1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of Key Skilled Players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Oct 23, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

The following thoughts are primarily what really lead me to finally join the board. Folks, we are really hurting at the key skilled positions on offense. Yeah I know, what am I saying that everyone does not already know. During the circus show that eventually lead to the moving on of Brown and Bell (B & B) I read quite a few posts here as well as other opinions from other sources. What really fired me up but did not surprise me, was how many fans thought that their services were going to be so easily replaced with JuJu and Connor. That the transition would be seamless…. Wrong!

JuJu and Connor were the beneficiaries of Brown and Bell in so many ways. While on the flip side B & B were the beneficiaries of the supporting cast that surrounded them in Pittsburgh. It was a two-way street. I, like many others I am pretty sure, knew that there would be a drop off in those positions once B & B left. However, the gist of this post is for those who were so adamant that the drop-off was unimaginable.

On the other, what do B & B have to show for their antics now? Once again, it is a two-way street. However, they had to go because of their nasty and spiteful dispositions. It is unfortunate. MAN, THEY HAD IT MADE HERE. They are probably two of the best players in the history of the NFL at their positions. Now mix in Ben’s injury and we are hurting even more.

Some will argue that we have no rings to show for B & B’s services and yes this is true. However, we were so much more competitive with them here. Too bad they just lost, or maybe never believed in the concept of team. I’ve seen this movie many times before as a coach. There will probably be other
    B & B’s again down the road but for now it really is a tough show to watch. STEELWINDS

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You really have a funny way of making friends around here ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Sorry, not following SteelDeal. Did I just stir the pot with a B & B revival?

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    I think Glenn filled me in SteelDeal I will try to be more aware of repeat topics in the future. STEELWINDS

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    lil’ bit:smiley1:

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah not worried about repeats. It’s all good ,just poking some fun

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    If I'm not mistaken, when posting anything here, isn't the "Hey Everyone" implied? This is of course not to be confused with the unwritten "Hey, look at me!" posts that are the trademarks of some. Just having some fun on a boring football mid-season mid-week. I'll retreat to my Mojave Desert bunker again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Where have you been Benny?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is not much different that people clamoring for Munch back because our running game and O line play has been lousy. If the Coach is the only difference, then why has Denver's O line sucked? I agree we need more skilled players, but how many guys like AB, Ben, and LB does a team get at once (along with the line, and good supporting cast)? Not often. Conner had a good year last year. No way the talent of LB, but serviceable with the right scheme. Ju Ju has disappeared this year, lack of talent? I doubt that. Losing Ben, O line struggles, and change of scheme because of youth at QB position has played a role. Having inexperienced and ineffectual wr's beside him has not helped. Do I believe Conner will ever be elite, no. Do I believe Ju Ju has the capacity to be a consistent top 10, yes. So much goes into this, and if/when this team reached the point of actually being out of the p/o race, I hope they realize then is the time to experiment and develop these guys.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like the Steeler roster, I think a lot of people are selling the Steelers short.

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Naw I am sure the message board police will step in.....................

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Depth is an issue at certain positions. That's the issue.

And how are both Brown and Bell doing now? Brown out of the NFL and Bell is struggling. Things change and I personally are glad both are gone.

Did JuJu benefit with Brown here? Of course. Did Connor benefit with Bell being here? No.

Time to move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah I think minus the big injuries this Steeler team would be right there with the Ravens.

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely true of JuJu, and I've posted about that several times, but Conners had a great year while LB sat/held out. His success, IMO, had more to do with a better line than anything to do with LB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Conner benefitted from Brown last year as teams had to double him and couldn’t stack the box the way they have this season. It gave him space to operate.

The lack of a credible and consistent deep threat is killing the offence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Juju helped Brown as much as Brown helped juju. Juju doesn't have that number 2 help. That is part of the problem. I have touched on this before about everyone's thoughts that Colbert had this Midas touch with wrs. We don't have a juju to help juju. Switz, DJ, washington, holton are not even at an Eli level let alone a juju as a number 2 level. DJ and Washington have to step up their game for juju to be effective. Very simple. We simply need a run every type of route number two more then worrying about our number one.:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Switz, JW, DJ have the same problem Juju has he don't have a top 5 QB throwing to him like last year. I will not believe JW and DJ are not #2 type wr's until they get a fair shake. The first game JW wasn't even the starter when Ben was in. Maybe with some time Mason will be good and turn intro a good QB which I think he will but time is needed for that to happen before people say Juju isn't a 1 or JW/DJ isn't a 2. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m wondering if this would be a topic if we were 5-1........

We are just a few plays away from being 5-1...... should have beat 49ers and Ravens!!

Connor is good enough to win with and so is Mason And juju....... it’s more about coaching and play calling and preparations and game planning than player personnel for this team.......

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    AB was a bonafide #1 WR.... he commanded double coverage which helped all others..... Juju is not a # 1 until he proves he is a number one.... but he did prove he was a Great #2!!!

Even with that said If the coaches will coach and Fitchner grows a pair and starts letting his players play Juju and JW and Holton and DJ and Connors and Samuels and Snell and Vance and Co. can score enough on anyone to win.........

What would Mike Shanahan do with this roster???

Cajun

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    With them ??? We had them beat and lost it at the very end!!!

Cajun

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Of course we are not going to be as good without a franchise an and the best receiver in the league. Duh. Plenty of teams are making it work though. Ravens, saints, colts. Jackson is only a 2nd year player. He didn't start every game last year. Mayfield has 2 very good wrs and rbs, yet can't do much. TEs, to help this team have been non-existent. I think that is a huge part of our demise so far but since it has improved we are running better. We need a number two wr to step up and take some pressure off of juju and our qb. Health has been a huge factor in this teams down turn this year. That cannot be coached away. I still say losing drake and being Sherman has hurt us more then we know.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with this besides our record coming down to a few plays. If the other things you mentioned were improved upon it wouldn’t always have to come down to one mistake. IMO