1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett's hand size - Be Honest Now...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 8, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Reading some of these comments I can't help but think of Joey Tribiani with his 8.5 shoe size,... "The rest of me is all good! I'll show ya'!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Bradshaw said he began gripping the ball this way due to his javelin throwing days in track. Because of Bradshaw, this is the way I gripped and threw the ball growing up. Now I cannot throw it any other way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why is it disingenuous to point out that Pickett was perfect in the Senior Bowl, certainly better than the other quarterbacks playing in that same game. There are other aspects to this conversation than the ability to play in poor weather conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By the way, what is really disingenuous is to take those two tiny sample sizes and representing them as "each time there has been tape on him throwing in poor conditions" as if it happened 20 or 30 times.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Same. I am 6'1 and mine are just barely over 9. I could probably call them 9 1/16 and still be being honest.

I do think hand size makes a difference. This is the AFC North. There will be quite a few weather games played each season. I wasn't sold on Pickett before the hand thing. Now I want the Steelers to draft him even less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TY jeh. i knew there was one they used to talk about. didn't remember it was TB. i believe this guy was pretty good.:lolol::cool:

• Like Like x 3
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I saw a mock draft where the Steelers move up to 17 to get Pickett. No way in hell Pickett lasts until 17. This mock had Willis going before him. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My grandfather used to say, "If you've got more than a mouth/hand full, share it with a friend"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    His stats were perfect in the Senior Bowl, but his longest completion was damn near incomplete due to an under throw. He looked good, not great in the game. For me personally, I just want to see film of him playing well in adverse conditions to get my comfort level up. Other than concerns about how well he can grip and rip in poor conditions, I think he’s QB1 in this draft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Really Scribe? We are talking about Picketts ability to play in poor weather because of his hands and you are citing a good weather game.

Wow, and you accuse me of being a fanboi.

Sorry facts bother you but with the evidence we have to go by, he has done poorly. I have never made the declaration that Pickett will never be able to play in poor weather, only that what we have seen, hasn’t been good. Thats pretty straight forward and shouldn’t get any push back but that’s kind of your thing to be argumentative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the sr. bowl is like making a decision on a player in the pro bowl. overall body of work has to mean something. i want consistency over several years of playing not just one good season. burrow had one great season but he had had consistency since HS. urban and his offense screwed burrow. he never should have gone there but if day had had his way with the kid then he showed many times he had the stuff. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why. New information brings new knowledge, and understanding. It was His practices at the Senior Bowl that started this thought process for Me.
    I became enamored with Herbert after the Senior bowl, and combine....So I can be disinterested with a player the same way.
    On top of that I can't really find Pickett playing in many bad weather games 2 see if I'm wrong.
    JMO.

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes. But his fingers were fairly long. I'd wager his hand size was still north of 10. Not that that proves anything one way or another. Tom Brady is like 9.3 and holds the ball same as Terry did. Does roughly 3/4 of an inch make that big a difference? IDK

The only (viable) starting QB with 8.5 inch hands since they started tracking it was Michael Vick. Make of that what you will.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No. Read it again. I specifically said a discussion of Pickett does not have to be entirely restricted to his performance in bad weather. I'm saying that his performance in the game is relevant to a discussion of Pickett in general. That he threw better than most of the other quarterbacks in that game, including Willis, is absolutely relevant. There are aspects of the game other than throwing in poor weather that matter.

I know you want to limit the discussion to a few practices and part of the North Carolina game, but that doesn't make much sense.

I'm saying that the sample size is too small because it is absolutely too small. I get that you don't like it, but it is true.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Yes, fumbles will increase with hand size barely big enough to grip the football. It takes MUCH less to knock it loose than with a QB with 10" hands. Pickett pump fake could be tuck rule every other time.

All that said, well before hand size became a CLEAR issues, I did like Pickett's college season. He only did it once, but his team isn't loaded with stud WR either.

I know hand size matters because of my own experience. I had very little confidence from throw to throw that it'd "slip" in motion or when I was bringing the football to the side of my ear. I have same size hands as Pickett. I never used a glove, so maybe that can erase most of those concerns, but there is no doubt that his small hands will have gameday impact(s). Will his passing, progressions and scrambling ability overcome those handful of errant throws, dropped snap or near-fumble/fumble on the run? Perhaps, but he'd need to be well above average passer. Maybe he will be. I do think he is the best pure passer of the rookie QBs, but thats not saying all that much. All of them have throwing/decision making questions around them.

I won't be mad if we draft any of them. I'd prefer (wishful thinking perhaps) that we wait and see what drops to us in round 2 and grab one of those many talented OL in round 1. Or NT Davis if he somehow slides to us.

• Like Like x 1
  16. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    It surprises me that Kyler Murray isn't talked about for small hands. His 5'7" (allegedly 5'10 1/8") have to be the smallest hands in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because apparently a person's height has nothing 2 do with it.
    I'm 5ft 10, and My hands are 9,and 7/8. Just like for wingspan, and shoe size.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know what you are saying but no one here is claiming he is a bad QB, the discussion is his hands and if his grip on the ball in poor weather will affect him. So far, limited or not, he hasn’t thrown well.

Pickett is one of 4 QB’s I’d want but I’m not going to dismiss what I have seen. Could absolutely be relevant when he plays in the rain or snow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's possible. I'm just saying my comment about the game wasn't related to the discussion of his ability to play in bad weather. I'm aware that it was the practices that were in bad weather, not the game. Somebody else thought he hadn't played in the Senior Bowl, so I responded with his statistics from the game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I picture a bunch of wives checking out dudes pulling out the tape measure checking their hands

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Read somewhere he measured at 9.5 in hand span (pinky tip to thumb tip - what we're calling hand size).

But there's another measurement I don't see anyone talking about and that's hand length (bottom of palm to tip of middle finger). It seems to me that this would also have an effect on grip.

For reference, the average NBA player is 9.5-11 inches in length. As a shorter guy, with hand span just slightly north of 8.5 inches, my length is also 8.5 inches. I've said many times I don't feel I have a problem gripping a football. I DO have a problem palming a basketball. I could be off on this. But it just seems to me that length might be more important than span for football - whereas span is very important to basketball. IOWs, I'm curious what these QB hand lengths are.

When it comes to fumbles, if you're going to be hit, you shouldn't be holding the ball with one hand anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    TMI