1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Legursky signs his Tender

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by traceman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Legursky

According to Kiesel's facebook page, Legursky has signed his tender.

Brett Keisel
    Congrats to Doug Legursky, Trai Essex & Jerricho Cotchery & to all who have signed with Steelers recently! ~Trish

2. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
  4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I love Legursky as a backup. He's versatile and does a great job in a pinch... but he is not starting material.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Doug is starter material....IMO he needs to be sandwiched between 2 Great players to make that work....He does lack some talent in some areas ,but he excells as a puller IMO....

So when the system expects him to help from both sides and it expects him to double Team and come off blocks he is really not that good....

Him and Pouncey are the best pullers om the Team,both of them need to be at the Guard position IMO....We need a bigger stronger Center and more athletic Tackles.....

If those 3 spots where right then Pouncey and BIG Doug would be the best set of lead blockers in the NFL IMO....

There is a reason we can't run against a 3-4 front and it is above....The Center and Tackles must be able to handle there 1 on 1 duties and allow the Guards to get a free run.....I Love 33 and 34 Counter trap where the OT goes straight to the LB and both Guards pull .....The play side guy smashes the trap guy and the offside OG leads it up in there...Hopefully on the SS..LOL...4 real though Doug and Pouncey would be great in such a scheme...

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    First of all, you're out of your mind for suggesting Pouncey be moved to guard. He might also have great hands, so if he does should we put him at receiver? He is incredible at center no matter who he is blocking. And you can have the center pull if the scheme calls for it, but Arians' never did. And since when is having two good guards and no center better than one good guard, one good center, and one bad guard? Shifting our best player out of position isn't going to do anything. And he's NOT naturally a guard, he's a center. He's doing his thing. Get a new guard.

Second of all, Legursky is only starting material if he's sandwiched between two great players? What the hell kind of condition is that? That's a terrible endorsement. "Yeah, I'm a pretty good receiver when Joe Montana is my quarterback and I'm going against Dewayne Washington."

Third of all, saying Legursky is the second best puller on the team is like bragging about being skinnier than Casey Hampton. His competition is Kemoeatu, and all Doug has to do to be better than that is not fall down on his own. I'm not sure if he's better than Foster, since Foster didn't get to do much pulling over at RG.

So far I've graded 5 Doug Legursky games, and I can tell you that he was the most inconsistent player on the team last year. Some guys have good games and bad games. Most guys are streaky. With Doug, every game is good and bad. It varies play by play. It's not like he's a QB, where 25 out of 40 is respectable. On the OL that's just being unreliable.

He can play all 3 interior spots and has experience at all 3, and can do a decent job for a backup. I'm happy to have him around, but if he's starting opening day we will not have improved. We need to draft someone for that spot.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Doug is a true OG..The Steelers zone scheme is not for him....Of course he didn't grade well.....And if we had better tackles Doug and Foster would grade a lot better....

And moving Pouncey is exactly what we need to do....The Center takes more punishment and he is covered more often than not.....Pouncey would be a lot better in space so I am not crazy to suggest that.....

Plus you must keep in mind you have really never seen a good trap play since Arians got here,I invision what these guys can do with good plays not what they put on tape with BA......

The bottom line is OG is more valuable than the Center in the run game,basically we could get a Center in round #2 who could be Pouncey like IMO,,,we can't get a OG of the same caliber past pick #14.......So you say I am crazy and I think I value Pouncey higher than you do...

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!: Leave Pouncey where he belongs, at Center and Lergursky where he belongs, as a back up.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think you do, if you think a 2nd round center (especially this year) will be as good as Pouncey is in the middle.

You're taking one attribute of his and saying he should change positions. As center, he will still be in space plenty, especially with a better OC. Even in a 3-4, a guard sometimes takes the NT. And what about 4-3 teams? Plus, you might remember he was slotted to play RG as a rookie, but was so good at center that the team felt they had no choice but to start him there and cut Hartwig, even though Hartwig-Pouncey was a higher combined level of talent than Pouncey-Essex. He was so good at center they threw all their plans out the window. He was not as good at guard.

Of course, none of this matters, because taking the best player at his position in the NFL and moving him to a new position is a bad idea anyway, especially when it's for no good reason. It's not like we got Jeter and A-Rod here. It's more like Jeter and a bunch of bat boys. Why draft a shortstop and move Jeter? Why not just get a damn 3rd baseman? They're all over.