1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep The Cuts Coming

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Mar 2, 2012.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All this talk about Farrior coming back at the vet minimum is nonsense. He is done and its time to let go. The man will be 37 years old this year, his time is up. The Steelers have done the right thing. It time to get rid of the rest of the old crew. Ward, Smith, Farrior, Kemo just wasn't good, and now Foote and Hampton should be next. Casey for sure because he is not worth 4.8 million and a 1 milion dollar work out claus. They can save that 5.8 million and whatever foote is worth. There are more pressing needs like, keeping Wallace who drew double teams the last half of last season while Brown was single covered. Now just think if we lose Wallace and now Brown is double team next season from the start. What would Sauders do? Break up the young money crew? I don't think so! I think the Steelers will be taking a big risk by putting a first round tender on Wallace. If New England signs him we will only get pick number 27, if the Bengals sign him thats pick 17 or 21. It might be worth it if we get pick 17. Now if the Rams sign him and we get pick number 2, then it would be well worth it, but I doubt that will happen.

So lets get rid of Hampton, Foote, Leftwich, Madison, Essex, Starks, Jonathan Scott, David Johnson, Melwelde Moore because his replacement is Baron Batch, and Suisham. Anybody got any problems with this list? Its time to move on.

There is plenty more money to be saved by making these moves so that they can keep Wallace!

- We need a better kicker, someone who can reaach the endzone on kickoffs
    - They need to bring in a Full Back, TE Davie Johnson no longer needed
    - Mendenhall is no longer needed, ACL and not being ready for the start of the season is no help. Let him go! Redman will get it done!
    - Build the O-line after you make these moves
    - Draft should be either Poe at NT or a starting Guard. If Poe is drafted in the first round, then a Guard should be drafted in the second round. I think there is quality at Guard in the second round.

If the steelers are not afraid to make these moves and keep Wallace. They will be good and contend for the division next season.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I do not see Foote going anywhere as of now...unless they think Sylvestor can take over the starting spot OR they plan on signing a FA...as they cannot predict what they will get via the draft.

Colbert already said Hampton will be back...so i do not see him being cut as of now either (though I agree and do not think he's worth the $8-9 mil he's suppose to make this year).

Of the rest you mentioned Leftwich, Madison, Essex, Starks, Jonathan Scott, David Johnson, Melwelde Moore....all of them besides Scott/Johnson are UFAs already so they do not need to cut them...Johnson is a RFA though. Scott though is scheduled to make between 2-3 mil...which i do not think he's worth as a backup, and i'm not sure if cutting him will save much or not.

3. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Wow. No offense but i think after the first sentence i disagree with just about everything u said. Cant cut 25% of the damn team. Agree with whats been done so far and even with a few more but u cant replace half the staters with backups man. Tho i do think both suisham and sep r gone. Absolutely HAVE to keep foote. No backup or rook can run the d with no experience

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hard to take these type of posts serious when you don't even understand that half the names mentioned are free agents and don't need to be cut. Research is your friend.

5. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    make all these cuts and sign 10 of the same thing BIG BACKS lets get it done a team full of big backs rolls eyes lol

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    My only real problem with that list is Johnson.
    He seemed to do a lot of good things for us last season.
    Hampton, I always liked, and i don`t know how well McClendon, or a to be determined guy is going to replace him, but I think he is done after theis last knee surgery. Damn shame, `cause he was good... when he wanted to be...
    As far as Leftwich, I just have to wonder who our backup is going to be?
    Dixon is as good as gone, Batch, while I like him, is just getting old to take the hits, so who is back there?
    I saw we signed Troy Smith to a "futures contract", or whatever a few weeks ago, but that hardly inspires my confidence, if Ben goes down.
    Starks, I MIGHT want to keep, because he has done well when healthy, and was pretty solid last year when we brought him back, but with his injuries/age, I wouldn`t mind seeing him replaced.(Even tho Ben would)...
    And I have never been a big fan of Mewelde Moore, But I can`t say he hasn`t made some big plays for us, when called upon...He has certainly never "stunk up the joint", while on the field.
    I am just reeling with all the cuts this last week... Some I expected, some I hoped wouldn`t happen...
    Some, I agreed with...
    No matter what... I will be rooting for the Black-n-Gold to get their 7th Lombardi this year!!!
    GO STEEEEELLLEERRRSSSS!!! :herewego: :yeehaw: :popcorn:

7. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So if they are free agents, then good, don't bring them back, whats the big deal. The real understanding to this post is to let these people go and bring in some young fresh talent.

8. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    in addition to kemo, you also want to 'cut' essex, starks, and jonathan scott? how do you suggest we replace all of these linemen? we do need something call 'depth.'

jonathan scott is the worst lineman i've seen since jamain stephens. us re-signing him is actually more confusing to me than the limas sweed suppport on here.

max starks just saved our season last year. i may be in the minority, but i actually like the big guy over there at left tackle. not sure what his injury status is though. didn't he tear his acl in the denver game? that would make that decision easy.

mendenhall needs to go. i've never warmed up to him. believe it or not (check the numbers), willie parker was more productive than mendy.

9. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Amen!

10. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Seems to me that the time to make a lotta cuts is not after a team has had a good season. Because of the way the draft is set up those teams that did well don't get high draft selections. Now the steelers had a pretty good season. Even though they got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, they did make the playoffs. Consequently their drafting position isn't very high, don't know the exact number yet. So they'll theoretically be replacing really good players with some middle of the road type of guys. Not a good strategy.

11. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They have lots of draft picks that have not played yet because of theese veterans. We have some pieces allready on our team. Just have to get some more talent on there.

Heck Smith has not played for like 3 years. Farrior played half the time. Kemo got benched. Ward barely played at the end of the year.

They already were done last year. And we went won 12 games. We will be fine.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wanderer, we agree on most things usually, but this one perplexes me. all the max starks fans make me scratch my head and wonder why. did you guys not watch the games or just believe what the media said about starks bringing the line together in his first game back and never bothered to pay attention to him after that? max in all his glory that you guys give him, stunk up the position as bad as anyone. you guys talk about how bad scott was, and he was in the indy game, but max looked as bad if not worse in the cleveland game, kc game and one other that eludes me at this moment, but to run one down and praise the other is crazy. most didn't even notice that scott actually came in for max in a game during max's run and noone noticed. he even played RT in a few and played well. bottom line is , i want neither of them back. how easily we forget his bad,bad games for some reason is a head scratcher for me. as the season went on max fattened back up just like he always does and got made a fool of, and we praise him for some unknown reason. cut them both and be done with this madness. :shrug: :cool:

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My slight issue with your "cut everybody" policy is that, unless there's a major change in philosophy - and admittedly there have been some signs of this happening - rookies simply don't get to see the field with the Steelers, barring injury. Remember how Ben had to sit behind Maddox? Next year is going to be much more about the depth we've drafted over the last three or four years than new bodies. If we happen to pick up a Pouncey-esque player who just can't be ignored, then brilliant. But I sometimes think we as fans have a tendency to get a bit Madden-ish around this time.

14. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They have lots of draft picks that have not played yet because of theese veterans. We have some pieces allready on our team. Just have to get some more talent on there.

Heck Smith has not played for like 3 years. Farrior played half the time. Kemo got benched. Ward barely played at the end of the year.

They already were done last year. And we went won 12 games. We will be fine
    .[/quote:3f3lyeb2]

This really puts it in perspective. We've been assessing these losses in terms of the players' entire careers with the Steelers. While I'm concerned about the loss in the locker room, it's not like we're losing a whole lot on the field. Great post, Greg.

:hello:

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd like to add Charlie Batch to the cut list or actually, the do not re sign list. He may have low mileage the past few years, but it's time to find another serviceable backup.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm interested to see how fichtner does with jerrod johnson this year. :cool: