1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Colbert on replacing Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 25, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Yeah we know you didn't, you ignored the position in the draft :facepalm:.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    To be honest, what was there in the draft probably wouldn't have helped them last year. Not much was available with the size speed, play making ability, that would be a day one starter.

They needed to adjust the defense from relying on Playmakers to sound positional and play recognition...They didn't obviously. On the other hand, the games when the defense did enough to win, the offense crapped the bed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Also, water is wet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In Colbert's defense. Ryan Shazier is not easily replaceable. I do agree that they didn't address the issue nearly the way it should have been though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We are just “another team” now lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As the article points out, Darius Leonard was available. Not taking him was a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Due to all the players they forcasted as being able to fill that role being gone in the first round. So they attempted a non traditional approach which fell flat on its face.

At least he owns the mistake.

Look for the Steelers to draft a ILB in probably the 1st this year while Terrell Edmunds becomes a serviceable starter at safety.

I'm guessing an ILB or CB in the first, vise versa in the 2nd, and an OLB/edge rusher in the 3rd. This class is apparently deep at edge rusher.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Every team made a mistake and the Colts got lucky in the 2nd. Funny how the draft works with all the experts missing more than half the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not every team was looking for a linebacker, the Steelers were. Regardless, Leonard made more sense than Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. 2018 was a lame draft as far as quality available goes. I`m guessing we will be drafting LB in the 1st round (surprise, lol).

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand what he is saying, but personally, I don't feel like we lost out with Edmonds. It is so difficult to guess how a player would have done on our team (or any other team than the one that drafted him). This is only my opinion though, just like I suspect Brown will have a hard time being "AB" with a different QB. I think he will still be good but not "AB" good. There is a chemistry between him and Ben, and when that chemistry was on...it was amazing.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Drafting a guy who ran a 4.7 and had only 20 reps in the bench from a smaller school to put in the middle, made more sense than grabbing Edmunds, a pretty good performing safety who's a 4.4 guy, when you knew he'd be needed as a replacement safety and may be able to be used in sub packages against TE's made more sense?

Colts got a diamond in the rough, but let's not pretend he would have performed half as good in the Steelers system.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is true. While there are some transcendent talents and obvious busts, players have to be used right. Think of the likes of Jim Plunkett etc.

I also agree, on that note, with Lizard’s point: we were relying too much on the idea of a playmaker over and above scheming with the talent we had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Can anyone who is saying we should have drafted Leonard point to where they said he should be our pick before last year’s draft? Hindsight is 20/20.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Darius Leonard was an All-Pro as a rookie last season with the Colts. He was there for the Steelers in the first round, but they passed. Indy took him in the second. Your claim that there what was there for them in the draft wouldn't have helped couldn't possibly be more wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Edmunds was lower than Leonard on most draft boards. Y'all need to stop twisting yourselves into rhetorical pretzels like this trying to argue the Steelers didn't screw that one up. They did. Leonard would have been exactly what they needed and they passed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, there were posters here who thought they should have gone that route. The hindsight just makes it even more clear that the Steelers messed that pick up badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They screw up a lot of picks. It's a crap shoot. Edmonds was probably higher on their draft board then others and i'm sure old popcorn Tomlin had some say. You can't replace Shazier, but yes, they should have addressed this in last years draft. They will this year.

And one of the mistakes will now grab 9.2 large for 4 years of disappointment. We still see upside with Alvin says Colbert. Maybe it's time to just admit you made a mistake on another OLB and dump this underachiever. He ain't gonna get any better.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not replacing shazier.
    Not finding better dbs.
    Letting Mitchell stay a year to long.
    Not replacing timmons.
    Playing the game with bell (which they admit was a mistake)
    AB gone.
    Picking up injured free agents.
    Letting munch get away.
    Firing the rb coach.
    Letting porter stay a year too long.
    Bringing in dog killer.
    Hiring lake when he clearly wasn't ready.
    Letting lebeau go for butler.
    Butler still here.
    The list goes on for this front office.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was on the Leonard train, I would have to go waaaaaayyyyyyyyy back to last years draft stuff but I loved Leonard after his big senior bowl. I remember people saying he wasn't a first and I agreed but I like Leonard a ton. In fairness I didn't like SVE........:facepalm:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Darius Leonard :shrug: All-Pro as a rookie, if their scouting did their job, he came from the same school as Hargrave.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Leonard pulled up lame while running his 40, and I didn't know the Steelers drafted using the Al Davis philosophy.
    He was the best player in his conference, twice (MEAC DPOY 2016,2017) so smaller school didn't matter. His game film spoke for itself, he looks like a man among children. Have you watched Edmunds game film?
    He visited the Steelers a couple weeks before the draft, it's not like he wasn't on their board.
    He wasn't a diamond in the rough. If more teams needed LB's, he was a first round pick.
    Let's not pretend we know how he would have performed in the Steelers system (the Steelers system being a big part of the problem to begin with).
    The other point (that many don't like to discuss) is it's highly likely the Steelers could have had both Leonard and Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Can anyone point out Edmunds as the Steelers first pick? That was a bigger stretch than Leonard as their first.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You missed the point. I am seeing a lot of “should have taken Leonard” posts. How many of the people saying this were saying it last winter/spring? I’m sure some did, but I’d bet some others didn’t even know who he was until he played great at the NFL level. It’s easy to look back and say “we should’ve....”

The draft isn’t an exact science. It’s not even close. Im sure plenty of teams’ fans are looking back at 2017 and saying “we should have taken TJ” or “we should have taken JuJu.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yea, me.:cool:

• Like Like x 1