1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiper's Final Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by rmorphy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    This guy had always said the Steelers will take Hightower. Now, on his final mock he says the Steelers will take Poe, while Hightower goes to the Ravens. I would much rather have Hightower because 1) better player than Poe and 2) Wouldn't want another Ray Lewis for 10 years.

What do you think?

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be happy with this. I really like Hightower but he's not even close to Ray Lewis.

I think at best Poe could be Haloti Ngata, I think at worst he's still a guy that can occupy space and free up our pass rushers.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we draft Poe, my head will absolutely, freaking explode. Let's put it simply - Poe is a phenomenon that was created by the media because of his combine performance. If you watch complete Memphis games from last year, you will see a player whose on field performance is nowhere near the measurables. Not even in the same ballpark. I watched a game recently - I think it was against a juggernaut like Arkansas State - and by the time the 2nd quarter rolled around, he was getting completely owned by guys who will never even sniff an NFL training camp. Yes, he was disruptive upon occasion, but only upon occasion. For most of the game, he was taken out - more than 1/2 the time by one blocker. The opponent had 2 TD runs right through his gap, and he was driven well away from the play on both runs. When he was effective, it was on the outside. Memphis played a hybrid 4-3/3-4 front, and when they went 3-4, he lined up off tackle - not at the nose. He looked a lot better out there because he was able to get better leverage against the tackles than he did against the shorter interior guys. Still, he did not dominate the way a conference USA player needs to dominate to be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick - never mind a 1st rounder.

Does he have potential upside? Yep, the measurables say he does. However, past NFL drafts are absolutely littered with high upside players who never panned out at the NFL level. You can find them in just about any draft. Matt Jones? Vern Gholston? Jarron Gilbert jumping out of a swimming pool? The list goes on.

4. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mel Kiper's Mock Draft

I don't put much stock into mock drafts, I just think they're fun to read and analyze. I just saw Mel Kiper's and his pick for us...

... Dontari Poe.

Really? I don't see us taking a guy who really didn't show much on the field, and was a workout warrior at the combine.

5. HinesCrackback

HinesCrackback Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft

Don't know where I seen it, maybe it was a recent SI but rumor is the Ravens are are going to jump a spot ahead of us to grab Hightower out of Alabama. He's supposedly the next Ray Ray. I know McShay has us taking Donta.....I would be bumming big time if this happens. Fills a need for us to....

Poe not sure about...how we can draft more d-line help with all the other holes is beyond me.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft

Poe could be a beast in the middle making our lbers better. Think about ngata a guy who has the speed to not come out in passing downs. Im happy either way because they are both deep in the draft so either way we are good.

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I loved Poe when I had him in my mock going in the 3rd round....I like him if they choose him in the first..

My 3 guys Hightower, Poe, and Stephen Hill....if we walked away with any two of them I might cry.

HACK

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Between all the experts on TV I think Mayock is the best evaluator of talent. I think Kiper has kind of lost whatever it was he had. Maybe it is the fumes from his hair gel that got to him?

Plus Kiper is from Baltimore and is a total homer, so of course he wants to give his team the heir apparent to Ray Lewis.

I currently live in Bmore and the Ravens fans want Hightower and Hill for their teams as well.

I like Hightower, but I'm kind of on the fence with him, some people think his value is later in round one, not where we pick. If both teams want Hightower however, Steelers will need to be careful because Ravens may try to jump them.

I too am concerned about the workout warriors. Poe was one, and to an extent Cordy Glenn was as well, but at least Glenn has some strong game tape.

I just think back to Woodley in the draft, people really wrote him off as too slow and too short to play OLB, including me, even though the dude was nothing but a gamer at Michigan. What a huge steal he was... or maybe I should say the dude was way over looked because we didn't score well in shorts.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If A) You respect Mike Mayock but B) Are on the fence about Hightower because some have him as a lesser talent... You will be tickled pink that Mayock has Hightower as his 15th best prospect. Believe my friend.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I always think it's funny when Kiper & Mayock start seeing guys slide down the draft board. Live TV watching these guys process information that they "know" and trying to figure out why they are wrong is priceless.

These professional "mock drafters" are just that, media guys with a team that helps them guess what true NFL evaluators are going to do.

Personally, I'd hate to use a 1st round pick on a NT that might be holding Hampton's jock for his first year. Sorry Memphis didn't play anyone even close to NFL caliber, Poe is going to sit for at least a year on our roster.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Does anyone have an idea of what time (appx.) we will be picking? I work nites and may be able make it home in time,thanks. Just for the record I hope we take Hightower, usually we base our selections on " what the player puts on tape" so if thats the case Poe hasn't shown enough to be our pick at 24. Happy Draft Day to the Steeler Nation.