1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khalil Hodge ILB Buffalo

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Jan 26, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had this guy as a 6th rounder in the earliest of mock thread, but more projections have him going in the middle rounds. He's not the answer to our problems at ILB but he would be a nice addition to the room imo. If we have Fort for another year, he could definitely use that time to refine some techniques (like lose that annoying tendency to jump underneath blockers on outside runs essentially losing ground) and add strength.
    He doesn't have Shazier speed sideline to sideline as you can see on some of the outside runs but he's got better than average it looks like. Will see at his pro day. He does make some nice plays in coverage which is a plus.

Definitely will need some more tape but I think he goes in that 4th to 5th round area.

Heres two profile links..

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-can-be-a-productive-three-down-nfl-defender/

https://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft/khalil-hodge-ilb-buffalo/

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fort needs to add weight and muscle. I like him though. He hustles.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish Te'Von Coney had the speed we need at ILB. He checks the boxes everywhere else. Great at maintaining his gaps, sure tackler, football smart just an overall solid football player.

How he tests at the combine will be huge for him. If he drops to the 2nd rd, definitely worth taking. Could let Vince walk in a couple seasons.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While doing my research for prospects in bowl games I came across this guy. To be honest I was kinda like hmmm a Khalil from Buffalo what if.....lol. So I watched him in the dollar general bowl and he really didn't show much imo and the same in the Shrine game. Depending what happens at the combine could be a steal later on in the draft. Here is what I found when I was looking for info on him:

Khalil Hodge has lit up the stat sheet for the Bulls the past three seasons. He has 414 tackles, 21 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in his career. This year alone, he has amassed 138 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

Hodge is a very good run defender, especially between the tackles. He loves to attack the line of scrimmage and fill run lanes with a purpose. He takes on blocks in the hole and can use his natural power to disengage. Hodge is an instinctive player that recognizes plays and opposing team keys quickly.

The Buffalo product is a liability in zone coverage due to lack of speed and athleticism. His range as a linebacker is only subpar, and that could hurt his draft stock a bit. Hodge does have many of the intangibles NFL teams look for in a middle linebacker, nonetheless. He could be an early Day 3 selection.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Could this LB be our pick at 52 second round?

52) Steelers: LB T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin
    The Steelers have been known for linebacker player throughout history, but are lacking in that area right now. Edwards would help plug that hole after eight sacks, 10 interceptions and 37.5 TFLs during his college career.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

he's good but again his speed isn't great. we need some speed added at that spot. i'd love for edwards to be our thumper but we play so little of that defense now. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I love this kid too but am also worried about speed. If he is our pick you won't hear me complain. Another name to keep an eye on is the kid from Oregon who was awesome in the Shrine game LB Hollins. IMO he has it all

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I’d take a plodder like Edwards any day if his football IQ is high enough. Based on his stats in college it sounds like he knows what to do. He’ll be one of those guys that we look back on and ask how he lasted until the 5th round!

If we do this draft right we should be able to set up our defense very nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I like Fort too, but a lot of people forget he will be 30 next year or so. He's been with 5 or 6 teams and even though his Pitt. stint is the longest (I think) he languished on the bench for 2-3 years. Like most people here we need some speed and youth at ILB and this draft just doesn't have it imo.

I thought Hodges was faster but watching his tape more I am changing that opinion. I still think he's a solid 5th rounder and hopefully is the 2nd ILB taken in our draft to go along with a 1st or 2nd rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd be all over it in the 2nd. I wouldn't be upset if they moved up for him in the 2nd either. Maybe its early in the process but I'm left wanting more from this year's ILB class.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Hanks, Grant and Pratt can all run and cover and play inside.:cool:

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He is only 2 10ths of a second slower than the top line backer in the draft devin white but he is heavier at 247, I think if he lost 10 pounds he would be quicker, his career stats are good and he does get picks tracking the ball well..

1. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
      Height: 6-0. Weight: 247.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
      Projected Round (2019): 2-4.
      1/14/19: Edwards amassed 113 tackles with 11.5 for a loss, three sacks, two passes broken up and three interceptions in 2018. He put together underwhelming performances in the losses to BYU and Michigan, but played better late in the season, including in the bowl game versus Miami.

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Edwards checks in at 6-foot, 247 pounds with 31.13-inch arms, 9-inch hands and a wingspan of 74.25 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.80 seconds.

Edwards is an instinctive defender who is a physical presence in the tackle box. He also is dangerous in zone coverage, consistently putting himself in position to make plays on the ball. As a junior, he recorded 81 tackles with 11 for a loss, two sacks, seven breakups and four interceptions. In 2016, Edwards had 89 tackles with three interceptions, 8.5 tackles for a loss, three sacks and two passes batted. He totaled 84 tackles with four breakups as a freshman.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have been a fan of his. Check back to when we drafted watt. I was saying then wait a couple of years and this kid will be in the draft. The way we use linebackers has changed though. I see the same problem if we used him as we use vince, though he would be better against the run. I'd love him and Pratt behind our d line. :cool:

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Tre Lamar does well at the combine, I would consider him. Within that same vein, that would buck quite a bit of trends. Not many 6'4 ILB's out there currently.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I was on the Cam Smith train last year then he went back to school. This kid is pretty good in pass coverage and I feel a guy like Hanks will jump him in the draft due to speed which may put Smith right in our sights for a 3rd round pick. Either way there are some nice options this year up and down the draft.

16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I guess teams are all looking for a 6-4 vander esch type LB this year, too bad we missed out on this probowl rookie tackling machine.......

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well we could have gotten Leonard but we passed on him. So now that is a double whammy lol. Maybe this is the year we find one like that.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just realizing we have 2 6 round picks this year. It was part of the Switzer trade. Maybe that helps us move up a little somewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah we lost the 5th but got a high 6th so no real loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Or....

We need a multi role linebacker; 6'4 or otherwise. Only reason I mentioned his size is because those types of players are rare breeds. Said players do not come around very often.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will settle for the 6'3 Germain Pratt :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1