1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan making his mark

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Anyone who thinks I'm wrong in saying they should have taken Leonard over Edmunds must be related to the former. There is no other logical reason for such a stance. :cool:

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny how none of you can argue the results, which prove me right. I'm not talking about what they would have done. I'm talking about what they should have done. The distinction seems to be lost on you.

Leonard was the next linebacker on the board. I wanted him or Chubb over Edmunds, who should have lasted until the third round. I'm right. You're not. Get used to it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    So many in this forum would be great GM(on draft day at least) with the hindsight.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's funny how you can't understand even if they didn't draft Edmunds, Leonard was never going to be their pick in the first round. All of that they should've done this doesn't mean crap, I mean they should've drafted Tom Brady instead of Tee Martin but they didn't :shrug:.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True, but in my case it wasn't hindsight. To be fair, the guy I wanted most was Chubb. I never wrote that I didn't want Edmunds because nobody thought that was even an option.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Seriously, why are you having so much trouble with this concept? I'm not saying what they would have done. I'm saying what they should have done. That you don't think that was a realistic option is irrelevant. Also, it's a stupid argument. You insist Leonard belonged in the second round so the Steelers couldn't possibly have taken him in the first, but they took Edmunds, a guy who belonged in the third round. I'm sorry if this is rude, but your logic is failing you miserably.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Except Edmunds played at a Power 5 school
    Has the bloodlines
    Ht/Wt speed guy
    Tomlin/Colbert attended his pro day

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, before the draft, that would have all been relevant to the question of what they were likely to do, not what they should do. I can't imagine that you don't understand that point by now, so I have to conclude this is just willful ignorance on your part.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Translation: you can't admit you were wrong :facepalm:. I'm done with your nonsense on this topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would I admit I'm wrong when I'm right? The Steelers should have taken Leonard. Even with the injuries ruining his career the last two seasons, they still would have been far better off taking him than Edmunds. Whether they even considered it or not is irrelevant to my point. Your willful ignorance does not change that, but you are going to run off rather than admit it.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    evidently the steelers thought differently and wanted a safety. leonard didn't play safety hence the pick of a 5 year starter at safety. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Many don't remember how bad the safety position was awful in 2018....Sean Davis was one of the safety and Mike Mitchell was no longer with us...Fitzpatrick was drafted by the dolphins at that time....

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By that logic, every pick they make is right. They wanted a cornerback, so Artie Burns was a good pick. They wanted an outside linebacker, so Jarvis Jones was a good pick. They wanted a useless sack of crap who wouldn't have even made the team as a rookie if he hadn't been drafted so high, so Huey Richardson was a good pick.

The five-year starter bit is cute. Do you actually think Edmunds was a good pick? I'll take the four-time All-Pro over the five-year starter.

I'm not arguing about what they did or what people assume they would have done. I'm arguing about what they should have done, and that was take Leonard or Chubb, not Edmunds.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're not smart enough to realize Leonard was never going to get picked in the first round. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're not smart enough to realize that isn't the argument I'm making, which is that the Steelers should have taken him rather than reach for a third-round prospect who ended up being exactly that, a guy who should have been taken no sooner than the third.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they wanted a safety. chubb or leonard were bot that position. bottom line. could have, would have, should have doesn't matter. some first rounders don't work out and some do. it's very simple. what has the team that picked mr. all pro or nick chubb accomplished with those fantastic picks? crickets.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Chubb did help the Browns kick the Steelers' ass in the playoffs. I guess you missed that.

Inside linebacker has been a huge problem for the Steelers since they lost Shazier. Replacing the collections of crap they started there those four years with an All-Pro could have done wonders for those teams. It also likely would have kept them from trading up for Bush, thus avoiding another disaster.

That first-round pick didn't work out because the Steelers made a stupid decision. They passed on two players who would have made a huge impact for them to reach for a scrub who should have been a third-round pick.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ain't that the truth?!?!

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So, you're saying they should've drafted Leonard in the first round because hindsight is 20/20 :shrug:.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers had LeVeon and Conner on the roster already, there wasn't a chance in hell of them drafting Chubb :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, because I said they should have taken Chubb or the next inside linebacker on the board (Leonard) at the time. That both Chubb and Leonard became far better players than Edmunds just proves I was right.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Obviously, they didn't have Leonard rated that high on their board. Chubb was never an option I don't know why you keep mentioning him :shrug:.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    4 linebackers were off the board already.

i think colbert panicked two years in a row. they missed out on some good corners and good safeties that they wanted. hence the artie burns and edmunds picks. scribe keeps saying he was a 3rd round talent but many had edmunds as a 2nd round talent and just before the draft there were a few sites that had a 1st round grade on him. leonard was taken in the second round so pittsburgh probably had him ranked as a 2nd or 3rd at that point. normally you don't take the 5th ranked guy at any position in the 1st. just depends how their board was ranked at the time. coulda, woulda, shoulda. that whole draft or those couple of drafts were not colberts greatest hits. :cool:

• Like Like x 1