1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Admits Browns Gameplan Surprised Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That plot of pass locations does not change at all . It is exactly the same today as it was a week ago or 4 or 5 weeks ago.
    Kenny does not have a rifle of an arm why do they ask him to throw everything to the sidelines, why not something as radical as a WR crossing in front of him where he just has to throw it 12 or 15 yds to gain 7 or 8 .

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then go root for the Jets, Zach Wilson is an even worse QB than Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Bigk has proven beyond a shadow of doubt he can’t read a zone defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    That’s debatable both are horrible at the moment Pickett has weapons every where it’s unbelievable he’s this bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

People are going to ignore this and just keep saying Kenny Pickett sucks.

He's not playing well, but anybody that watched that game and think Pickett had all these opportunities doesn't know what they're talking about. Name your great quarterback and they would have struggled to do anything yesterday in that offense, with that gameplan, and all the breakdowns in protection and miscommunications with receivers against that defense.

The Browns' defense dominated this offense. Pickett was pressured constantly, there were very few open receivers, the protections broke down the entire game, and Matt Canada can't scheme an offense or call plays to take advantage of anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson apparently threw Pickett under the bus, claiming that he ran the right route. (I assume he was talking about the second-down play on the drive that started with 1:42 remaining.)

8. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    Also they prepared for man to man all week and Browns went zone entire game so there’s that ?

9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Not sure why they schemed man when it is widely known that Pickett struggles against zone. Asinine that our coaches went this route

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Dude that’s a crock. Pickett has shown repeatedly he can’t read a zone defense. He chokes over and over and over again. This is a Pickett issue not a tomlin issue, not Canada, not the oline, not dropped passes, it is pure and simple a Pickett issue

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I guess all the other times it was his fault

Did you review the film already?

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Not yet, but don’t need to review it either. It was blatantly obvious what the browns were doing. We also have 20 something games of Kenny struggling with the same crap. At this point in time he is not an nfl caliber quarterback. Will he develop into one in a few more years? It’s possible, but one would hope we would have seen something resembling a sign of better things to come. Unfortunately we haven’t. Not once have we seen bigk play a complete game.At this point his only redeeming quality is not throwing interceptions and to be honest he’s had more than his fair share of luck in that department

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

So you know everything that happened and figured it all out without looking at it?

I guess Kurt Warner doesn't know what he's talking about either. Thank God you know more than a HOF quarterback that actually looked at the film.

So only negative comments about Kenny Pickett?

None about the offensive line and the blown protections that happened all game?

Nothing about the free runners coming at him when they had the numbers to block? Even when only rushing 4?

Nothing about D Johnson not looking for the ball, or not jumping for a ball 18 inches over his helmet, or miscommunications with routes?

Nothing about the lack of hot routes?

Nothing about plays designed to defeat man coverage, not zone?

Nothing about Canada's offense ever. It's always on KP according to you.

Nothing about Tomlin with 1:42 to go making sure they get the initial first down before they go into full 2 minute mode, so he leaves too much time on the clock?

Nothing about the coach that is overseeing the entire operation that is a complete ****show?

It's all on Kenny Pickett.

That sounds like a crock to me. The more you know about football, the more you know how many other things go into an offensive system and how all the parts work. If you don't acknowledge deficiencies everywhere and only put it at the feet of one player, that's just not being objective.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    what did Warner say back in October? Kenny struggled to read defenses. Hmmmm

we see wide open receivers every single game and Kenny either misses them or ignores them. We’ve seen the same **** from Pickett for 22 games. He’s thrown 13 touchdowns in those games. It took the very last play of the game for picket to pass the 100 yard mark. Tomlin called out Pickett this week. Dj completely threw him under the. Us last night. Pickett is playing terrible football.You can try and point the finger at everyone else under the sun, but that doesn’t change the fact kenny is the weakest link right now. Before the season started I stated on more than one occasion one of my biggest concerns was Pickett vs zone. What have we seen through 10 games in 2023? A qb that can’t read a zone defense.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    It’s all of the above

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wilson has a top 10 defense, and good enough weapons but he can't win games :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    got it Bigk!, thanks.

I’m not convinced that’s the problem. I think he’s being told where to throw and even if there are open receivers that are not the primaries he doesn’t have time to scan the field to find them. We’d have to look at the replays to see what’s really going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we have some of the worst coaches in the league. but that is known by most here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Of course he has his struggles and things he needs to improve on. I see both sides of it. Far too many want to lay everything at his feet as you are doing.

I'm glad DJ threw him under the bus. Mr. Small in Big or Pressure Situations has spoken. Who F's up more than that guy? You know, the guy making more than $18 million a year that disappears and drops passes when his team needs him most, and the guy that was voted most likely WR to take a pre-snap penalty in the NFL.

Here's a gem from DJ talking about Matt Canada saying "It's not like he's intentionally trying to F@#k up." There's a ringing endorsement. Maybe we should believe that direct statement from DJ since you seem to think we should listen to him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ts-not-like-hes-intentionally-trying-to-f-up/

Does that sound like great coaching to you or that players believe in him?

How about Pat Freiermuth saying there were no hot routes built into the plays at the end of last season? Does that resonate with you or seem like something that is great coaching?

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-te-pat-freiermuth-offense-hot-routes-kenny-pickett-2022

Does that sound like great coaching to you?

Does the kicker saying that Canada sucks mean anything to you?

You claim to know football. There are mistakes happening and horrible scheming all over the place. Is it all on the players? I'll answer that for you. No, it's not all on the players. Any coach worth his salt wouldn't allow that to continue over and over again. Unless you think that coaches are just supposed to watch their players screw up over and over again. It is up to the coach to get players to do their jobs properly. At some point, it all points to the coach if it isn't corrected. Do you agree with that or not?

If you think Canada is doing a bang up job, good for you. I guess we'll find out what the organization feels about his performance. You seem to think Canada isn't an issue. I guess we'll see.

I think it's Canada and ultimately much of this will fall on Tomlin. I have always been a fan of Tomlin and have defended him, but right now he appears to be a head coach that doesn't seem to know what to do no matter who his quarterback is. His OC can't produce a good offense at the NFL level in 3 seasons, and each season the offense has gotten worse. Sure sounds like a problem with the coaching to me. The quarterback's struggles are part of that, but the quarterback's struggles are also in part to playing in an offense that isn't NFL-level. Nearly everyone says that about Matt Canada's offense, and Mike Tomlin is overseeing the operation. To deny that is ridiculous if you know what you claim to know about offense.

20. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Kenny struggles with Zone so bring pressure and play zone and it's going to a long back half of the season with the Matt Canader regime.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its Pickett's fault they can't gameplan too though. They are very obviously calling plays super conservatively because they don't trust Kenny to cut it loose. They are quite literally calling the plays as if they are conceding that their QB sucks and they are just trying to not turn it over on offense. The fact that Pickett can barely complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield also hinders the gameplan. The opposition just blitzes more than we can block and drops into an "un-decipherable" zone. Kenny can't make the read to punish them, so they just. keep. sending. dudes. after. him.

Replacing Kenny with an NFL caliber QB would nearly instantly alleviate most of the issues this offense experiences. The OL would be under less stress because they defense will now be worried about the forward pass and would put less in the box, the playbook would open up because the QB would be capable of executing it to its fullest extent, more running lanes would open up because there aren't 8-9 guys in the box on every play, etc.

I absolutely refuse to believe that in the last 3 games while rushing for 543 total yards (181 avg per game) that our offense would fail no matter who the QB was. Even an average QB would have thrived in that environment. Our QB threw for 393 yards in that stretch. 5 QB's have thrown for over 400 yards in a single game this year (one of those is a rookie).... It's inexcusable. Look, I know it's never 100% on one player in a team game - but we cant keep blaming everything else under the sun. The QB has to perform. HAS TO. He isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  22. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

He has faced some of the lowest number of blitzes in the NFL. Maybe you should know what you're talking about before making a claim. Most of the pressure on Pickett is generated with just 4 rushing. That means he gets as much or more pressure as others with more defenders to drop into coverage. You're point couldn't be more wrong.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't waste Your time. It doesn't matter what You see...if He has read an article saying something else...then that's is more true, but what He doesn't understand....it the guy writing most of those articles need a job, and can't say.....the Qbs sucks....until everyone else says the Qbs sucks.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Your
    the mental gymnastics are hysterical. The horror a player stuck up for his coach! Only a United would try and spin that into a negative. Nice try on the Boswell thing. Go back and listen to the muth interview again. Pay close attention to what he actually says

25. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

What's hysterical is you using what DJ said as a negative by saying he threw him under the bus. Then I give a direct quote from DJ talking about how his OC is f@#king up, but you just blow it off like it doesn't matter. I hope you stretched well so you didn't hurt yourself with those gymnastics.

I did listen the Muth interview. Do you watch film like you say you do? Do you see when there are blitzes and all the receivers are all running down the field with their backs to the quarterback and he has to get rid of the ball or eat the sack? That means that there isn't a hot route, or receivers are not making the adjustment to the blitz. It happens often. You can't have it both ways. Either way, the hot routes aren't part of the play, or the receivers are screwing up and not being held accountable. Either way, it's coaching.