1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kicker????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelmac5, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Steelmac5

Steelmac5 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The only thing they forgot was that we needed a fresh young kicker.

Mike

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Meh, just pick a few guys up from the nearest bus stop on the way to first practice. You'll probably find one there.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I would think there should be a UFA that could at least push Suisham. From what I had heard, the crop of kickers wasn't very special this year. Though I do not like Suisham and think he is average at best, I can't see the point in drafting someone just as average. I'd like an upgrade, not a lateral move.

4. mongoose

mongoose Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With the Rams just releasing Josh Brown, I think the Steelers need to look at him. His contract might be an issue however. I know he is in his early 30's, but he has servicable years left.

5. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Thats what they have been doing

6. noitall0605

Dec 1, 2011

agreed, you get what you pay for

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True enough. I'm not sure the FO would invest in a "big name" kicker though. If our offense had less weapons, and we were primarily reliant on our defense, then maybe. But for now, see who turns up to practice. Maybe Swayze makes a comeback.

8. jrc

jrc Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Here's the list of UFAs. Included a punter and kicker.

The 12 undrafted rookies include punter Drew Butler (Georgia), cornerback Terry Carter (La. Tech), wide receiver Connor Dixon (Duquesne), safety Robert Golden (Arizona), defensive end Ikponmwosa Igbinosun (Southern Connecticut State), center/guard Ryan Lee (Furman), linebacker Brandon Lindsey (Pitt), wide receiver Marquis Maze (Alabama), kicker Grant Ressel (Missouri), linebacker Adrian Robinson (Temple), offensive tackle Desmond Stapleton (Rutgers) and defensive end Jake Stoller (Yale).

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I was hoping they'd draft that K Bullock...but he went in the late 5th I think to Houston. He was like the most accurate college kicker last year or something. But oh well...maybe they can still find someone whos cut or something. I am not comfortable with Suisham....

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There's this guy named Jeff Reed that the Niners released last year... ;-)

11. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I heard he's a real calm, classy dude.

12. noitall0605

Dec 1, 2011
    If Steelers had a good kicker, with remaining time on clock in 4th Q of playoff game at Denver 45, does Ben take a sack or are the play called more conservative?

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think Josh Brown = Suisham. I'd rather keep the known commodity even if he is just average. Our best strategy for a kicker should be to score more TD's and have a more productive scoring offense and we don't have to worry about a kicker.

14. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    We should've kept Waters last year. He could've been our punter and our kicker and freed up a roster spot.

15. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Josh Brown was just 8 for 14 from 40+ yards last year and that was playing mostly indoors. Not exactly an upgrade from Suisham. He probably isn't the greatest outdoor kicker even when you take his Seattle years into account. We all know Heinz Field isn't the easiest place to kick, the open end is probably harder to kick in than Century Link Field in Seattle. Probably better options out there.