1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s just get it on the record once and for all.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Were you in the stadium for that debacle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It was 100% Lebeau's defense until he retired. In fact, when they hired Tomlin, they explicitly told him he has to keep Lebeau and let him run the D.

Not taking into account that Tomlin inherited the coaches that Cowher had (one of which was Dick Lebeau) is ignorant and inaccurate.

Ignoring Dick Lebeau is pretty freaking ignorant. LOL

Tomlin has always been a crap coach, and lived off the entire org he inherited from Cowher, players and coaches included.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    You betcha

I’ve been there 54 years so far

I’ll keep saying if we had kept JH and let him play some in the game we would have won

T J Watt sucks on outside containment still but he was horrible that day he hit the rookie wall

3rd and long and Jax constantly ran outside T J for first down because they knew they could

Grumble grumble grumble

4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    For years the Tomlin defenders in the media reminded me of this!!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are one of worst teams in the NFL. Bears looked amazing today vs Browns. Commanders, Jets and Panthers could beat the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It actually depends on the locker room. If he loses them it's time imo. I think it's important to not go into fire everyone mode because the team has met some adversity. We will see

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't ignore LeBeau. Unlike you, I understand that a head coach and a defensive coordinator do different jobs. Some of Tomlin's wrinkles did make it into the defense. If you don't understand that the 2008 team mixed in his principles with LeBeau's zone blitz, you are even more ignorant than I thought. That is something that Tomlin deserves credit for, that as a head coach, he was smart enough to add some of his principles to what was already a damn good defense while helping LeBeau incorporate new parts like Woodley and Harrison. (Harrison was already there, but he didn't become a full-time starter until after Tomlin took over.)

I'm sorry you can't see past your bitterness or whatever else is driving you to see that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bears lost to the Browns. They can lose to anybody right now, but the Steelers' have been gutted by injuries, too.

9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Go rewatch those seasons... your memory is failing you... likely due to your focus on verbosive-diarrhea... which is preventing your ability to logically analyze historical data.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, your bitterness toward Tomlin is blinding you. They ran more of Tomlin's zone principles in 2008, especially in passing situations, because they could get home with four pass rushers. I'm sorry that it was too subtle for you to see it at the time. That's your failure.

Regardless, Tomlin's job as head coach isn't to run the defense. By your logic, Cowher deserves no credit for 2005 because that was LeBeau's defense.

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Go.

We have 3 games remaining. Bengals, Seahawks and Ravens. I don't see a path to victory against the Bengals. They are playing decent and getting Burrow back. The Seahawks are not great, but are a lot better than the Cardinals and Patriots......so maybe we can beat them? And the Ravens? I don't know that we can even beat their backups right now. We would need to somehow win 2 of 3 of these games to get a winning season. I just don't see that happening. Tomlin is heading for his first losing season.

So what affect will that have?

IMO, we need a big change in coaching at all levels. Lack of preparation against easy win teams that result in a loss for us, players acting out and speaking out, lack of discipline on the field, former players saying the modern Steelers no longer have the Steeler culture, and more red flags. These are all leadership/coaching problems. The OC was fired mid season, supposedly not by Tomlin if the rumors have any truth to them. I can't imagine that there is not a broader conversation at the upper levels of the Steelers if the rumors have truth in them. The team owners have to see these things and recognize that the problems are there. I think they finally acted and got rid of Canada, but are probably thinking about more changes.

My hope is that Tomlin decides to retire, failing that, maybe the owners will trade him away (although I can't see them doing that). What I think will happen is that Tomlin will finish out his contract and move on or retire outright. A coach who's claim to fame is longevity and no losing seasons is not worth ~10 million a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Huh? Burrow is out for the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Safety and ILB have been brutal, but that doesn't excuse the futility of the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    This is the 6th straight season where we have had a 3 or more game losing streak! This hasn't happened since 1933-1942.... Our first 9 years in the league.... Is this isn't proof positive that Tomlin has run his course... Well keep watching!!

He should be gone, I hope he is gone, we need a change!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It has, but it looked like it might be enough to sneak into the playoffs before the injuries struck.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it was a DISGRACE. I personally was not in the stadium, but was LIVID that entire afternoon / evening / week / (dare I say rest of the offseason??!?!)

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Even when they were 6-3 they were not good....They were just lucky with so many break in almost every win...I remember they were bottom 5 in yards on offense and defense when they were 4-2

It's hard to keep winning with stats like that and you can lose to any team with stats like that and we saw that against 2 2-10 team at home recently

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

look - the 7 wins were masquerade - SMOKE and MIRRORS. generating less O than the opponent and all that stuff. if was a BIG FACADE, all due to collapse.

The LV win, was a sham. so was the first CLE win and the BALT win and the Rams win (with help from the refs). there was a lateral vs. GB that the blind refs did not see. We lucked out there too....

We have sucked this year. once we got to 400 yards, we EEKED out a BIG 16 points !! WOO HOO!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    go-- unless non-losing season. if loss this
    week:puking2: Tomlin

20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Like I said, go watch the games again and then come back and lets see if you keep making your random assertions. Tomlin has f-all do it with Lebeau's defense.

At most, Tomlin added as much as Switzer did by using Deon Sanders on offense in 1995.

I give Cowher credit for hiring Lebeau - that's a big freaking credit, and the main job of a HC: hire competent coaching staff. Hence why I'm comparing Tomlin to Switzer. I guess that's too subtle of a point for you to get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Fire Mike Tomlin Immediately

23. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Go. So now what happens now that the majority says to GO. Any suggestions.????

What do you say Mr. Rooney???

24. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
  25. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    For some reason, I had remembered reading an article that he was coming back next week..... But he is not and you are right...... But we still won't beat them the way they are playing right now.