1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kirk Cousins is a FA

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by StillHERNation, Feb 9, 2017.

1. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Why not grab him?

Ben wont last more than 3yrs tops. He's been injured 10 out of 13yrs.

Why not sign him to a 2yr deal for less than that $19mill Redskins are paying him?

He could get a ring and starter position right when Ben retires.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Are you serious? He isnt going anywhere to be a backup, if he has a problen getting a deal done with the skins the forty niners want him for their starter, but I'm betting he stays with the skins.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Name a QB that doesnt want the possibility to get a ring, a future long term starting position and the chance to play with AB and Bell?

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He doesnt care about that untill he gets a long term 100 mill contract, and I'm not sure we will win another superbowl in the next 3 years anyway, not even sure Ben will even be here in 3 years, it's all about security for cousins future and we arent going to sign him up for some chicken feed backup pay, so just forget about cousins ever coming here to be a backup this year....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Redskins can franchise him again this year if they want to. Like the Steelers have 19 million to give to a backup QB :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    lol. are you serious? you really think a guy who has started in this league is gonna take less money to be a backup for 3 years?lol who knows that brown and bell will even be here when he gets a chance to start? you obviously don't know how this league works. unless you have an example of a guy who has done this in his prime and when he is looking for his biggest contract?

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Kirk Cousins.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every starting QB in the league

9. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    A backup who will start immediately after Ben retires. And I didnt say give him 19mill. The league minimum for a backup is like half that. But id give him 12 because of Ben's injury history. Not only that.. he'd takeover in a couple years. Kirk is one of the most accurate QBS in the NFL.. top 3.

10. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Tons of QBs took a paycut to play backup to get rings.

If Romo doesnt leave Dallas.. he will. Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Sam Bradford in Philly, but their team wasnt good enough. Other players as well.. Deangelo, Chad Johnson.

Sign him forva couple years at less and make him earn it in a couple years.

Didnt we take Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwhich and Charlie Batch? All starters.. 2 pro bowlers.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And every one of those QB's were on the wrong side of their career when they did sign to be a back up. If you think Cousins is going to take less money to come to a team as a back up all cause he has a "chance" at a ring at this time when he is a young good QB your nuts! He is 28 years old played under his rookie contract and last year got Franchised to the tune of 19.9 mil. He like any other smart person will look for the money and for the record if he wanted to take less money for a ring wouldn't he just sign with Denver where he would have just as good if not better chance and still be a starter????

To even think we could bring him here #1 at a lower price and #2 to be a back up is just dumb. He won't take less money and in case you haven't noticed we don't have the extra cap space for a highly paid backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody you named were owe their biggest contract. They had already made their big payday. That's a huge difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cousins agent will shoot him in the face before he lets him take 12 million to be a BU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Cousins will shoot his agent in the face if his agent even proposes that he consider becoming a backup.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cousins would go be a starter for the Toronto Argos before he would ever willingly commit to be a backup for at least 2-3 years.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Starting QBs in their prime have egos, Cousins isn't going to be a backup to Ben dude get real.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that he's accurate. I remember hearing those Giant corners remark about his accuracy in that game where the Skins were knocked out of playoff contention. The quote was something like "He threw it right to me! Twice!" Or something like that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Phillip Rivers

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Only way we entertain getting Cousins is if Ben retires

20. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    If we were going to do something in free agency to get Roethlisberger's replacement, I think our best bet will be in 2018 with Matthew Stafford. He's going to be 30 years old, has already gotten his big payday, and will be ready to pursue a championship with a team that is in position to help him get it!

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    In addition, supposedly Stafford wants $25 million per season. He's going to need to dig deep in his heart and ask himself if he wants that kind of money, or wants to win championships.

Very few teams with salaries like that win championships because they can't put the other pieces in place to contend. I highly doubt Pittsburgh would ever pay someone that kind of money in free agency...

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but we aren't far off now, Bens Avg/Year is 21.8 mil. When you look at all the highest QB's they are at least getting there, look at this list as far as Avg per Year:

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Luck hasn't been there but the next ones all have and/or won....Brees, Flacco(paid after win), Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, Palmer, Manning, Rivers (the exception), Newton, Ryan and Brady are all avg 20 plus a year. I do get what your saying and you are pretty much right look at Cutler and Asswipper......

23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    If they have every other piece in place, I'd be fine with them paying Stafford that. But they have to make sure they have the other pieces in place. IE: dominating edge rushers and CB's who can shut down BS like what the Patriots do.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but look at what we are paying Ben it is close and we have had holes. The key imo is the draft. When you can hit it like we did last year and have guys like Bell playing on a rookie contract that is big. We got starters making little money and that is cause we have drafted well the last few years Shazier for example. Add in guys like AV and Cockrell and that is how you can afford a high $ QB.......and of course continue to draft well........

25. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think as long as Ben has Bell, AB and his oline he has now hes gonna stick around. people are talking about him like hes washed up. his numbers where pretty decent last year. he had some off games, but look at his wrs. aside from AB he was throwing to a bunch of kids. rookies, 2nd and 3rd year guys with very little playing time. they had no chemistry and they werent on the same page most of the time.

i think this season will tell us alot. i think the offense is gonna look like what people thought they were gonna look like last year. close to 30 points a game. guys like Rogers, Hamilton, Coats, James and Ayers i think all took big steps last season. you throw Bryant back in the mix and an AB thats gonna want to prove some stuff and i think the passing game is gonna be one of the best.

the Steelers will be a contender again and if things break right they will be right back in the AFCCG next year. i dont think Ben walks away from a team that is that close. especially if he feels the FO and coaches are doing everything they can to put a winning team on the field.

so i guess what im saying is theres no way Cousins signs with the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1