1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny's Already Better than many QB's the Steeler's have had

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 6, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    One has made pro bowls and done something only 38 qbs in nfl history has done. YOU seem to think winning a sb is the sole determining factor on how great a qb is when it's not. Marino, moon, Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, etc.. have never won sbs and all have Busts in canton. That's not the metric everyone uses. That's what you use.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Completely forgot about that Colts game. The only playoff game I remember from 96 was the Patriots Fog Bowl beat down. :facepalm:

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Kenny's Already Better than many QB's the Steeler's have had

The whole premise of the thread is that Pickett has already surpassed those two. He has not.

I am cautiously optimistic that he will. To say he already has isn't accurate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The super bowl is the measure. It takes a whole team but that is the goal. Is he as good as neal? Ben? Terry? That will tell how good he is. Playoffs? Playoffs? Tim Tebow got to the playoffs and won. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers totally dominated the Colts. Woodson totally blew up the backfield on one play and OWNED Marshall Faulk.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kenny is better than Dixon, Landry, Dobbs, Vick (as a Steeler), St Pierre just to name a few. Maybe not Hanratty just yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Not surprising. Shanahan has his offense much more prepared than Canada

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah but Lamar runs faster

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    BIG LETTERS!

I wasn’t responding to the OP, I was responding to Heinz about evaluating QB’s.

As far as Kenny being better than those guys, he will be soon, that’s not a high bar. It’s Tomzack and Maddox, calm down guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And the Niners have offensive coaches who know how to call plays and get their playmakers involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Miles better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I figured You couldn't answer it. Yet the first thing You comment on earlier was Lamar Jackson record...Yet Jimmy Gs don't count. I would say very biased.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This thread....
    [​IMG]

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    I don't know how to stay on topic.

15. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Yep, it's a team sport. Strong defenses and running games have greatly helped QBs win Superbowls. One example I can think of is could Eli Manning won two Superbowls without that Giants defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Besides being a first round pick and knowing he will get plenty of rope, not sure what anybody is seeing in KP to make them think he’s a lock to be better than Tommy Maddox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Based on how he creates out of busted plays he should end up being right behind Ben and Terry. He’s the third QB to be taken in the 1st round in the last 55 years (I don’t count Malone - who was taken at the bottom) so he should be right behind those two at least

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let’s see how he handles the Ravens rivalry first.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Kenny is starting to show his command of the offense and it is very promising.
    But there's a lot yet to learn.

My concern is the defense which unfortunately is the highest paid defense currently.
    As some mentioned, those very good offenses out there will articulate the ball all over them.
    I'd prefer not to go the Don Coryell/Dan Fouts route where the offense can put up more points than Michael Jordan and the defense is just basically manikins.

I'd also like to see this offense addresses the Pickens deal.
    Kenny, George and Matt have had some time to talk and apply themselves all week.
    If George thinks he's open every time that is fantastic, now Kenny just has to put the ball in the best spot he can and let George go up and get it and prove it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I commented on his record because you acted as if playing him is an automatic win or something. You were mentioning something in the context of wins or Ls. THATS why I mentioned the record. You weren’t comparing two players in that scenario. Lamar jackson isn’t heralded just cause his record but his record is a reason of judging how automatic a win he is as an opponent is the primary thing to reference in that context. Sad I had

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I wasn’t impressed at all with trey lance in any game he’s played thus far so I wouldn’t say it’s all just Shanahan system.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don’t think Brady wins any of his 7 without his defense.

23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I screamed from the mountain tops for the Steelers to draft Brock Purdy instead of Pickett but no one would listen to me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett is a more accurate passer than Kordell Stewart and more mobile than Neil O'Donnell.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Some QB`s have great regular seasons, then stink in the playoffs (Tony Romo, etc.).

There is simply not enough evidence to say one way or the other where Kenny stands. "Incomplete" is his grade.

However, I like what I see mentally, which cannot be taught. He is much more a thinker than a QB who relies on natural ability. This opens the door to greatness but does not guarantee it, like Romo.

• Winner Winner x 1