1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Landry Jones Not Playing in next Preseason game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I would be shocked if LJ's job is in play this year. I know some here have speculated, but I do not see how. I hope Rudolph plays well and beats out Dobbs because IMO, Dobbs has little to no potential upside from where he is now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The script is clear: LJ's job is as safe as Big Ben's job. And actually Mason's job is a lock too. The battle for the 3rd spot is for show ...Dobbs best hope is to benefit from injury or a practice squad spot

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's also that they know what they have in Jones at this point. I don't think the second preseason game will show them anything new, and this one seems to be used by the Steelers as an evaluation game.

My guess is they want to see how Dobbs and Rudolph do against 1st and 2nd string rather than 3rd and 4th.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I interpreted it as Jones is solidified. Tomlin never gives much information. Speaks in generalities and round abouts ways.

So our threads should become "does Josh Dobbs clear waivers for the practice squad." Interesting there's such a varied opinion on him. Overall I think he played well albeit a couple out routes and his ill-advised throw across the field that was picked. To his defense on that one, the receiver could have come back to the ball. 9/10 times throwing across the field results in a pick though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm sure other teams will be knocking the practice squad doors down for Dobbs...

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I said Mason would take Landry's spot but looks like I'm wrong lol. Landry is way better than Mason right now. Mason needs a lot of work but does show flashes of Ben in between his flashes of landry lol.

I am excited Ben got insecure, lost weight and hopefully is on fire this season. I can patiently wait for the next hunk to come up.

MasonHotness. Rudolphotness. MasonRudolphHotness.

nah just doesn't work.

side note: yes I'm married, and no I don't mind showing my bromance love for a steeler.

extra side note: TJ watt is sexy though

extra extra side note: yes I'm straight but none of you can deny that

extra extra extra side note: imagine if Glenn never removed me from existence? He would probably beg that I got banned from this comment alone lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Absolutely! Anyone who thought Jones' backup job was being contested is smoking loco weed and is just harboring a grudge against Jones. You have it completely right!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I said Mason would take Landry's spot but looks like I'm wrong lol.
    At least you admit it!

I am excited Ben got insecure, lost weight and hopefully is on fire this season. I can patiently wait for the next hunk to come up.
    Amen, amen, AMEN!

MasonHotness. Rudolphotness. MasonRudolphHotness.
    nah just doesn't work.
    MR.Hotness works!!!

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    MR hotness how can I not think of that haha

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would they need to see anymore of LJ at this point? You don't think they know what have have after 5 years?

To me it means they want to see if they feel comfortable with Dobbs taking over. I really dont think it is between Mason and Dobbs, I cant see them cutting Mason unless he had a horrendous camp and thats not the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Personally I think they are showcasing Dobbs. He looked good in week 1. Maybe he plays well with the starters and somebody gives up a 6 or 7 for him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Things could be worse, we could be stuck with mike glennon for a backup with a 2 year 8M contract with the cards, this after he failed with the bears after having a 1-3 start so they started trubiski, after signing him to a 45M contract they still had to pay him an 18M guarantee when they released him, LJs team friendly 2 year 4 M contract is pretty much bargain basement for starting backups around the league....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I didn't see anything about L Jones starting week 1 in that article.

''All told, that gives Roethlisberger 26 days until the season-opener against the Cleveland Browns. Given the typical recovery time associated with concussions, that gives Roethlisberger enough rest to be ready for that week of preparation without being risked in a meaningless preseason game.''

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd sign Mike Glennon just so he couldn't start for a crappy team and beat us. That's happened TWICE by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Glennon = Brady vs. Steelers

Only difference is, Brady lost twice to Steelers. Glennon > Brady

Glennon is undefeated vs. Steelers. :facepalm:

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There - fixed it for ya CK. Don't want other's thinking you're out of your gourd. ;)

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Landry not starting this week against Green Bay? You know in baseball when they pull someone it usually means they're lining up a trade deal and need to protect their trading asset until the deal is consummated. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Interesting thought. :hmm:

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not surprised.

Landry is not going to be here next season. For that matter, five years is plenty of time to figure out what you have in a player; a Quarterback especially.

Regarding Mojave's statement, I also would not be shocked to see if all options are being considered.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Or ...with Ben being injured, they don't want to risk the back up getting injured too. Maybe Ben wont be ready for week 1 so they have to protect this bum

• Like Like x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I begrudgingly agree with the majority in saying that LJ is safe. If we can get Dobbs to the PS it's the best of both worlds moving forward. Another factor in this that hasn't been brought up is the fact that they also might want to keep LJ around to mentor MR because remember what Ben said....