1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence Timmons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Jan 25, 2017.

1. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    He was ineffective on the outside. I have pictures from the game at Arizona to show you.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steeler's have never in my recollection sign players to a large 3rd contract, Hence PEEZY, Big Red,
    others. It just ain't happening thats why Steeler players better get as much as they can with the Steelers on the
    2nd contract, Bell & Brown will break the bank.

3. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Recall when Colbert and Tomlin said publicly that they were going to make one more run with the old guys? Polamalu was a good example, signed in March 2014 to an extension, lasted one year retiring in April 2015 leaving us with dead money of $9.375 mill from the 2015 and 2016 seasons that he never played in. That's what I'm talking about. Cost us Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis (kept old Ike Taylor with a cap hit of over $7 mill in 2014) and Emmanuel Sanders, etc.
    Ridiculous unreasonable restructurings of Timmons and Woodley cost us dearly too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe NOR, that these contracts/restructuring were an overall big picture item. These players you speak of, granted were paid
    a lot of money, but no record making deals for them like you see in 2ND contracts.Bell&Brown
    will break the bank, think of there standing in the NFL, they want paid for this standing.You could argue that these two are regarded as the two best players at their respective positions.
    Just a quick side note, with a hard salary cap, you can't keep all the players you would like too. Have the Steelers made some mistakes, yes they are human also.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    never said elite anymore. I agree with that. its hard to be the best defender on the defense when you cant stay on the field. Timmons is always on the field. I admit he has lost a step but even the great bill belicheat said the week of the game that he is still a game changer on defense. I just think it would be foolish to let him walk when he makes your defense better and wants to be here. you cant tell me that anyone behind him is better?

6. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I'm a little more optimistic. Bell will be franchised so that won't be the highest contract ever for a RB.
    Brown still has one more year salary at $4.71 mill, I'm not counting the pro-rated bonus since that has already been paid and won't be part of the new 'record breaking' contract. So if he gets an extension for what A.J. Green(Green's is currently the highest average compensation per year) just got, 4 yrs-$60 mill, then it is actually a 5 year--$64.71 mill contract. That puts him 5th on the list of highest paid wrs. Not breaking any records either.

7. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I read an article in the P-G interviewing Colbert. Back when they were signing the old guys to 3rd contracts, 2013-2014. Colbert said that most 2nd contracts end up being worth it because the player performs. Even at big dollars it's worth it.
    It's the third contract that bites you. Because of the dead money that will come due when the player can't play it out. It only pays off if it gets you the Super Bowl immediately like it did for the Ravens in 2000, then they didn't mind spending the next 7 years paying off dead money while playing rookies and free agents that couldn't win a game.
    Come to think of it, they kinda did the same thing with Flacco's big contract, hoping for one more Super Bowl the next year too. Failed. And you're stuck with the dead money and a losing team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    OK, you're right. I agree. Good points.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thank him for his service and throw him a retirement party. His skill set has diminished and it's only going to get worse. Retire now before you end up playing like Troy P did in his final seasons.