1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan’s role in Tomlin’s contract extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 17, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Tomlin is liked by players and coaches - he is a likable man, and a great recruiter. he is charismatic, charming - I think a genuinely 'great guy'.

that does not make him a great coach.

that has been my dilemma with him for many years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I never said he refused to play. He did however have a **** attitude about not getting his starting job back.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He doesn't have to be a great coach, a good coach with a good team can win a SB.

Cowher wasn't a great coach, he was a good one.

Noll was a great coach for a time, then he was just good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Meh, so much being said. Truth will come out about that eventually.

As for as asking for a trade, for all we know they told him they were bringing in Fields and that’s when he asked for a trade. Let’s not kid ourselves, Rudolph just went through that, Kenny would have been buried.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Loved spittle. Dude was full of energy and the game played out on his face. You could see the grit, determination and excitement by looking at his face.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And what verifiable proof do you have

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Is attitude when he was asked about what he learned backing up Mason...which he promptly said "Nothing"

His body language.

Then the interview he gave in Philly today, saying he brings throwing accuracy and leadership..............really?

I now firmly believe he was one of the issues in the locker room, right there with DJ. The way he carried himself around the city after being drafted.....like he was the anointed one.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So your just making stuff up

As I thought

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Steelers QB Kenny Pickett says he’s learned nothing from the sideline - https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...line-mason-rudolph-mike-tomlin-george-pickens

Just read that body language...the biting of the lip, the breaking eye contact immediately after speaking....understandably not happy but this jives with what we have heard about his less than ideal attitude in the lockeroom.

I mean, it was clear Mason was commanding this offense better than him.....so at least throw some support behind your teammate.

His body language says it all in this interview -

This answer is also bull****, you don't practice with the 2nd team all week if you are not going to dress -

This just makes him seem delusional......when asked what his strengths were he listed accuracy (LOL), playing in and out of the pocket (In the pocket?!? LOL), a leader? please -

Listen, I wish him the best.....but we talk about chemistry between players a lot, you also need chemistry between players and the people that run the team and the more I read and hear from the reporters and the coaches, I just get the impression that he just didn't mesh well with the coaches.

On a positive side, looks like he hired a new PR guy to show him how to give an interview in the NFL

Drafting him was a mistake. Good for the Steelers for moving on.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I haven’t been a Tomlin basher, but my patience is wearing thin with the playoff win drought.

At the end of next season it needs to be undeniable that the arrow is trending upward for the team. Otherwise, Mike needs to go.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

This will be Khan's role as Art ll and Tomlin work out an extension ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I think a lot of this is going to depend on the Rooney's. And not in the sense that they own the team. Success creates its own momentum. The Steelers have been languishing in the winning season category for quite a while. Khan comes in and makes a bunch of bold changes. He seems to be holding people accountable and he really seems to have far better vision for what the team needs than the GMs before him have.

If his decisions starts producing significant results, his stock with the Rooney's is going to go up. That's going to give him more say and influence over the team. Right now I think Tomlin and Khan n are probably co equals to the Rooneys. But success based upon Khan's leadership is going to give him more say in what goes on. I could even see this extending to matters that involve Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I am believer that football has to be a performance based industry. Tomlin was great his first 5-6 years. After his depantising at the hands of belichick and the patriots in last AFC champ game, He lost me right then. His performance has been less than stellar for the steelers standard since then. And dont tell me about non-losing seasons. Having the longest streak on no playoff wins in the division stinks when you have the inept franchises of the browns and bengals in the division. Its MT last chance so put up or get out Tomlin.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Art II is at odds with his agent. Looks like Popcorn wants a hefty raise. Hopefully they let him coach the season and see if they can actually win a playoff game and that the defense doesn't fold like it has done over and over in the playoffs. But it was all Ben's fault right?!

The Tomlin jock sniffers are all warm and fuzzy with the participation trophy winning seasons. They shout from the roof tops. All the while the rest of us are sitting watching other teams in the playoffs including in the division. 3 wins and 7 loses since 2014. The last playoff win was in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i hope Rooney takes his GOOD OLD TIME

• Like Like x 2
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Did Cowher lose you after the Pats beat us in the AFCCG in 2001? Did he lose you after we got blown out by the Pats in 2004? Or is it just Tomlin?

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you should tell us this story again grandpa

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was done with Cowher after 2003 season. But then 2 magical things happened. Steelers drafted Roethlisberger and re-hired Dick Lebeau for DC. The rest is history.

'04 AFC Championship loss was heart breaking, but we found our QB....and the D was back to it's 90's excellence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Due last summer

There was a whole thread on this “last summer”

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see you are making up bull**** and trolling just to get attention

Again

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What verifiable proof do you have of this post you are stating as fact

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who exactly are these people who are all warm and fuzzy? Other than maybe a couple members I don’t think it’s anyone here.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Those guys at Steelersdepot said they think it will get done in April, FWIW.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well then we can consider that a done deal

Although that is absolutely their busiest time of the year the draft

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s a nice way to say it

Good spin

We didn’t fire him we broke from tradition