card because 2 of those QB's in Brees and Brady are still top tier and they are as old or older than Ben.

It is time to wake up and smell the coffee

8. dominilate

Oct 26, 2011
    Just can't stand a QB losing 3 to 4 games a year with ill advised throws and unnecessary turnovers (yes Ben has potentially lost you 3 to 5 games annually for the past 3 years)

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    But we're not that bad either. If your standards are absolute perfection then you're always going to be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    That's football. We will never have a perfect QB who never loses a game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. dominilate

Oct 26, 2011
    Great QB's DO NOT lose 2 or 3 games per year because of their errors. The team can lose 2 or 3 games BUT 2 or 3 as a result of your QB is unacceptable no matter how many yards he throws for, no matter how tough he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If he's decent, why can't we rely on him?

13. dominilate

Oct 26, 2011
    Descent (typo)

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben is clutch when you need him, but it is hard for him to do it 60 minutes and all year long.

He needs help. He needs a top tier Defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    So Ben does not meet your expectations of what a great QB should be? That's too bad for you. I'm fine with Ben. I wish he didn't make mistakes but he does and he's staying until he retires or gets drastically worse.

We're not going to tear apart the team because really good is just not good enough for you. This is football. If you set your expectations impossibly high so that no player can ever meet them, then that's on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben still gives the team the best chance to win.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I get the idea Ben plans on playing for a couple more years. He keeps talking about other QBs that are playing longer at a high level. I think he wants to be in that category.

The retirement talk of old I believe was highly motivated by feeling frustrated about poor performance.

I would not be surprised to see Ben around a couple more years, and since I'm a fan that'd be pretty cool. I'm actually his age also so there is a part of me that thinks I'm young still as he's still playing.

So keep him in there lol

18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    HUH?

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Exactly. I have calmed down a little today. The last 3 weeks have been frustrating. But Ben is still a top 5 QB in this league. He just needs to be smarter.

21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Ben is a drama king. He talked about retirement because he wanted the players and the team to beg him to stay, "Please don't retire Ben. We need you!" Drama...