1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan’s role in Tomlin’s contract extension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 17, 2024.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Omar Khan is proving himself to be a GM that doesn’t mess around and as someone who is trying to create a major sense of urgency and has taken a “win now” approach to free agency and player personnel decisions. If you don’t perform, you’re gone. Ask, Mitch Trubisky, Pressley Harvin and Mason Cole. If you want out, you’re gone. Ask Kenny Pickett and Diontae Johnson. I think it’s obvious that Omar is trying to provide Tomlin with all of the ingredients to cook a great meal. But will Chef Tomlin deliver?

Which leads me to the following question: What role will Omar play in Tomlin’s contract extension? Will he have a say in it at all or will that be all on Rooney? Khan strikes me as someone who can be very calculating and who demands results. Tomlin has not yet signed an extension so I’m wondering if Khan has had conversations at all with AR about waiting to see how the 2024 season plays out before re-committing long-term to Tomlin. I may be totally off base, but I can see Khan expecting as much from his coaching staff as he does from his players and if they’re not delivering they’ll pay the price and that includes the head coach. With some of these moves Khan has been making has he established himself as the alpha male in the organization and would he be willing to make a tough decision on Mike Tomlin if our playoff drought continues?

Khan and Tomlin seem to have a good relationship, but he’s proven that he’s his own man and Kevin Colbert is becoming a distant memory. I may be missing the mark but I’d be interested in everyone’s thoughts. Khan obviously has the players under a microscope, isn’t it reasonable for the head coach to be there as well?

• Like Like x 3
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We will never win as long as he’s the coach!
    Fire Tomlin
    Tomlin sucks

• Agree x 2
    • Hilarious x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I know comprehension isn’t your strong suit, but re-read what I wrote. I asked a few questions and I can honestly say I don’t know what the GM/HC dynamic is currently in the Steelers organization so I was interested in the thoughts of other board members and was hoping that some of our more knowledgable and thoughtful board members might chime in with their thoughts. That, of course, did not include you but yet here you are again with another one of your snarky and irrelevant comments that you’ve become so well known for on this board. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not a FMTI proponent. I’ve had plenty of criticisms about him, and they were all warranted.

At any rate, if you’d like to chime in with a coherent thought about whether or not you think Khan will play a role in Tomlin’s contract extension, feel free. Otherwise move along. This post is for some of our more intellectual board members who like to have serious discussion about Steeler related topics.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Rooney signs the paycheck so certainly he has input

But he clearly put Khan in charge and Kahn did not extend him last summer when they would normally have

Khan is sending a message loud and clear make no doubt about it

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Uhm no

his last extension came during training camp of 2021 when he was on the final year of his contract. The Steelers will extend him this summer just as they said they would

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s kinda what I was thinking and I know in some organizations the GM seem to have more authority to make those calls. I know with the Steelers it’s always seemed to be more of a GM/HC partnership. But anytime you have a partnership, you may have individuals that butt heads and Khan is proving himself to be a pretty strong personality. I remember when Cowher and Donahoe bumped heads a few years ago, Cowher survived. If Khan and Tomlin were to bump heads, would Tomlin be the survivor given the Steelers playoff ineptitude the last decade plus? Just asking the question and trying to stimulate some discussion.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlin has to end the playoff drought this year to continue coaching.

They have said they want to extend him but until they do, it’s lip service and already a break from their normal M.O.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think you are on to something. It's not like Omar just suddenly appeared, hell he has been there longer than MT, not that it means anything in this type of discussion. That said, Omar (in his infrequent) talks with media has spoken strongly that he wants trophies, and in his short stint has moved on from players that in the past might not have been moved. We'll see what the summer holds, but not getting the extension last summer, then again in the early off season strikes as more an Omar narrative than a Rooney.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It is not a break from their normal no. 2021 was the final year of his contract and that’s when they extended him

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They extend head coaches 2 years out.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m starting to think not

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I know Rooney has said he’d like to extend Tomlin before the season begins, but it’s been pretty quiet on that front. And I guess I’m wondering how it works. Is it ALL Rooney or will he have some serious discussion with Khan and at least allow Khan to provide some input? If you’ve got a player who has underperformed, do you extend them? Why would you do that for a head coach without having some serious and maybe difficult conversation first?

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Khan is in it to build his own thing, and Tomlin in that scenario is in a hot seat. I agree with OP.
    It's hard to tell whether Tomlin was lying in exit interviews when he said he spoke with Kenny a told him it will be a big year for him, and that he intends to resign Mason. He certainly now looking back comes across as a lying sack. But it is also certain that Tomlin had one expectation and Khan something else in mind. Khan is definitely a liar, an untrustworthy person. Tomlin and him are on the same page only to the extent that Tomlin is following his lead right now and maybe mislead at times.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Why is Khan untrustworthy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerNole

Nov 24, 2019
    Feels like MT will not get extended this summer. I think Khan and ownership want to see what Tomlin will do with what has been an active offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I think we have to go through the draft process. This 'plan' didn't just start after the last snap of last season. This 'plan' started once Omar took over as GM. This is a continuation. Nothing has been set in stone and deals and situations are always fluid, but so long as they meet with the goal. Tomlin is currently part of that plan or else he would already be gone and we would have a new HC headed into this year's draft. Just my opinion. Tomlin either gets extended this summer, OR will get replaced at the end of this season.

19. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    He is a liar and misleading, says one thing does another.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i agree - well, that and I hope.

no playoff wins is just not acceptable to keeping your head coaching job this many years in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This 100%. How do you continue to extend a coach who hasn't won a postseason game going on 8 years in row? That to me defines Tomlin more than the whole no losing seasons BS.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They very well may extend him but as the Canada firing showed, Tomlin wont be safe just because he is under contract.

I suspect that if the Steelers do decide to part ways with Tomlin it will be under the disguise that he is “retiring”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelerNole

Nov 24, 2019
    Not doubting you, example?

• Like Like x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Makes no difference. The claim that’s being made is essentially Tomlin is on the hot seat because he hasn’t gotten an extension and they always do it with two years left on his contract. The link simply points out that isn’t true. Tomlin’s last extension came during training camp of 2021. Which was the last year of his contract at the time