1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kelvin Beachum Available

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Feb 16, 2017.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Would fit in perfectly? I wonder how. As a backup? You think he is going to look to be a backup. I think the article is wrong. Unless his play in Jacksonville was well below the bar, I don't see him coming here to be a backup. Someone will give him low end starter money.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There is an unwritten rule that EVERY Steeler player that leaves and then becomes available again within 2 years MUST BE RE-SIGNED BY THE TEAM! I thought everyone knew that. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The jags were on here some. I can say I seen him a couple times. He didn't look the same. May have been system I don't know

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If he takes a real cap friendly deal and checks out physically I would say absolutely. Can't have enough solid back ups. Although it seems his knee injury has set him back but no harm in kicking the tires.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We won't have the cap space. AL V is the future for the next 5 years or so. That is why they want to lock him up now, before he gets too expensive next year. Left tackles make big coin in this league. As far as depth I hear high praises of our 4th round pick last year Jerald Hawkins as well, that he would have made the 53 man roster had he not suffered a season ending injury in camp last year.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Couglin in Jacksonville said they wanted to get there offensive and defenses lines tougher. One of the first steps was not resigning Beachum who gave up 8 sacks last year, although he played with a QB Bortels who holds the ball even longer then Ben does. Beachum was still better then their backup. The local beat writers quoted team sources saying if they want to get big money they have to play big time.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont need him. I appreciated his hard work while he was here but his limited skill set isnt going to improve with age.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hawkins, AV, harris, mihalik, hubbard, gilbert, milton, feiler we are pretty set at tackle. at least 4 of those can play guard as well. one can play center too. add matthews, friend and finney and we have plenty of linemen to start camp. wallace may even have a go again. :cool:

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

If anything, we already have a potential starting caliber tackle (or guard possibly) waiting in the wings.

His name? Jerald Hawkins. Held up pretty well against Detriot when he played in his first tatse of NFL action in the preseason.

Jeff Hartman of BTSC claimed that he thought that Hawkins may have a bigger level of growth than even Artie, Sean, and Javon. He stated that there was even talk of him potentially starting at tackle should anything have happened to either Gilbert or Big Al last season during OTA's.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    plus we have an O-line coach that can work wonders with most of these guys. mihalik didn't look bad when he played in the preseason. hawkins looked good. hubbard has come a long way. even feiler playing at guard looked better. they have kept these guys around to learn from one of if not the best coach going at that position and it's paid off in spades for us. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    We got 12 OL on our roster.. dont need a 13th.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Why would he come here to be a backup when he can start for a team and get more money, makes no sense to me as to why he would want to be a backup with his career still in front of him...;..

15. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    He had a choice, and he chose to chase the money to a team that sucks. Now he's unemployed...

Not bitter, but he had a chance to be on this team and chose to move on. Villanueva is our LT now

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He isn't even in Steelers radar. He isn't going to be a starter and we have plenty of backups, plus practice squad and draft. Plus we seldom bring back cast offs.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Depth

If the contract is team friendly, to the point where he has to make the team or no loss to the Steelers, I say he is worth the look.

As far as coming in as a backup versus being a starter somewhere else, if he truly could be a starter elsewhere, then I doubt he will stay available long. However, if this last season dropped his stock, then his familiarity with this team, might give him another shot if the alternative is bagging groceries.