1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kirk Cousins 2018..or even Brees

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I agree with your premise except if a QB falls to them in the 1st round that they like, they will draft him or even trade up a few spots in the 1st round if a QB they like is close to where they pick....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I think if it came down to that they would let the QB’s battle it out to see who has the “Hot hand.”
    Camp and preseason would determine who would start.

3. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Someone remind me what our QB position was like when we moved up in the draft to #11 to take Big Ben? Had we been searching, did someone retire, no back-ups that were worth it?

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Tommy Maddox. Solid starter. We didn't trade up for Ben, we just sucked in 2003 and lucked into him. Playoffs in 2002 (won 1, lost 1). But outside his first game in 2004, once Ben stepped in for him he wasn't worth a crap as a back-up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    tough to compare those two timeframes with different GMs, HCs etc. I would be extremely surprised if they don't take a QB with their first rounder. I think they would take one in the first even if Ben says he's coming back. (which I don't think he is)

6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you. I was thinking about Cousins before the season started. He obviously doesn't want to stay in Washington. He has only been signing one year contracts. If he had the right line and supporting cast around him, he could really be something special. I could see him in a Steeler uniform.

Another option in which I know everyone will say I am totally nuts is Blake Bortles. He may still be starting for the Jags, but I think he is in the wrong system. He had a good rookie season and even beat us. He had a down year, and it sounds like the Jags are ready to give up on him. I think he may be in the wrong system. Even Ben has acknowledged him as a "Young me." He may be worth a shot if he is available.

7. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Josh McCown would be a good back up option too. He could mentor Bortles or whoever else