1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Animus, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Kenny is a Heisman Finalist. :clapping::dancing::drinks::rawk::applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Jordan Addison wins the Biletnikoff Award and he and Pickett 1st Team All American. Way to go men! HTP! :thumbs up:

"Even before he wrestled the football from a Virginia defensive back, Jordan Addison had proven he was the best wide receiver in the nation.

Addison’s efforts were rewarded before a national TV audience on ESPN on Thursday night when he was named winner of the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s best pass catcher, regardless of position. He also joined Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett on the Walter Camp All-American first team. They are Pitt’s 95th and 96th all-time All-Americans.

Pickett is only the third Pitt quarterback to earn first-team All-America honors, joining Dan Marino (1981) and Matt Cavanaugh (1977). Addison is Pitt’s first All-American wide receiver since Larry Fitzgerald (2003).

Pitt is tied with Alabama and Oklahoma State for the most Biletnikoff winners (three). Addison joins Fitzgerald (2003) and Antonio Bryant (2000)"

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bama Qb wins the Heisman. That's who most thought it would be. Believe that's the 1st Qb by Bama in a long time. I haven't looked it up...just going on what I can remember.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's actually their first QB to win the Heisman. But look at the other notable QBs at Alabama who didn't win including Namath, Stabler, Mac Jones. I read somewhere that Bart Starr played at Alabama as well.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/alabama/best-alabama-quarterbacks/

• Like Like x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow. That is more unbelievable than I thought. Crazy. Thanks:thumbs_up:

6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not surprised Kenny didn't win. I felt he deserved it, but feelings aren't facts. It's a great recruiting tool and the transfer portal + NIL can potentially allow Pitt to be competitive for awhile. This team with Addison, Izzy and Hammond should be very explosive, plus there's rumors of Purdy (FSU) transferring to Pitt.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't mind him being over looked a bit. Too much hype and he'll end up with a career killing franchise like the Texans, Lions, or Jets. He needs to be under the radar and get away from the bottom feeders. The homer in me wants the Steelers to have a shot at him. If they lose out (which is a possibility), They are going to really climb up in the draft. Looking at the current order, Pittsburgh should pass Atlanta, Philly, Vegas, New Orleans, Minnesota, Miami, and possibly Seattle by the end of the year....if they lose out, of course.
    That would move them to 8th or 9th.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  8. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure hope Kenny plays in Peach Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    A quick summary of Pitt's acclaims this season. Pretty cool stuff - memories of the general era when Pittsburgh was indeed The City of Champions:
    "
    All five NCAA-recognized All-America teams have been released, and Pitt made its mark on each.

The American Football Coaches Association team was the last of the five Wednesday, and quarterback Kenny Pickett, long snapper Cal Adomitis and wide receiver Jordan Addison were recognized. Pitt has three first-team All-Americans for the first time since 1982 (Jimbo Covert, Dan Marino and Bill Fralic).

Pickett joined Adomitis on the first team. Addison, the Biletnikoff winner, is a consensus All-American, named to the AFCA second team after four first-team honors from the Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, Sporting News and Walter Camp.

In addition, defensive tackle Calijah Kancey was named to the Associated Press third team.

Pickett, a Heisman finalist and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award winner, also was named to the Walter Camp first team. He is Pitt’s first first-team All-American at quarterback since Marino in 1981.

AFCA added the long snapper position to its team this year, making Adomitis the first college player honored at that position. He also won the Patrick Mannelly Award as the nation’s top long snapper."

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do You think He(Pickett)will Do anything before the draft????
    Like....Bowl game, Senior Bowl, or combine????

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pickett skips Peach Bowl.

Just when I jump on the bandwagon too. I was looking forward to the Bowl game but won't watch now. Still hope Pitt wins.

The almighty dollar trumps everything. IMO it's unfair to his teammates.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't like it as a fan either, but If I was in His shoes I'd probably do the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How long until elite college players skip out on a National Championship game for fear becoming injured and missing out on a possible huge NFL contract?

15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I would guess that his teammates are behind him.
    Pitt is big-time D1 college football. Every kid in that locker room has the hopes of making it to the the NFL. So every kid understands the situation that he's in and would probably make the same decision if in the exact same situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not sure We ever see that. It only helps their Draft selection. That's as Big as it gets in College....it's not a throw away game like most Bowls are now.
    I believe it would Hurt a player for not playing in one of those games. They would be like...so are You afraid of playing the best of the best???

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Personally, I think they should be forced to play in the game unless they are absolutely injured from doing so. Also, College coaches should not be able to abandon their teams going into Bowl games so that they can take another job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Guys would be faking injuries. There's just way too much money on the line. You're talking tens of millions difference between a top 10 pick and suffering a severe injury and being picked in the late first/early second round. Managed correctly, that money could set up the next generation.

It sucks, but that it the current system. I've seen the idea of a 12 team playoff floated and I think that's the easiest way to change things.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Frankly, since ESPN practically controls the bowl system, it's up to ESPN to get these guys NIL deals and insurance deals to entice the kids to play in these bowl games. I don't blame any kid for forgoing a meaningless bowl game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Perhaps all non playoff Bowl games should just be simulation Madden style games so the stars could virtually participate. :hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's funny because I heard a friend of mine say the same. He's pissed about the players sitting out, and some leaving in the transfer thing...porthole, mechanism...thingy Bob.
    LoL . Whatever it's called. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's a real shame too since the Team as a whole fought hard to make it to a meaningful Bowl game since probably the Cavanaugh/Marino era only to have to play without a full deck. Analytics have ruined sports at all levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I wonder too. Pickett is the first quarterback ever to skip playing in a New Year's six bowl game, but I can't blame him for sitting out.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No Way can a person blame Him . He has nothing 2 gain, and everything 2 lose. I could See if it was a Playoff game for the National Championship(which may hurt him....because they would ask...why duck the best of the best), but a meaningless bowl game. I don't blame Him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Being a life long Pitt Panther fan, I'm absolutely bummed that KP isn't playing in the upcoming semi-prestigious Bowl game. But....the fact that KP essentially sacrificed/gambled to play a 5th year, which symbiotically benefited both himself and the Pitt football program, I'll give him a pass (NPI) for sitting this one out. It's different than a good player skipping out for the Pro's as a Junior or even Larry Fitzgerald on a technicality as a sophomore. But (again) now that college players can get paid under the Fair Pay to Play rules perhaps they should be required to pay that back to the college that allowed them to be successful if say, they declare early for the draft and/or sit out a (meaningful to the fans) Bowl game. This most likely wouldn't change KP or other star player's decisions, but it would give them something else to consider and maybe make long time fans like me feel just a slight bit better about the whole matter. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1