1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Doing this one first. Only focused on the roster for next year more than anything.

DE
    Hayward
    Tuitt
    Alualu
    Buggs

NT
    ???
    ???

OLB
    Watt
    Dupree - I think he comes back
    Ola
    Skipper

ILB
    Williams
    Bush
    Gilbert
    Dirty - Again he comes back. Good special team guy. Don’t know if he is anywhere but here.

CB
    Haden
    Nelson
    Hilton
    Sutton
    Layne

S
    Minkah
    Edmunds
    Dangerfield
    Allen
    Davis - I know it’s crazy but I actually like him as the 3rd safety and when no one else signs him I think we get him cheap.

I’d like to add either an inside or outside guy at LB yet to this roster.

NT is a mess.

Thoughts??

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There's actually some good LBers, inside and out, available this Free Agency period. Cory Littleton and Joe Schobert would be pipe dreams on the inside, but there are a few others to consider.
    Kevin Pierre Louis from the Bears would be a nice add. Pretty quick dude and sits behind Kwiatkowski and Treviathan.

Depends what happens to Bud on who they want to target if anyone at OLB. Kyler Fackrell is interesting, got nosed out by some big FA names in Green Bay but had 10.5 sacks in 2018. Could be a Chick type rotational guy if Dupree is re-signed. Jeremiah Attaochu is another.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    our defense will be even better next year but Ben will stink it up. 7-9 lol

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New sig is tight:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m in on Fackrell as well but I’m looking to add him to a competition between he.,Ola and Skipper and not bringing Dupree back. That would free up that money to possibly target another ILB to replace Barron and a veteran S as well along with experimenting with Edmunds to SS/ILB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I'd rather them let Javon walk and draft an Interior Defensive Lineman in the 2020 NFL Draft. Plenty of talented Interior Defensive Lineman in this draft. Draft one early with that pick or pick one up with the Third Round Comp.

Bud Durpee is likely to get either tagged or signed long term. Either or can happen at this point. Bud Durpee should not be just the primary focus here. T.J. Watt should be despite still being on a Rookie Deal. He is exceeded both his contract and his draft status. Pay the man!

Completely agree with @thesteeldeal. Either look into a Strong Safety in Free Agency or in the draft. Change Terrell's position as he was better in college at Linebacker anyway. Kick Mark Barron to the curb.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we need another ILB to pair Bush... and better LB depth in general.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I feel edmunds is just gonna end up A bust in the end lol

9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TarheelFlyer.

I do not think that you and I have ever chatted before. Good to talk with you.

Regarding the Nose Tackle position. I have gone on record numerous times about this and have heard all of the counter-arguments about the traditional NT position, as I envision it, to be obsolete. That being a true NT like Casey Hampton. One that requires the opposing team to have to address with multiple blockers. I like Hargrave but I still think a "true" out of the Casey Hampton prototype would serve us better. You could even mix and match the Hampton and Hargrave type if done properly.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If Jordan Scott declares he might be worth a look for NT prospect.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm sure the FO prioritizes which pending free agent they want to re-sign and I have a suspicion they have Dupree higher than Hargrave. I would be the opposite but that's neither here nor there.

As to the SS position, I bet S. Davis is signed for the minimum and we'll see how many prospects come in for visits to gauge their interest. The FA route has proved to yield better results when getting DBs so that may be an option.

• Agree Agree x 1