1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And who designs these plays? Can you honestly say that evaluating KP under
    these conditions is. fair? KP would be the first to tell
    You he should be playing better and be more accurate with his throws.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Canada does. He certainly hasn't been much of a coordinator with his play calling and game planning.... but yes, it is fair to evaluate KP under these conditions. There are still plenty of plays that can be made even in Canada's offense. The routine plays he's missed and overall consistencies are frustrating. The same guy that has the 2nd best 4th quarter QBR in the league since he's started playing is the same guy that can barely throw for 100 yards through the first 3 quarters. This happens every. single. game.... He will get another year to "prove it" (likely with a new coordinator) but there are plenty of areas he needs to get better at if he wants to be a starting NFL QB in this league past 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This is possible that Tomlin stick with Pickett for too long even if he do not make much progress over the years....

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is the problem - the ROUTINE plays, when not under pressure - curl routes, 15 yard outs, and the deep ball. There have been too many awful throws. I am not sure if this improves. I guess we will see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Can anyone who does not have Rose colored glasses say Kenny Picket is not a below average qb. Come on man. He cannot hit the easy routine passes which is a base line for elite qbs. He has flashes of brilliance and flashes of crap. Worst 1st half qb in league and yardage. We will never compete with the big boyz in the playoffs with him or Canada calling plays enough said.

6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    everyone says to give him one more year. So I guess that happens. I am hoping to see a LOT of improvement in his game in the coming weeks. We'll see

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Steelers go 2-1 vs. Packers, Browns and Bengals over the next 3 weeks ... with decent 1st half offensive production... then I will consider that progress and a success for Pickett and the offense.

Packers and Browns are winnable games. Bengals... not so much with current state of the offense.

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Our defense will have to keep the score down and create turnovers since the Browns defense has been great this year.This is not impossible since the Browns offense is terrible but it will still be a challenge to win this game...I agree the bengals game will be harder

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't believe so. I think He gets one more year after this one, and then if He shows improvement they keep Him....if not....he's gone. I'm seeing improvement game by game. It's baby steps ,but it's there. 4 Weeks ago He wouldn't have seen the targets He missed throwing to . At least now He is starting to see them. Thats a step in the right direction. However little.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we will be underdogs vs. the Browns, I am guessing 4 points?

6 vs. the Bungles....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023

A bit lengthy video of Pickett from 2022. Compare this to what we saw this pre-season, and so far this season. There is a significant difference, I think.

12. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

It sure makes you wonder what happened to the use of the tight ends in this offense. Muth was a go-to guy in pressure moments but he was hardly used this season...or any tight end for that matter.

With more production using the WR's on the outside, getting back to getting tight ends making catches in the middle of the field and better use of the slot receiver would surely help this offense and Kenny Pickett. However, it doesn't seem to be a big part of Matt Canada's play designs.

Pickett also doesn't seem to be running as much this season, which is part of the learning process. Playing more from the pocket is required to get him where everyone wants him to go.

• Like Like x 2
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Pickett needs to establish a rhythm in the game..... there's a reason he can't hit the ocean from the beach in the first half and then is a hall of famer in the 4th quarter...... start him off with either some short passes, or even no huddle.... get the TE's involved more and watch the numbers go up

• Like Like x 4
  14. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Him having virtually no tight end to depend on underneath is a BIG part of his problems. I read where we could have drafted Andrews or Kittle instead of Dobbs or Rudolph. Doh!

15. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Man, I'd kill for your eyesight. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    See when you have a competent OC and someone that might understand the run
    game you could call plays that might help a young QB. The OL
    has failed the Steelers up to the last game. They have been terrible, when you
    Have 2 really good backs they Should get 150 Total yds from the run game.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ve been a KP supporter since we drafted him but right now I’d have to agree with you, he is a below average quarterback. I’m hoping that once he’s paired with a competent offensive coordinator he’s able to take the next step but the jury is definitely still out.

19. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Deshaun Watson?!?! The current version of the guy is nowhere near 'top QB' in the league. In fact he is only marginally better than Pickett.

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is definitely a dilemma with Pickett. I want so bad for him to be successful, but it is too hard to judge him based on Canada's offense. I still say Mason is a good QB and was not given a fair chance. Dobbs had suffered the same fate due to our coaching but is now showing the capability to become a star player. Fans were ready to run Mason out of town in far less time than Kenny. Also, keep in mind the Eagles were ready to give up on Jalen Hurts until his breakout season last year. And ohh..., the story that Hurts thought he was coming to Pittsburgh had fans in an uproar pondering what might have been. Let's face it, our OC and lack of coaching would have been detrimental to Hurts as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    They just put up 33 against the Ravens!

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    could get to 6 and 5 VERY QUICKLY

then this place will get RILED UP!!!!

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now I would rather Dobbs be our starter ..lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    That's why you aren't a coach trying to slowly bring the franchise QB along, lol.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobbs is for sure playing better than him right now.. I hope Dobbs lands a huge contract somewhere next season , he has put in the work and has grown into a starting caliber NFL QB .. Never going to be elite but for sure better than a lot of NFL starters as of right now that includes our QB ..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1