1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett QB#1 Roll Call

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TGH, Jan 8, 2024.

1. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    No sir. You need to do better. You are completely wrong, and that is unacceptable.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly! Tomlin needs to stop the charade and list Mason as QB1. There were reports that Tomlin was very close to benching Pickett after the Browns game so why is he now the firmly entrenched starter on the depth chart? Mason has earned the starting quarterback position by his play on the field. Kenny in nearly two full seasons has not. I’m not completely out on Pickett and maybe this situation will benefit him in the long run, but I’m not nearly as sold on him as I was this time last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny can play no more this year because we can lose no more games.
    -Pimply Dan

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Pickett is Trubisky. One good season in college. Can't go through progression. Get's out of pocket quickly. Causes a lot of drives to end without points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible. I'm very curious to see what he does against the Bills. I always thought Rudolph could be fine when he wasn't under pressure, but NFL quarterbacks will have to handle pressure.

6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Look at my signature for more interesting Pickett stats. He's the absolute worst in NFL history as per my sig! That's just amazing. Think of the worst QB on the worst team you have ever seen/read about/laughed at and, if they had more than 500 passes, they are better than Pickett! LOL

That's a great QB to be franchise around...

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL Every mock draft I saw had Pickett in the first round. Your memory is faulty. Standing around on the sideline usually doesn't help a quarterback grow.

Also, where did you read me saying Pickett should start Sunday? I'll give you a hint. I didn't. He has been sitting for over a month. Your lack of reading comprehension skills is the only thing defying logic here.

My argument is that Pickett is going to at least get the opportunity to compete for the job next year. Rudolph is better than Pickett after the latter has been sitting for a month, but that doesn't mean he is the better option for 2024 and beyond. If he shows he can perform against a good defense that is actually trying, which he will have to do Sunday, then I think he will have at least earned a shot to compete for the job in 2024 if he chooses to re-sign with the Steelers. I'm not certain Tomlin will agree, and he's the one whose vote counts.

And yeah, it's definitely still you who has to do better.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett takes care of the ball. Trubisky does not.

Pickett has good mechanics. Trubisky does not.

Pickett is in year two with room to grow. Trubisky is not.

Those are just a few ways your comparison is, at best, misguided.

9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    What exactly has Pickett done to earn the right to compete for QB position next year that sets him apart from Trubisky or Rudolph?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is where you and others fail. It isn't some moral thing. It's not about earning the right. It is about ability and upside. Also, y'all act as if Pickett has never done anything right, which means you have very short memories.

Pickett has had a stretch of four touchdown passes in three games this season. Rudolph has three in the last three.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You're spot on.
    I gotta add to criticism for this site.
    Throughout my career I done a lot of these boards and fan interaction.
    QB and coach are always top topics and the easiest of targets.

Washington is among the worst also on those topics. They have no idea what a QB is since they haven't had one in 20+ years and the last one they had they ran out of town to a Super Bowl - Brad Johnson.

Big Ben has spoiled most. I'd have to admit, myself included. I hated to watch his last game. (All those great moments rolled through my mind like highlight clips)
    Guys like him don't happen a lot. He fit the Steeler mystic and he fit right the among guys like 'The Bus' and Troy, and Harrison etc... he fitted right in.
    Any QB that happens here is going to have to face those comparisons and live up to those standards else "He's a Bust."
    I remember the Bobby Laynes, ED Browns... etc before Bradshaw.

If boards existed then... whew.
    I liked Terry Hanratty and Pittsburgh took Bradshaw with the #1 pick.
    Bradshaw was an interception machine, leading to folks saying he was colorblind and dumb. Remember: "He couldn't spell 'cat' if I spot him the 'c' and the 't' (Today it would be a meltdown)
    He, as we all know, he even lost the starting job to Joe Gilliam.
    Can you imagine the heated debates today? Wow.

I'm excited about Mason's resurgence. But my God, he is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.
    He was basically out of the league for a year after we finally resigned him after nobody wanted him.
    I was disappointed in that during Training Camp I saw Mason throwing better than Mitch. Everyday. (but we had that idiot Matt Canada)
    I felt like they had the right plan but the wrong person -- Kenny rides the pine and Mason starts for a year or two.
    I think they could still do that.
    Or at this stage, flush it all and start all over. I'm beginning to think the nuclear option might be the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they really are still looking at Pickett as their franchise quarterback, they can't sit him for two years. They need to make a decision on his fifth-year option long before that. I doubt they are picking it up if he sits all of next season.

If they can re-sign Rudolph at a reasonable rate, the best option would be to have a genuine competition between him and Pickett next preseason. I'm not sure that is realistic. I'm guessing Rudolph will go elsewhere. This assumes he has at least a decent showing Sunday. If he collapses under the pressure from the Bills, I'm not sure anybody will be looking at him as a potential starter. At the very least, he's earned himself a spot as a top backup. If he lights it up Sunday, then I imagine he's going to get more money than the Steelers want to spend from someone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Scribe with respect Mason has completed some nice passes with defenders in his face he doesn't always have a clean pocket.

Kenny Pickett will be here next season. Don't know if Mason will be. And Mitch the Pick best be cut or traded for a Ham Sandwich.

They need to bring someone in to compete and not hand Pickett the starting position.

The other thing I like since Mason has started he has fire. Pickett it seems that he is sleep walking very little emotion.

Will Mason be a 17 game starter in the league? IDK. But he is going to get some serious cash after the season and his agent is salivating even as back up #2

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so far, this is what we have seen.

maybe he can be better next year w new coaching, but for now, this is what we have seen MINUS coughing up the balls, the TO's

he is a DRIVER KILLER, a 3 and out machine in 2023.

blame whatever you want - Canada , whatever - but he missed MANY MANY throws right in front of him to move the chains this year.

facts are facts

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    KFP bailing too soon is the reason why the Oline is more cohesive now and can pass protect for Rudolph. They know exactly where Mason is and the Oline play has been significantly improved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

So yeah, that was looking at it from a fan perspective on my part.

Looking at it through the NFL lens:
    Kenny Pickett is not going anywhere. As an NFL person I know that we failed miserably in his development. I am hiring an legit OC and maybe looking at upgrading my QB coaching. Through the NFL lens, he was showing signs of promise and regressed, that's a coaching problem. How far he goes is up to him.

Mason Rudolph. Viewing from a GM lens is a bit of a dilemma.
    He is not the long-term answer, or at the least not yet. (win in the playoffs and we have something to think about)
    We know he is not the long-term answer because we basically abandoned him in a field somewhere in rural PA.
    You're right about the contract. Mason probably will go elsewhere. Right now he is rated somewhere mid-pack for FA QB's. It might go up.

If Mason leaves, then we have 3 QB spots open (they say they like to go into QB competition with 4) provided they are not insane enough to bring back Mitch.
    For example: They could sign Tyrod Taylor who is a journeyman ending his career, he could push Pickett hard, and any rookie they might draft.
    In either case, I'm pretty certain they are going to add a Veteran for the #1/#2 (which doesn't completely rule out Mason)
    I figure they'll draft one late - too many immediate needs.

They'll go to camp and winner of the QB competition trots out on the field to lead a new offense with a new OC.

FA QBS..
    Tannehill, Brissett and Taylor look like the higher ranked FA behind Cousins. Brissett and Taylor are probably most affordable (a lot can change)
    A wild card is Jake Browning.

The whole FA thing will change as the time approaches.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Pickets game would take a big step forward if he would just learn to stay in the pocket. Whether it’s because hes afraid of taking a hit or just likes to be on the move, if he would just stay in there his game would improve a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No quarterback ever has a game that he never faces any pressure, but Rudolph mostly had time to go through his progressions against the Bengals and Seahawks. It certainly didn't look like the lousy protection we have seen in many games earlier this season.

A quarterback having fire is subjective and barely relevant. Eli Manning never showed fire, but he has two Super Bowl rings.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd like to see if a good offensive coaching staff can fix that. More consistent protection would help, too.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Browning is going to be interesting. I could see him being more in demand than Rudolph, though I'm not sold on him, either. Rudolph has a chance to change that in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah he kind of gets happy feet sooner then he should. I feel like he is not going through all of his reads and then also looking for a place to run

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of that is poor habits Pickett brought with him from Pitt, but it is also influenced by external factors. For most of his career, he was stuck with the incompetent Matt Canada as his offensive coordinator. He got one full game without Canada and looked so much better. He has also been pushed to avoid turnovers at all costs by the coaching staff, something that took away his aggressiveness. Throw in the fact that his pass protection was poor last season and most of this one. It is tough to hang in the pocket when you can't trust your protection. The protection was much better against the Bengals and Seahawks in part due to the low quality of the opposition. The version of the Bengals Rudolph faced was weaker than the one Pickett faced. They lost Reader for the season before that second game and their only good pass rusher, Hendrickson, was injured during the game. He was able to return later, but didn't really do much once he got back in the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he bails quickly, Mason has shown us that much

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Good analysis only I am not going to agree with you on the OL and pass protection being bad and then all of a sudden its better because of weaker defenses. I really do think this offense performs better as a whole and OLine is cohesive because of Mason. Yes an OC could improve Kennys overall performance and for one am hopeful he gets the help he needs. Personally, I feel like he was brought in too soon with terrible conditions including a subpar Oline and a bad OC. Will see this coming yearr and we will indeed know on Sunday if this Oline is up for the challenge of a better defence although I must say Baltimore's defense used alot of their first string players which kind of goes against the narrative people were spinning up after the turds loss.

The Oline improved because of Mason sitting in pocket and not scrambling around and bailing the first chance he got.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1