1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Time a Steelers Head Coach Was Fired..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Dec 7, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I thought the original subject of the thread was to answer if the Rooney's would fire Tomlin?

My personal answer is no... with an asterisk.

Mike Munchak was a Head Coaching Candidate that was brought in by Arizona on two seperate occassions. Keep in mind that, while his record was not good, Munchak does have some Head Coaching experience.

Again, something to keep an eye on. Will Tomlin get fired after this season? Unlikely. Will he be let go the year after should he fail yet again? Possibly.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    EXACTLY

If Bill stayed through Bens entire Career we have at least 2-3 more SBs

• Like Like x 2
  3. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    I like that quote lol

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Nope never worked for Mikey.

5. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    It’s crazy we were just talking about how Tomlin had quietly pulled this team together, but now were talking about whether he should be fired. It’s crazy how in just two weeks things change so much. If anyone needs to go, it’s Butler. I truly don’t understand how he even has a job. His defenses and defensive philosophy stinks. Plus they can’t pick a good cornerback to save their lives.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    delusional if Tomlin was a elite coach he wouldn't let his franchise QB call the shots. If Tomlin was an elite coach he wouldn't struggle to make the playoffs with a roster as talented as the Steelers . Can you imagine what bill belichick would do with this roster

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

They owned a beach house in North Carolina before they bought the house in Raleigh.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree, Butler needs to go before Tomlin. Dude is stubborn with his ways, and can’t adjust to save his life.

“We guessed wrong, it happens”

Lol what

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is crap right here, let's see how MT does without a franchise QB.......and that isn't going to be to long unless MT leaves when Ben does. MT is a good coach but let's not forget he took over a SB caliber team full of veterans. That means a lot when it comes to a young inexperienced coach. MT got what most people want and that is to come to an organization that has patience and a team already to win. jmo

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Please do not say that name again.........:noose:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is my problem with all the talk about Butler. When Tomlin came here he was told DL was his DC and when DL left Butler was promised the DC job. MT never has been able to choose a DC and both DC's were 3-4 guys. MT is not a 3-4 guy and wants to switch the D as we have seen over the years with this hybrid system we run. Last year it was widely reported and talk to death on here how MT took over the play calling/game planning of the D.

So with that said how can we blame Butler and not Tomlin? Also when was the last time a DC picked a player in the draft? Sure they have input but they don't make the call. Was Butler the DC when they draft Burns, nope not his call. Butler was DC when they traded for Haden so if he gets the hit at being bad at picking corners he should get the hit as to the guy getting us our best one too.

I am not sure who is to blame and I am not sure nobody here is but what I do know is year after year we keep falling short and IMO a lot of the blame is scheme not talent. We continue to give large cushions and allow QB's easy 8 yards completions. Last year was proof vs the Jagoffs, we made Bortles look like Joe Montana with the easy passes.

Here lies the problem now if Butler is making them calls I am all for him to go bye bye but if not the person who is needs to go bye bye. Problem is we really don't know who is making these calls or game planning.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Your last sentence is the answer.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It gave Cowboys a ring and not us so imagine how I feel lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I just think it is amusing how people want to discredit everything Tomlin has accomplished while pumping up Ben. Right now Tomlin's case to be among the elite coaches in NFL history is as good as Ben's case to be among the elite QBs in NFL history if you go strictly off their actual records and results. For some reason everyone wants to give Ben all the credit for Tomlin's success while simultaneously putting all the blame for Ben's failures on Tomlin. I imagine that had Ben been a consistent playoff performer Tomlin would look a lot better in that regard as well. As it is Ben is clearly a step down from his regular season performance when it comes to the playoffs. He has 30 TDs and 24 INTs. No one would say that is particularly good and it definitely isn't elite. I think pretty much all the knocks on Tomlin are also applicable to Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't disagree with this and I am not putting Ben into elite status either. My point is show me a coach who has won consistently without a franchise QB, Cowher couldn't. Like I posted before MT came to a veteran team with a franchise QB and great ownership. Let's see how MT does without one of them, that is all I am saying.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tomlin was hired because of his defensive resume, mainly the defensive backfield...That has been a joke and our biggest weakness for years...That debacle Sunday night with EVERY ****ing pass going to Keenan Allen with ILB's covering them was an embarrassment...Even the commentators kept saying " Not sure what the Steelers are doing here"

Hasn't won a challenge in 2 years, sucks with timeouts and clock management...So other than having a non-losing season...Tell me exactly what does Tomlin bring to the table...And I am serious

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the million dollar question. Who is to blame? Who is calling the shots? The answer is the same though. It always circles back around to the HC. Tomlin used the excuse with Lebeau that it was Dick Lebeau and who was he to change anything. Now the DC is Butler does he still have the same philosophy? I highly doubt it. Does Tomlin not have the power over his staff? Any coach with his tenure and his success and as great as many think he is. How could he not? Butler should of been fired last year and in my opinion he wasn't because Tomlin also had a big hand in the defensive planning and calling. I don't think this year is any different. This " hybrid" scheme is Tomlins baby and is the reason we drafted multiple safeties in the draft. The fear that a few of us had around here about the "hybrid" being vulnerable to rushing attacks is rearing its ugly head. Especially with the claim by Butler that they guessed run on that pivotal play and tried to substitute accordingly. Where was the " hybrid " and the confidence to call for it in a crucial situation?

The fear of having to use Bostic or VW in coverage is also a reality as we all saw just last week. That's why many were clamoring for a 3 down LB in the draft or at least a upgrade athletically to what we have. It seems to me in hindsight we may have missed out on a couple LBs in the draft who are making a impact.
    Instead we chose to go the " hybrid " route but seem to lack the confidence to actually use it in big spots.
    Fort who was probably our most athletic option was taken off the field because of the fear of the run. I thought we don't live in our fears? They might pretend not too but I certainly live in the fear of what stupid decision and excuse they will come up with next....

Butler has got to go. His failures have been well documented. Let Tomlin bring in whoever he wants next year so there are no more excuses. It's time we got the answer to the million dollar question......

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That's fair and I agree. Btw, I'm not actually that invested in Tomlin as our coach I just get tired of people constantly ragging on him. He's not incompetent like a lot of people seem to think. He definitely has his flaws but so does our franchise QB. I am happy that we have both of them regardless.

19. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Yes I can. It’s called winning championships

20. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

So not winning challenges is huge in your book but having one of the best winning percentages of any head coach in history is just okay?

Tomlin sucks with time outs? Ben can call a timeout too.

The debacle Sunday night was not a debacle. We lost a football game. You were not harmed. You were not embarrassed. Every team loses games.

What does Tomlin bring to the table? Consistency. No big changes. If you want constant change then maybe the Raiders are for you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    He couldn't even beat a backup QB in the super bowl.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am fine as well with Tomlin but I am not fine with what we have done. This team is loaded with talent and should have a lot more to show for it imo. This all comes back to the man leading the way and that is why Tomlin gets the hits......as he should. Winning cures everything and I am not talking going 13-3 I am talking super bowl!

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol, at least he made it there. And I guess those 5 other rings he has a HC are nullified because of it.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Curious Case of Mike Tomlin.

Despite his consistency in the regular season and usually making the playoffs, I've always found it bizarre how it never seems like MT learns from past mistakes. Like the concerning record against bottom dwelling teams. After 11 years I would expect any coach to rectify that. He's very knowledgeable at the game and a great teacher it seems but why that doesn't translate further...idk.

It would be unprecedented to fire someone like this but I fear there will always be a brick wall every season. So what do you value then? A consistent regular season or the potential for more?

25. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Tomlin wakes up every year to 8-10 wins based on his offensive talent alone. He is holding this franchise back and by the time Rooney figures this out Ben will be retired and we will be 4-12

• Agree Agree x 1