1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan's black eye. Give me DJ as WR #1, and being on the clock at #20 with all CBs still available.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Aug 30, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes you think ARii will step down in 3 years

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

THIS!

i think 50% of the time, his head was screwed on backwards.

please MODS, end this senseless, rehashed ad nauseam since the spring, thread :puking 3:

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet you bumped it :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickens has a history going back to college. Not to mention Pickens is a grown ass man and can make his own decisions. Both guys have been a problem at various points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is getting old. His Father turned over the Team Presidency in 2003. Dan Rooney was still the majority owner until he passed away. I believe Art II will retain being the majority owner.

His son is waiting in the wings. I believe Art II will step down when Tomlins contract ends turning over the Team Presidency to his son.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/p...-more-and-more-visible-in-recent-years-batko/

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is not true. There were issues during his rookie season, too. There were times he would come to the line and stand straight up rather than get in a stance, likely on plays designed for the ball to go elsewhere. I saw one image of him lining up for a play holding a glove in each hand. There was also talk of a poor attitude in college. Maybe Johnson made things worse, but Pickens showed knucklehead tendencies all along.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody is putting him on a level with Adams, Lamb, or Diggs, but he had a skill set the other receivers on the team lack. He is very good at getting open, which is still a weak spot for Pickens. Johnson isn't great, but he is a much better option than what the Steelers currently have other than Pickens.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is a symbiotic relationship. Each helps the other. The poor wide receiver room is a problem, one that is going to make things much more difficult for Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the NEVER ENDING contract.....

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds reasonable

Here it’s your mess you figure it out

12. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The DJ trade never made sense from a football perspective.

I think the org felt he had a bad attitude and likely wasn't going to help Pickens, who already had his own attitude issues.

This team would be better with a solid number 2 - which is what Johnson is. Aiyuk never made a ton of sense to me. The Steelers likely would have wound up with two receivers making 28+, which is hard to make work.

I think the success or failure of this season hinges on the play of the Oline. Given how young the line is I think people may be expecting too much. They should be good eventually once they have time to gel, but I don't think it will be this season.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it almost always for EVERY team hinges on the oline. there are exceptions.

if we can't run with very strong success, we will fall very flat on offense.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't agree,,but good to see you back

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I wanted Quinyon at 20 as well, but you can not fault them for committing to fixing the offensive line once and for all. We just invested in a new OC and brought in two QB’s ... you had to commit to the offense this year. I did not like DJ at all. I think they could have definitely gotten more for him. Nobody knew that SF was going to demand a wr in return (hindsight is 20/20.). Part of getting rid of DJ was committing to GP’s development. We have no idea what issues DJ caused in the locker room or even the development of Pickett or undermining the authority of the coaches from the WR coach, OC and even Tomlin. They had to get rid of DJ to save Pickens and regain control of that Locker Room. If Pickens doesn’t wise up I can assure you he is next. If anything you should be pointing at Tomlin when it comes to DJ and his getting traded. Why can’t Tomlin discipline these guys? Why has it happened repeatedly especially with WR’s under Tomlin?

I just wish we would have went for a more feasible WR but better than Van Jefferson ... maybe a Darnell Mooney, Noah Brown, Alec Pierce but we haven’t and it doesn’t seem like we will. The biggest issue of all is the development of this offensive line. If they can’t get these guys up to a NFL level of efficiency soon then it is gong to be a failed season. At this point in time the development of the offensive line and the QB play lies solely on Tomlin. He hired the Oline coach. He kept the Oline coach. He keeps playing musical chairs with the offensive lineman. I also believe Wilson and Fields were personally hand picked by Tomlin. What’s confusing to me is in some ways it feels like we went all in this year but in other ways we cam up woefully short as in finding a wr 2 and a bonafide slot cb. I don’t understand it.

16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Honestly I think when it got close the Steelers got spooked. I think they went after him kind of blindly then they realized the possible repercussions of signing him according to his demands and how that would possible effect the rest of the roster. Watt is at 28 Million a year. They were not going to pay him more than Watt per season and nor should they. SF got desperate at the end. They just signed away Deebo Samuels fate mid year or definitely by next year and possibly Kittle. I think Sameuls is a better fit for that offense and quite frankly I would prefer him over Aiyuk.

I am glad we did not sign Aiyuk as I think that would have really complicated things with GP and some other players on this team who are coming up on contracts. We need to firmly establish this offensive line and the QB position before we can think about a big splash singing like that in my mind. I think it would have been much smarter of us to get a wr in the $15 million range or a younger guy with pedigree that isn’t gonna uproot the rest of the roster in the future. It just seems like we had no plan B and for that I fault both Tomlin and Khan, it reeks of arrogance.

17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree. The guy is extremely overated in my opinion. As a fan of this team I never felt like he fit our team. I did not enjoy watching his style of play. I think it reached a point with him they had to cut ties. The bigger issue is why does this keep happening under Tomlin?

18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You can’t grade Kahn on that alone. You have to grade the players he did draft this year. We essentially got Payton Wilson with the DJ draft pick. You need to look at Fautanu and Broederick and Frazier as well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH there isn't much on the market in that 15 million range. The best option is actually Diontae Johnson and I doubt that he signs with the team that just traded him (though, money talks). Deebo is probably a good option to trade for next year, and would expect him to be an extension in the same range as Higgins (low 20's). Speaking of Tee, I could see Higgins on a DJ Moore type of contract.... but I'd assume GP is going to be worth something in the high 20's so we might not be able to make that investment in the WR room AND pay a QB (someone like Dak). If we are paying QB, then we draft WR. If we draft QB, then we should pay WR. Lots of maneuvering between now and decision time.

As for the Aiyuk thing, I think we said we were willing at a rate lower than TJ Watt's contract and with picks and not players. We gave the best offer we had, but SF didn't seem to be willing to move him at all (and fair play since they think they can win it all this year).

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If you don't see this with other Wrs on other teams....You aren't paying attention.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If you believe the reports out there, they were ready to move him if they could acquire a replacement. When the Broncos turned down their offer for Sutton, it all fell apart.

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe. If we had DJ still, I think they would have moved him for DJ.... but that is just me speculating. They at the very least didn't seem interested in moving him without a proven WR asset coming back their way.

The whole time they were "shopping him" they were actively trying to re-sign him as well. They certainly seemed more motivated to keep him than they seemed willing to ship him. Just my observation at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I simply cannot get upset that DJ is gone. That dude got so little out of his apparently amazing ability to get open. It ought to be impossible to have 147 targets and get 0 TDs, and at 6 yards per target. Just pathetic.

24. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    More of that was Pickett than DJ. The guy literally had the lowest TD rate in the history of the NFL. Regardless if you wanted DJ to stay or not, I don't see how anyone can't fault Khan for going into a season with this WR room.

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I used those guys as a method of showing he is over-valued AFAIC. My opinion is that they might be able to replace his production by committee without the team having to put up with his BS. Throwing to the backs and TE's more can help. Running the ball not only for more yards but more effectively in critical situations can help. Some here will be playing the "Well, if we had DJ, blah, blah, blah" game after their second possession in Atlanta. I'll concede, he would help if he was here. How much is conjecture. We get to do that. Khan and Company apparently felt his piss poor attitude had gotten to the point that it trumped his usefulness, and I agree. Plus, if they don't make the playoffs which is a distinct possibility, I don't believe it will be in large part because DJ isn't here, and they didn't replace him with a viable option.