1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk Jags

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Their pass defense is still the best in the league, but with everyone healthy I don’t see our D-Line getting pushed around like last year.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    As it was last year when we put up 42 on them........I am not worried about that defense. Bring on the Jagoffs and let Ben show them...........

3. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    If we can't beat the Jags, Broncos or Raiders, what does it matter if we get to the playoffs and lose in the first or second round. On the other hand we have as good a chance to get to the Super Bowl as anyone else in the AFC.
    KC and NE defenses might be worse than ours. Chargers look tough. For me it all comes down to how consistent Big Ben plays. His play will determine how far we go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I love Ben and what he does, but some of the balls he threw in the playoff game were complete tossups because the coverage was so good. I don’t blame him for trying it because we were playing catch up the whole game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I can't see Ben throwing 5 picks again that's for sure. Shut down Fournette, get the score up and then tee off on Bortles. The Jags are struggling and they have to keep the losing train going for them.

How about old Chucky? Doing great things in Jokeland :lolol: Just glad I don't have to hear him in the booth anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure I follow this. After all, the Pats couldn't beat us in 2004 regular season. The play-offs are a different ball game and, like you say, we have as good a chance as any in the AFC this year.

But I agree with the importance of consistency. Against the Jags last year, Ben had a rating of something like 38. You're unlikely to beat any team with that kind of rating (aside from the 2005 Seahawks perhaps).

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Even more reason to my point of us putting up 42 against that "great" defense, we were playing catch up making us one dimensional therefore the Jagoffs knowing we were gonna pass......and we still did!!!! I admit they had a good D but we proved it last year we could score on it and they are no where near as good this year. Bring on the Jagoffs I want to see some revenge

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This game is going to be closer then their records indicate. Bortles actually had a decent game against the Colts. Fournett didnt have a lot of rushing yards but he had a great game in receiving yards mostly on short passes and screens so that our pass rush can't get to Bortles. Fournett was a little rusty after sitting for 5 or 6 weeks, but he is still a beast to bring down when he gets going.

Only reason they lost was a fumble by their receiver late in the game. I think we still win if we don't turn the ball over and our offense keeps playing like they have. We do need Conner also in order to keep the Jags honest and not to tee off on Ben.

I'll be there with hopefully thousands of other Steeler fans going crazy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Fournette had 53 yards on 24 carries yesterday, nothing scary about that.......

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    1. So what if Fournette runs for 75 yards in the 1st half.

2. As long as the Steelers score quickly and efficiently giving up a drive or two where Jacksonville has to eat up the clock moving the ball on the ground, won't hurt them.

3. Outscore the Jags often and early and it will force them to abandon the conservative high percentage low risk game plan they like to use. instead relying on Bortles arm to win the game which has been a poor strategy for them at best.

4. I do offer some English as a second language translation for those who request it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We're gonna find out quick if Bostic and V. Williams can get some 3 and outs. It's up to those two to stop Fournette.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You would have thought the Steelers would have had full attention last year in the playoff game after getting thumped at home already. Maybe this time will be different. On to Jax.

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It could be a close call, but I think they are too cold and we are too hot. We SHOULD win comfortably as in two scores spread, but if they fight like hell, then a squeaker. They may be too demoralized to fight their best.

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Vince Williams looked horrendous in both Jags losses last year...If my memory serves me correctly

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I definitely don't think it's a blowout. I think we'll see it being within 10 points or so.

If Bortles rushes for more yards than Cam Newton... lol

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I still find it a little suspicious Jags dominate us with all these interceptions then suck against everybody else. Then I found this... 1) This is Bells agent who is giving him the great career advice and 2) Any chance they gave the Jags info?

17. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    We can win if we hold Fournette under 200 total yards and 2 TDs. It is a real question whether we can do this though. Fournette owns the Steelers' soul.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's an awfully low bar you are setting there.

19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This will be a tough game and I'll give my reasons. The way the Steelers generate pressure exposes them to screens and wheel routes, McCaffery scored 3 times like that. I know 1 was garbage time but short 3 yard passes against this defense turn into 40 yard pass plays far too often.

The pressure, this is a must win for Jacksonville and against a team that has a history of being over confident has all the makings of a rebound game for the Jags. Tomlin needs to have his team focused after coming off a big win, something he hasn't been able to do his entire career.

I think this game hinges on McDonald and Jesse James, the Jags defense will play man coverage and keep 8 in the box to stop Connor. The TEs will need to take over the game but McDonald's hands are getting shaky again and Jesse lacks the athleticism to take a short pass and make anything out of it. This game will be tougher than some think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to nitpick your response but McCaffery scored on two wheel routes and a goalie plunge set up by a PI call in the endzone. The two wheel routes were breakdowns by guys that should know better. No excuse for those. If Jacksonville tries doing the same thing it is advantage Pittsburgh. Fournette doesn't have the same speed and the threat that Cam had to run isn't there with Bortles. Force Fournette east and west and gang tackle him.

21. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I placed a 1,000 bet on the Steelers to win and gave the Jags 3.5 points. I think the Steelers win by at least a touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There really have been 3 successful things during this 5 game win streak for the Steelers.

1.Committing to stopping the run.
    2.Rushing the QB
    3.Committing to the run game and doing it successfully.

Just keep doing those 3 things and don't let the stupid stuff beat you. Turnovers and Penalties.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jags are still our daddy till we beat them. D-line & linebackers can't get pushed around like last year. Ben needs to not give them the ball & we will be fine.

Steelers 37
    Jaguars 17

I think the "trap game" is Denver.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    T J Watt was horrendous in the second game for what it’s worth. I think we all expect more out of him this time around?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know about that, I would say 3rd down conversion is as big of a key as any you mentioned no? I agree rushing the QB and running the ball are big too but 3rd down conversion had been big imo.

• Agree Agree x 1