1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lebeau's replacement ??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just finished watching NFL total access they were saying if Lebeau decides to retire after this season. Rumour has it the Bucs Head coach Raheem Morris could be the one to take over since him and Tomlin are great buddies. That's if the Bucs don't renew his contract.

2. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I guess they don't know about Keith Buttler then.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing

4. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    There's no guarantee that it would be Butler, and I would interview others, but for year it's been thought that KB would replace DL. It's like Caldwell replacing Dungy (and I'd take Dungy as DC, even though he wouldn't think about the job), except that Butler wouldn't sit Peyton Manning when his team had a change to go 16-0, and then make sure that in the next game his tight end got his 100th catch of the season.

Does the Rooney Rule apply to assistant coaches? I know that the Cowboys circumvented the Rooney Rule when they hired their current head coach, since, like Keith Butler, he was already with the team, but they Rooney's team has to follow the Rooney Rule, right?

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    lets see

Tampa Bay 30th total defense, 31st in points per game, 30th in yards per game, 30th in rushing yards per game, 30th in total sacks,

no thanks

6. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man please. Keith Butler will be the next C for the Steelers. You think the Steelers would change to the 4-3 and Tampa Two defense and bring in Morris to run it. I don't think so. The Steelers are a 3-4 team and will stay that way. Plus, I don't think Lebeau will retire after this season, especially if we don't win the Super Bowl which I don't see us winning this year. I see Green Bay repeating.

However, I do see the Steelers being better next year and possibly getting back to the Super Bowl and Winning it. This years team has to many issues. And I do not see Bruce Arians being with the team next year. Bywhatever means necessary I see him gone. I think the Rooneys will step in and make a change. Tomlin and Ben will not be able to save Arians job after the season. I can't believe that Tomlin wanted to keep Arians as the OC. He doesn't have any control with Arians as the OC because Ben loves the guy because he lets Ben pass all the time. It didn't happen under Cowher because Cowher had a ball control/running offense.

7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The reason for the D taking the nose dive is because Morris lost all of his coaches. It's what I read don't shoot the messenger lol

I'm just worried if Keith Buttler takes over will he just continue to do what Lebeau is doing?

as giving the receivers too much of a cushion and the predicable blitzes

8. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If he can continue to do what DL has been doing, I say sign him up right now.

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    so I guess teams will continue to convert on 3rd down and 8's :-(

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If it's Butler or whoever I just hope it's someone that uses a 3-4 defense, willing to play man-to-man and innovative enough to come up with blitzes. Lebeau is the man but he has become so predictable.

Anyone remember blitzburg? the zone blitz? I have not seen it all year. the occasional blitz up the middle (fire zone) does not work. It work with Kirkland because he was big enough to force pressure up the middle. Foote and Farrior are too light in the pants.

I remember back in the 90's that you would see at least one different blitz a week. then he would start back with the week one blitzes. I haven't seen none of it. And i can't figure out why. I think we have a better secondary now and should be able to blitz a little more.

I can't stand the Ryan brothers or the Harbaugh Brothers but look at there blitz packages. Ingenuity. Sending everyone from one size and covering with the other side. Look at Green Bay blitzes. Capers and Greene are sending different looks and I don't think there defense is half as good as ours.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Keith Butler would have the inside track, I would hope
    that he would change things up a bit. I would like to see our defense
    be a little more aggressive. I would like to see them play like they did against the Pats.
    Thats the defense I want to see.

12. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I checked the overall defensive stats this morning on espn.com and the Steelers are ranked #1 in overall defense. But I still think we can get better...it just seems that we don't get enough pressure on the QB anymore.

I wonder if Tomlin will eventually go to a 4-3?

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Our past 4 games were against the Bengals twice, browns and KC, those games probably boosted the stats. This defense will get eaten up from a half descent passing game. ( like SF's) they were running NE's offense the quick shorts passes. The D that stopped Brady would've givin us a better chance in winning.

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to see a but of a change when the time comes. Lebeau's schemes don't work as well when most teams routinely run 3-4 and sometimes 5 WR sets. Then our D goes from zone blitz to hang on for dear life. You can have 4 CB's who all run 4.20 40's but if there's no pressure on the Q.B. they'll get burnt.

15. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I am for going to the 4-3 then

16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's even more reason we need those DLinemen to learn how to rush the passer. When we rush just 3 no one gets to the quarterback. I thought Ziggy had some pass rush ability. But we need our linemen to be able to rush.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Didnt the Steelers block Keith Butler from interviewing for the DC job in Arizona? That tells me that he's the next DC.

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    When I saw the title of the post I thought, immediately, of Hogan's Heroes. ;) Did I miss something and Le Beau has announced a retirement? Or is it all speculation?

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL! Those clowns at NFL Network have to try to figure out how to fill air time, so they talk, and talk, and talk, and talk......

It doesn't matter whether or not their talk has any basis in fact, they just talk.

20. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Shhh you're showin' your age!

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Really.
    Because I'm old and I don't get it.

22. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah where's that defensive game plan been the last few weeks? I guess it worked too well so they had to toss it?? :shrug:

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You don't remember Hogan's Heroes? Or that the little french guy was LeBeau? It's brought up on a local radio station quite often that LeBeau (Robert Clary) is still alive while so many other celebrities are dying of old age...........................never mind. :shrug: