1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope you’re right about him. I took a quick look at his comebacks. Other than the Ravens (twice - which is awesome), all of his comebacks were vs teams below .500. Mainly teams well below .500, many with temporary QBs. When I think of heroic 4th quarter comebacks by great QBs of the past, I’m not thinking about beating the current crappy Raiders twice, or the Sam Darnold led Panthers, or the Mariota - led Falcons, or the Matt Ryan - led Colts or the Dalton - led Saints, or the Titans with a raw rookie in his 2nd start. I HATE that I’m sounding negative, but when I rewatch the games after they’re over, and the emotion is out of the picture, I really don’t like what I’m seeing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but not folding in the face of the pressure in the last moments of a game is a deal that shouldn't be looked at lightly. How many players have we seen that are great in most of the game, but crumble at the last crucial moments??? It's not everything, but it's a thing.

3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    * I’m OUT of this discussion. I don’t like that I’m feeling pessimistic about our QB, and I don’t want to keep posting about his flaws. Still, I’m not going to pretend that I don’t see the issues that are clearly there on tape repeatedly, but I see no point in continuing to talk about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s the ONLY thing that gives me some hope for him to be “the guy.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL
    It's a message board about the Steelers, and He's our Qb. It's natural to talk about it. I don't think You are being overly critical . I think You are speaking about what You see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think the kid has the tools and has the moxie and has the eagerness to get better. He don’t have a cannon for an arm he don’t have the speed or the build to be one of these next gen guys but he has the tools to both win a game and not lose a game all on his own.

that said I don’t think he’s surrounded by minds to put him in the best position to get every ounce out of him that could be had and ultimately said minds are probably more detrimental than encouraging for his continued development.

just my opinion but I can’t judge the kid knowing he’s not being put in the best position to be a quality qb… and hope that whatever desire he has will be enough to put him over that deficiency in talents and or tutelage.

We witnessed it with a HOF qb… his talents albeit ego and complacency coupled with a staff that enabled it left alot of weirdness out there. Kenny ain’t sandlot Ben nowhere close but he’s eager to be what Ben was not in my opinion which is a kid that could do somethings in a right system which we don’t have currently hence the Ben reference.

I think he has the work ethic but he don’t have a game plan or staff to put the work into the proper perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Well, I think it's a lot more important what you do over a long period of time. It's great what Kenny Pickett is doing right now, but will it continue over time? I think that's why the list I posted shows that many of the quarterbacks at the top of the list were some of the biggest winners ever.

It is an indicator for who can really play at a high level, but I'm not crowning him as anything yet. There is much more for him to do.

Again, it's a great sign that he seems to be able to raise the level of his play in big moments, but we all want to see more consistent play and production from him while maintaining that clutch factor. If he can do that, he is going to win a ton of games and have a chance to lead the team into many big games and hopefully many big wins.

I understand having doubt about Pickett. We will continue to see his development...or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He's 3-0 against Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Pickett’s physical abilities are average at best, and he seems very slow in getting used to NFL speed. But he should be good enough to get a bunch of 9-8ish seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he is pressing, trying not to make mistakes. He is much more accurate than he is showing.
    He will work at improving. Folks he is not Pat Mahomes /Aaron Rodgers. He needs to get better
    and I personally believe he will.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the team can't live on 4th qtr. comebacks. there has to be some consistency at some point. every move this team makes takes forever to get in place and make work.

i like kenny but there is just no growth. the same misses and pocket presence is lacking from game one until now. at some point there has to be improvement.

what we have behind him may be part of the problem. mitch and mason are not good mentors to the kid whatsoever. he actually plays a lot like them. he is the best we have but man that isn't saying much right now.

we built this team to have success doing certain things like run the ball which was supposed to help him. we have started to do that but it's taken half a season. he hasn't evolved with that.

is he making these throws in practice? is he not seeing what he should be? is he not reading his keys well? something is missing. i see lack of multi tasking ability. not until he is dropped back does he seem to then start his progressions. no pre snap processing. no dropping back processing. no pressure processing. get the run game being consistent and go from there seems to be the MO right now.

muth being out doesn't help. i do think he was kenny's security blanket. now we are seeing DJ become that for him. the others are too far down his progression list to be comfortable with right now. that may come but he has to realize that and not just go to the comfortable throw. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac our running game has been nonexistent until last game.Yes if they could become consistent in running game this too will
    help the passing game. I think he feels he has to be perfect. Has to fit throws into tight windows all the time not like some QB's that have
    receivers running freely by scheme.

13. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    CJ Stroud has more career touchdown passes than Kenny Pickett

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Go root for the Texans.

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Nah I’m good just making a point as you talk about Kenny getting a gold jacket :lolol:

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I never said he is HOF, long way to go to think that. But I do think with the right coaching and circumstances he can be effective.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

the last two were better running games for us. no not great but better. the scheme has shown open receivers but he doesn't give routes time to open up before he looks to his next progression. he's looking for spots where his receivers are supposed to be and sees a defender and moves on. never seeing the route develop or come back to that route. he just looks to the next one. then panics because he thinks the defense has closed on him whether it has or not. many times it doesn't but he moves into pressure. where he looks is part of the problem and what he sees or thinks he sees is part of the problem. it's like he feels he has to look at every progression across the board and then the rush should be there so i have to move and his eyes don't look anywhere but at the perceived pressure only. he's reading routes wrong and not long enough and pressure wrong and then never downfield while the pressure is coming. not unless it's right in front of him. he beams in on one spot not seeing the whole field. it's where he's looking is part of the problem. it's easy to say but nobody can do it for him. the good ones have that field vision and anticipate routes opening. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    A lot of Steeler fans think he has to be perfect or they can’t be bothered with him. Smug bunch IMO.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Pot meet kettle

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid that is true, but if you look at about 28 other teams in the league they too want their QB to be Pat Mahomes.

21. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022
    Agree. I'm enjoying the season so the easy solution is to back away from the chatter and let it play out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    When looking at qbs in the NFL. Its like watching the old American Idol. I may not be a music genius, but it takes you about 15 seconds to figure out if someone has a special voice compared to someone who is just average. After watching Kenny P. he is not special and we will never be elite with him at qb. He is the worst 1st half qb in the entire league and can only win if d is spectacular and keeps us in the game for a late game hero drive. CJ is miles ahead of him in just his 8th start. Levis looks better as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You managed to stay out of the conversation for 60 seconds(+-)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    But week in and week out we see poor qb play from supposed better qb's. There are about 4 QB's in the league
    above and beyond the 28 other teams QB's. These 28 other teams have to rely on all three phases
    of the game to be successful. We are no different, there is noPat Mahomes in our immediate future.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  25. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022

I agree. That's why it's a massive waste of time to debate back and forth about it.........so I won't. I'm enjoying watching our Franchise QB work through things. If others aren't, well bless their aching hearts.