1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Landon Collins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Mar 11, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's probably too expensive, especially if they decide to give Minkah a new deal this year.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Though not good enough...Jarvis Jones last season was his best.....Yet still not good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Next time, try reading posts more carefully before responding to them. I never claimed that Edmunds was better overall. Collins is an impact player against the run. Edmunds is not.

That said, Collins really sucks in coverage. He may actually be worse than Edmunds, which is saying something. I watched the guy plenty when he was with the Giants and some since then. I've also heard and read that from others.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Can’t argue with that, still if cheap I would sign him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If his stock has really dropped...Why would you want him?

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He's a nice piece to have for a low cost.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The main reason to move on from Edmunds was his poor work in pass coverage. I doubt Collins will be cheaper than Edmunds. Collins might help some against the run, but he is every bit as bad in coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Both Terrell Edmunds and Landon Collins are box level safeties more or less. That said, two major reasons I would sign Terrell over Landon is Terrell's increased performance along with his age. Sure, Terrell is not the coverage savant that say, Jordan Poyer of the Buffalo Bills is. However, having only a 56.6% completion percentage against is much better than the 70.5% percentage that Collins has; both stats courtesy of ProFootballReference. What is more is not so much the percentage values themselves but other factors such as the YRAC (Yards Receiving Allowed per Completion), Rating allowed when targeted and most importantly, Touchdowns given up (sadly, no metric here as to the percentage allowed on third downs, fourth downs or in the redzone here).

For Terrell:

YRAC: 7.5

Rating: 63.7%

Touchdowns: 2

For Landon:

YRAC: 11.8

Rating: 70.5%

Touchdowns: 8

Now, looking at these numbers at face value can be very controversial to say the least. While these figures are per the player, other factors go into determining such values as well; the teams overall pass rush, their personnel groupings, that particular players responsibilities within their respective defenses, etc. So, while the numbers presented here are indicative of each players overall individual efforts, try not to get too caught up in those alone. That said though, what is important to understand here is how each player is used.

Terrell is often thought of as merely a box safety. Now, he is better served for it but, in comparison to Landon Collins, Edmunds possess superior coverage capabilities. For Pittsburgh's Defense, safeties have to be able to do... literally everything possible and imaginable; their only limitation is whatever their primary role is assigned to them on a particular play or formation. For Terrell, this is often either run support to TE Coverage or overall slot duty if the Offensive Formation determines that value. In short, this is where Edmunds shines; being able to fill a number of roles in any given situation.

By comparison, Landon Collins has been a box safety purely ever since leaving Alabama. In all honesty, that is where is biggest strength's fit into play here. Again, per ProFootballReference, Landon has been predominantly a Strong Safety. Now, Terrell has been as well. However, while Terrell is more than flexible in handling coverage responsibilities, Landon sadly cannot say the same. He is a true eighth man in the box whose primary capability lies with his run support. He can perform coverage though not at the same level.

Overall, comparing the two, I would take Terrell over Landon. Terrell offers more versatility and flexibility for the Steelers Defense; aspects Collins simply does not. However, do not let any of this fool you as my personal favorite Safety options for the Steelers to nab does not exist within FA but the draft.

If it were up to me, either Lewis Cine, Jalen Pitre or even Nick Cross from Maryland would be my personal choices; doubly so in Pitre's case. Pitre may be small but beyond that, he is every bit as versatile as others in the class. If not him, Nick Cross would be the next option.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Absolutely. But he is going to command some big coin.

We need better then alright.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My condensed response is:
    1. I agree that Edmunds is a better option vs. the pass than Collins (which isn’t saying much).
    2. I’d rather pay mid-tier free agents to plug other holes than pay Edmunds, and thus be able to obtain a strong/box safety in the draft.
    3. While I agree that Edmunds is OK in run defense, and perhaps a bit better than OK matching up with TEs or RBs in pass coverage, he’s an absolute disaster when responsible for deep zones. He shows almost no feel for route combinations and how the offense could be reading him or setting him up. We have used him in that role often enough for me to prefer to move on and find someone who has a better feel for the game.
    4. My caveat is that this year I have not been able to spend much time watching safeties, but it seems to be a deep draft class for versatile safeties from everything I’ve read, and the crop of safeties at the combine looked smoother, more confident and more athletic than I’ve ever seen in a safety class at the combine (for whatever little that’s worth).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pass on Collins, he doesn't offer much in coverage.

12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    To add to that, I was looking through OverTheCap.

For each player, they have a Valuation, which they plot versus APY.
    (For both, the scale goes from vet min to the highest paid safety.)
    Terrell: $7.5M valuation, $2.7M APY
    Landon: $1.1M valuation, $13M APY (injury adjusted)

Unfortunately, I couldn't find how they arrived at those valuation numbers.
    But if they are anywhere close to accurate, Terrell was paid average and played above average. (Staying healthy probably helped.) Collins had the double-whammy of playing below average and being one of the top paid safeties.

Terrell has never come close to Landon's 2016 season.
    But Landon in recent years hasn't come close to his 2016 season either.
    Add to that 13 games missed over the last 2 seasons and still likely to cost more than Edmunds, and it seems doubtful that Collins is the better value.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And what is your point

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Collins may not get a big contract this off-season. He may have to sign a 1 year deal a few weeks into free agency to secure a home for next season.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on points 3 and 4. Sadly, point 2 has its own share of issues regarding a safety that can cover the Deep Half or even Deep Middle if need be. Outside of Jordan Whitehead and Tyrann Mathieu, the rest of the class is mainly Free Safety by trade. Run Defense for many of them is not their strongest suit.... sans well Marcus Maye.. and he has an injury currently to deal with. Personally speaking and, as I said, I will not be surprised if Terrell Edmunds does return and, if anything, I do not believe the Steelers will keep Terrell long term anyways; likely a two to even three year deal with a void option included.

Now and, most importantly, regarding point 4, this class does have far more versatile safeties than in years past. However, how that player's versatility was used will play a big role in where exactly they fit scheme wise. The Steelers FO has already given some subtle hints about what they desire in their next safety to pair with Minkah; Lewis Cine, Daxton Hill, Bryan Cook and Nick Cross all being the ones the team has met formally. JaQuan Brisker has met the team informally as well, Vernon McKinney III the same. Given how little time you had to watch some of these players, allow me to summarize what each can bring to the table for not just Minkah but the Steelers as a whole.

Lewis Cine: Basically what Terrell is now but more developed overall coming out. Has more range than Terrell does in Deep Zone Coverage but both have similar Ball Skills. More Run Defense and more impact in the run game where the team would need it most. That said, like Terrell, this guy is not a ball hawk.

Daxton Hill: Single High Safety who can play in the Slot but also SS if needed. Moving him to Outside Corner is also not out of the question as he has some experience there as well along with his natural gifts the same. He would allow more interchangeability than Terrell ever would and, despite being less than 200lbs, is not afraid to stick his nose in the pile; often seeking contact at the ball carrier more so than avoiding it. Long story short, Daxton Hill is.. more or less what Minkah was coming out; more speed and versatility than Minkah but not the same level of instincts.

Bryan Cook: Very, very vocal leader; both on field and in communication. Also, one of the best overall tacklers not just among safeties but among defensive backs. There is upside here; a very good early day 3 option and possibly the best one that will be available by that point for the team. He will not be ready out of the gate but his abilities on Special Teams will serve him well. Now, how will he help Minkah??.... he will be biding his time as he has not played very much outside of his Senior Season. This all said though, his ball skills are more developed than when Terrell came out; something he can definitely grow on.

Nick Cross: Much like Cook although far more athletic and advanced in ball skills. Not too much else to add here. I will say that his overall inconsistencies can get him in trouble from time to time but his overall natural talent to play any DB spot is worth banking on for certain. Having him sit like Cook while he learns the game will be invaluable but unlike Cook, Cross can be deployed more early; namely as the STAR role on Defense. This permits Minkah to play his own Deep Zone more freely and allows Austin to use Terrell in other areas; having him deep even though I shudder at the though.

More Safeties the Steelers will meet during the 2022 Pro Day Circuit I am certain but these four do help the team in one way or another while not suffering from as huge a drop off should Terrell elect to leave. Now, should Terrell leave, it is likely that the team will opt for a cost efficient vet anyway and then likely draft a Safety early soon thereafter for I do not believe the team to be signing said Safety to an extended deal... sans Jordan Whitehead of course.

• Like Like x 1