1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Time a Steelers Head Coach Was Fired..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hogwash. Cowher retired because he wanted to be with his family, he wasn't pushed out and saying he was trying to sleep around is an insult to the man and his family. IIRC, it was rumored all season that Bill was leaning towards retirement.

This is in reference to Cowhers wife, Kaye:

She was the driving force behind her husband's retirement in 2007, pressing him to move with her and their youngest daughter to North Carolina, help with the commute to basketball games, reunite the nuclear family before their final daughter left the nest. Lindsay last winter completed her freshman season at Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C., where she played sparsely in 14 games.

If he was pushed out, he would have had a new coaching gig before the sunrise. He wanted to retire, it's why he has never coached again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Problem is both coaches have extreme talent however one regularly makes the SB and the other rarely wins 1 playoff game. Comparing BB to Mike Tomlin is beyond an insult to coaching everywhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ok, Tomlim falls short compared to Bellichek. Name me the long list of other coaches that have a better track record than Tomlin. Be specific.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's the problem. When you're talking about records yeah there's not many. But when it comes to coaching decisions and adjustments, he's pretty bad.

5. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    H
    Can’t compare coaches that way because each team doesn’t have the same talent level. The Steelers make the playoffs in spite of Mike Tomlin not because of him.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

All of the press conference video's cut off as soon as Bill stops talking at the podium so they don't show him turning to Colbert and saying "This didn't have to end like this." But I'll keep looking because that is what he said.

If Bill wanted to spend more time with family then why did he start doing the NFL Today Show in February of 2007? I know the show is only on Sunday's but if you're a millionaire and set for life and you really just want to spend more time with family and you have missed out on the last 15 years of Sunday's with them why would you then take a job where you probably have to fly in on Saturday and fly home late Sunday night so you miss almost the entire weekend with your family?

There is no way the team is going to reveal that they thought he was looking to hook up with women. There wouldn't be any way to prove that unless you had some kind of video of him trying to get a woman to go home with him and back then there weren't the cell phone camera's like everyone has now. But, if he really was doing that it was only a matter of time before a media person caught him and that would be an embarrassment to the team that the Rooney's would not be okay with.

Pushed/convinced/encouraged to retire, whatever word you want to use is fine. I don't think the team threatened to reveal anything, they probably just said they wanted to make a change and he could retire or be fired and he chose to retire.

He never took another head coaching job because he is an analyst and only has to work one day a week.

7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Not relative to other coaches.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is nonsense. The presser video cut off? You got any other evidence to support these specious claim other than your own recollection?

Cowher left, I think, because he was burned out, he'd been a HC for 15 yrs and had won his title and had enough. The Steelers would have been happy to keep him, but he wasn't interested. I think his plan was to sit out a few yrs and come back. But, he found he could make decent money at a fraction of the effort on TV, he found out he was good at it, and he enjoyed his life. May it turn out as well for all of us.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin ain't going anywhere.

Whoever said Cowher was a bar hopper and spewing idiotic comments after the press conference is a complete troll. Do yourself a favor and educate the subject before bringing the hate over the well known family matters that he was dealing with.

Noll was a treasure that simply the talent ran out which could buy into his philosophy.

All 3 of these guys are better than most anyone else that would would have produced during their tenure and to think otherwise is simply denying reality.

Mike maybe on a short leash but he only gets shown the exit if they miss the playoffs and that just isn't happening. If it does then he should be gone but with the overall choices for replacements he will be given one more season.

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I admit I love Tomlim...........That Tomlin at times can drive me crazy though.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I get this. Tomlin's terrible at challenges. He doesn't live in his fears, except when he does - overly aggressive on 4th down and 2pt conv at times, turtles other times. Clock management? Drives ya nuts.

But he never loses a team. His players play hard for him. They seem to buy his msg, when fans don't. Doesn't have losing season, almost always makes the playoffs.

He ain't perfect. But someday this team will screw up and hire the wrong HC for once in a century. And then the Yinzers will reeeealy have something to gripe about.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlins success from 2007-2010 was based on cowhers talent.

2011-now is all him lol

I’ll stick by that

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    So, you guys love Cowher who lost 1 super bowl and only won 1 super bowl in 15 years but you hate Tomlin who lost 1 super bowl and won 1 super bowl in 11 years?

Makes no sense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If Tomlin only won with Cowher's players.... how did good ol' Bill not win with them...i really wish you Tomlin haters would STFU!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Good ol bill did not have good ol Ben. Just sayin lol

Neil o donnel anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Ben was the QB for Cowher in 2006 when we went 8-8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah after they had just went to an championship and won a Super Bowl the previous 2 years lol

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That answers your own question.

I'm not going to get into the tabloid stuff, its nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I was six years old and it would be another two years before I knew who "Mean" Joe Greene was.

20. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Okay, so Cowher, who put us through years of Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak, but even so he is worshipped by some of you and Tomlin is hated even though Cowher's win percentage is .623 and Tomlin's is .660 and they both have the same super bowl record???

Makes.

No.

Sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It hasn't been a long time, but I have asked for specific replacements for the inadequate Mike Tomlin (Bellichek excluded) and have had no responses beyond repeat complaints of Mikey's deficiencies,

Ok, MT stinks. And your replacement for him is who? Specifics required.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin is good it’s just talent wasted. Or maybe Ben just sucks ass lol

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    How familiar were you with Tomlin before the Steelers hired him?
    I honestly hadn't even heard of him until the press conference announcing his hiring.

24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Youpoint? I dislike Tomlin, so any dope I never heard of that they want to hire is ok?

An old boss I had would say: people who think things can't get any worse, lack imagination.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Was Tomlin your old boss? That sounds like something he'd say.

• Like Like x 2