1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Colbert on replacing Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 25, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's all hindsight at this point, that doesn't change the fact that the Steelers made a mistake. I understood what you meant, I wasn't saying ''I'm smarter than the Steelers because...''
    I thought their first pick was going to be a long snapper.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    In that case, nice call.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Did they make a mistake? For 2018 there’s no doubt that the answer was yes. However, what if Leonard fades into being an average LB (it’s happens many times with rookie sensations) and Edmunds evolves into a Pro Bowl safety? The draft is about more than rookie year performance. My gut tells me that Leonard will have a better career, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the opposite happens. It’s not like Edmunds played himself out of the league and was a huge rookie bust. He was raw, and played raw, and showed pretty solid improvement over the course of the season. We’re probably going to have to wait a few years to say for sure whether it was a mistake over the long run.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Now you're using foresight.;+)

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with elvis that Edmunds showed improvement. It takes and has taken our safeties a couple of years of playing together to get to where we want them. Davis had moved position too 3 times actually. I think they become a good duo together. They definitely have the speed and size. We now have two coaches to help them.:cool:

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who is to say Leonard would have even played here under butler. Remember we had vince Williams and just gave him more money.:rolleyes::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Agree. The experiment failed. No one knew how good Leonard would do though. It's easy to look back and criticize.

My guess is if we looked back at your posts, Leanard wasn't top on your list for the Steelers to pick with #1.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hindsight.

What a wonderful noun! :lolol::thumbs up:

Further amplified by some of the posters.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I know, that's why I'm doing it.:sneak:

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah a rookie sensation like Kendrell Bell, who didn't do much else in his career :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get rid of Colbert.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Edmunds and Leonard had the same draft rd projections.

I don't recall anyone pimping Leonard as our first rd pick. Not one. I bet most had no idea who he even was until his break out season.

Every team missed on him in the first, everyone. And why wouldn't they, he didn't have a first rd grade. Colts even got killed for taking him in the second saying that was too early.
    Don't tell me the Steelers were the only team that needed an ILB either :bscow:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They replaced Shazier with Bostic :lolol:

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, we really don't. There is absolutely no good reason to think Leonard's play will decline significantly. There is a lot more than your gut telling us he will have a better career than Edmunds. Right now, Leonard is one of the top linebackers in the NFL. He was as good as a rookie as anything we ever saw from Shazier.

Edmunds wasn't even a great player in college. He wasn't that special. Most teams had a third-round rating on him. He was a tremendous reach. That doesn't mean he can't turn out to be a very good starting safety in the NFL, but he is a hell of a lot more likely to fail going forward than Leonard.

Also, the 2018 results matter. Remember how close the Steelers came in so many games this past season. You don't think adding a big-time playmaker in the middle of that defense likely gets them that one more victory?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I don't remember most of the posts I read here yesterday.

I did see rankings with Leonard as a borderline first-round grade. Every listing I saw had him higher than Edmunds. I can't say I was touting him before the draft, but once Evans was taken, I wanted the Steelers to take Leonard or Chubb, with the inside linebacker being the preference.

It's not about being smarter than the Steelers. Sometimes I'm right. I thought they should take Byron Jones a few years back. I thought they very badly needed to trade up for Revis. Far more often they are right. I didn't like the Smith-Schuster pick at all.

That said, they definitely screwed this one up. It cost them big time in 2018 and will likely continue to do so going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Colts reached with Leonard. They reached out and grabbed the defensive rookie of the year, off from under the Steelers and the rest of the league.
    How that happened doesn't really matter at this point, it happened.
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bostic was putting up numbers with the Colts too. Edmunds might be who popcorn Tomlin thought he was.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In another forum theres a Bill Nunn draft room, lot of heavy discussions about draft picks plus we do a mock draft. I'm fairly confident saying no one pimped Leonard.

That said, Steelers definitely could have used him last season. I'm just saying they weren't alone in missing on him.

By the way, we are going to need GM's for this years fantasy draft if you are interested. I'll have the new one posted in a couple days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert was on SNR today and he acknowledged they need playmakers in their back seven on defense, well then he needs to address these positions early in the draft.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did anybody pimp Edmunds? Honestly, that wasn't the issue. Nobody ever said the Steelers were alone in passing on Leonard, but that doesn't make the move any less of a mistake. It was a costly error.

My point was that not all of the talk about Leonard is hindsight. Some of us, myself included, wanted him to be the pick once Evans was taken. I didn't think he was going to be a star going into the draft, but I sure thought he was a better option than Edmunds.

I did see the fantasy draft. Not really my thing, but thank you.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I pimped Leonard and I thought I mentioned him as a POSSIBLE 1st rounder but I went back and tried to find it but couldn't. What I did find was some cool stuff, Turtle had Leonard as his 2nd round pick and there were some who didn't like that...2nd round never mind 1st.

If anyone wants to have some fun and get a break from all the negative stuff go back to last years draft talk and read some of that. People here are talking how we/everyone missed on Leonard, heck go read some of our picks/opinions. lol I am not pointing anyone out cause I am including myself in this, but it is cool to go back and look how right and wrong some of us were. Was pretty cool to read, jmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Or/and FA.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Selective amnesia...

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Here is a long list of GM candidates, Colbert obviously keeps Art happy which is the main reason for his longevity here, but maybe a new GM would bring fresher ideas to this team: Here is a basic list of their duties, and the available candidates:

“[r]unning an NFL franchise isn’t easy. Can you evaluate personnel, manage a salary cap, negotiate contracts, select a head coach, handle the media, make tough decisions, cooperate with an owner, deal with the league office and, most importantly, carry out a vision for a winning franchise? If so, then you qualify for the job.”

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2018/12/10/2019-nfl-general-manager-candidate-study/