1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett's hand size - Be Honest Now...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No biggy, Mac. I didn’t catch it either :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Hand size is a non issue.... The media always tries to find a way to strike up controversy...
    What they don't mention is that, as far as I know, they use the NFL ball during senior bowl practices and the game itself, and Pickett threw 6-6 for 89 yds and a td....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny how his critics want to ignore the actual game, in which he threw the ball very effectively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    won't that muddy turf of heinz field hurt a running qb as well? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011
    Btw...... The same criticism was pointed at Jow Burrow, who's hand size was only 9.... Pretty sure he's silenced his doubters

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes!!!! My new career :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Once again, I will point out that Dan Marino has small hands, too. That was why he held the ball closer to the tip, which was raised as a concern before he was drafted. Of course, that ended up being part of why he had such a quick release.

To be clear, I'm not comparing Pickett to Marino. I'm just questioning if the small hands thing is being blown out of proportion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Game conditions were fine though. It was practice during the week in the rain that he noticeably struggled.

His hands are also a half inch smaller than Burrows.

Like Burrows, he will need to silence the questions about hand size through his performance. Until then, it’s a fair question.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s a good article on hand size and fumbles. For me, it’s not about fumbles so much as being able to grip the ball when it’s slick. Other people are making it all about fumbles. Is anyone here going to make the argument that bigger hands are better to grip the football? Pickett will need to play much further into harsh weather conditions then he has in college, add to it that the ball is also bigger in the NFL, it’s fair to wonder if he will struggle with it. I haven’t seen anyone say he will be a bust because of his infant size hands. Relax.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022...hand-size-fumbles-rushing-attempts-connection

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, you brought up the fumbles. It seems as if you are trying to move away from that now that others have shown that other quarterbacks in this rookie class fumbled as much or more the last two seasons.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If you were being fair you’d recognize I was responding to Bobby Biz about his post on fumbles.

My biggest concern has always been his play in inclement weather.

A lot of things factor into fumbles.

12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm only 5'8'', and my hands are slightly over 8.5 inches. I don't have long fingers (but my fist size is larger than most. Weird). So someone 6'3" being the same size is surprising. But the average man in the US is right around 8.5 inches. I don't have a problem gripping a football. I doubt he does either.

• Like Like x 1
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

I still call it a non issue..... We all know what Pennsylvania weather is like .....
    It's not like we haven't seen the weather play a major factor in Ben's play as well... Pickett will struggle about as much as any QB when the great equalizer, mother nature rears her ugly head

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here I was thinking You had pillows for Hands. LoL

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well if we take him, I hope you are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben played in weather as deep into a season as possible. Pickett was at home resting by the time the truly bad weather kicks in. Have 2 add that in your thought process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You have women hands. So...perfect fit.
    Just not looking at You as our next Qb is all. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's cool. We all are wrong at times, but some are like Fonzie, and can't say they are wro...wron...wro...wrong. LoL. I'm proud You don't fall under this category. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Is not a half inch a big difference?? I tell You what ....take , or add half a inch 2 any thing ,and see if You don’t notice, or if anyone else does. LoL

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And if you were being fair, you'd see that I was responding to a Michael E's comment when he mentioned fumbling. In my response I compared him to 4 other top QBs in the draft. One of those was Malik Willis, your fave, and you came to his defense. That's how we got here. ;)

That was the same post with the links to the regulation ball sizes showing that, when fully inflated, there's no difference.;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt accuse you of anything so nothing to be fair about. Was just correcting that you glossed over 26 fumbles :shrug:

Had nothing to do with Willis, I didn’t even mentioning him. Why would I, you cited several QB’s.

As far as the football size, I guess they don’t play with them fully inflated then. Pretty common knowledge the play size is smaller. Done on purpose because the degree of difficulty is supposed to increase going to the pros. I don’t agree with that, I think it’s stupid to have college and pros vary in so many ways. You are supposed to be prepping these guys for the next level, the transition should be made smoother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    My hand is just under 10"...

FWIW, Joe Burrow's hands measured only 9". Doesn't seem to be effecting him too much...

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same reason I hate the difference in the hash marks. It seems stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I measured..... 9.5".... it never equated to a football career of any kind..... but I was an exceptional recreational soccer goalkeeper in the over 30's & 40's leagues of central Ohio for nearly 20 years.....

• Like Like x 1